• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Gas Tank Capacity

BigJim

What is the capacity of the gas tank on a 68? Its almost time to winterize her and I need to figure out how much Stabil to put in the gas tank.

Thanks

Midnight Special

...FYI, in one '68 coupe we had, what appeared to be the original tank held 18 gals. We found out when TJ ran out of gas. I was wondering at the time if some cars may have been produced with larger tanks...

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

16 sounds close enough for me.

Thanks for the info.

gt/csj4

...FYI, in one '68 coupe we had, what appeared to be the original tank held 18 gals. We found out when TJ ran out of gas. I was wondering at the time if some cars may have been produced with larger tanks...

I had heard a rumor about this exact thing not too long ago actually. I do know corvettes ( i know different car but I'm on to something here lol) could be ordered with what was known as the "touring package" in 63-64 cars... or something to that nature, and it gave the buyer a larger The 36.5 gallon fuel tank (coded N03) Which I assume was meant for touring cars at la mans for longer distance but offered on the production end

I was curious about it, so I then looked and found if Ford offered the same thing, which they did in their larger cars and trucks, but the only thing I could find that supports Mustangs, is the 71-73 cars could be ordered with an optional 22 gal gas tank. Any truth to this? And/or any supporting evidence that suggests that early cars could be ordered with them too? :confused:

Last edited:

CougarCJ

I was curious about it, so I then looked and found if Ford offered the same thing, which they did in their larger cars and trucks, but the only thing I could find that supports Mustangs, is the 71-73 cars could be ordered with an optional 22 gal gas tank. Any truth to this? And/or any supporting evidence that suggests that early cars could be ordered with them too? :confused:

I am not aware of any optional fuel tanks or extra capacity tanks, on any Mustang. The only thing that comes to mind is in 1970, California had 20 gallon tanks, and the rest of the 49 states had 22 gallon tanks. This was due to the California cars needing Evaporative Emissions Systems. The evaporative emissions were standard in 1971 and consisted of fuel vapors being vented back to the fuel tanks.

Ruppstang

I know for sure that there were no options on fuel capacity. I do know that a 69 tank is 20 gal. and will bolt right in. Most likely it was changed some where along the line. Some times in Wyoming or Nevada I wish I had 4 more gallons but most of the time the old blatter needs a rest near the end of 16 gal.

gazrox

I don't know, they way we are being robbed at the gas stations in Saskatoon it seems that my gas tank shrinks every week. :mad: