CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/01/2014, 11:42 AM   #1
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Front End Alignment

Just FYI:

My steering was slightly "twitchy" at highway speeds. It almost seemed as if I had too much slop somewhere in the steering linkage (maybe a worn part, etc). But I checked that and it seemed that everything was as tight as it could be (for 1968 power steering technology). So I thought I'd check the alignment. The alignment was within the original Ford spec...

Original Ford spec:
Caster angle degrees
Limits: -3/4 to +1 1/4
desired: +1/4
Camber angle degrees, Left and Right
Limits:+1/4 to +1 3/4
Desired +1
Toe in , inch 3/16

But after doing a bit of research on the web I came across some different specs (from Dazecars.com) which have been mentioned/suggested on different mustang forums as better specs for use with radial tires:

Spec from Dazecars:
Please align to these specs ď1967-1970 Mustang, Falcon & Cougar Performance Alignment with or without UCA dropĒ.
These specifications are in order of importance.
1. NO more than .25 degrees difference between driverís side and passengerís side.
2. +2.0 to +3.5 degrees caster.
3. -.5 to 0 degrees camber. No positive camber, please. There is no problem having a slight variation from driverís side to passengerís side to account for the crown in the road.
4. 1/16" to 1/8Ē toe in

So, I did an alignment to these specs. Specifically:
Caster: +3.5*
Camber: -0.25*
ToeIn: 1/8"

The steering is much better. The feeling of excess play is gone. It comes pretty close to feeling like a modern car. One note, evidently as you increase the caster angle on a manual steering car, turning the steering wheel at slow speeds becomes more difficult. But with power steering there is very little difference.

Just thought I pass this on....

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2014, 02:12 PM   #2
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
The original specs were done with bias ply tires in mind. Altering the settings for radials is a common tweak that results in improvements as you note...

In general, more caster applies more centering force to keep the wheels tracking true... negative camber also helps maintain true tracking (dependent on suspension and chassis alignment, but that gets pretty complicated to really determine) and reduces body roll.

An interesting write up on the three aspects of an alignment here:

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2014, 11:32 AM   #3
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalorzo_f View Post

An interesting write up on the three aspects of an alignment here:

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html
Looks like a good writeup. Thanks.

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions