CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/15/2014, 11:32 PM   #1
mbsf1970

Dream car: '68 GTCS Pres Blue

Removing paint from center caps?

I recently received in the mail a set of 4 original gt center caps for my rims. The issue (unseen in for sale photo) is that a previous owner painted (with a brush) the interior of the Gt lettering with red paint. Not the nicest job ever...brush strokes, uneven paint application etc...so....

What nasty chemical would make quick work of this and how to properly repaint?

There also seems to be a few wraps of black electrical tape on inner ridge of backside of caps. Was this added by an owner to thicken up ridge, secure it better to rim to prevent loss of cap?

As usual, many thanks to al those who endure my litany of questions.....even more thanks to those who proffer answers.
Stephen
mbsf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 02:08 AM   #2
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Guess it depends on the type of paint.

I've had good luck with caustic soda on a lot of parts, but with metal parts you have to beware of rust. Standard paint stripper shuld work, and if applied carefully should not damage the rest.

I've tried painting these a few times and its always a PITA to mask and to get the paint to lay on the chrome well. Get if super clean, wash repeatedly with wax and grease remover to prep, light scuffing with 240 or medium steel wool can rought the surface slightly. I found taping and a light shot of primer then color to work best. Rattle cans, while convenient, never really gave a great finish in my experience.

A lot of work for a little job.

I've always wondered how they did these in OEM manufacturing to get such a good finish and little overspray, some clever masking/spray process.
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 02:10 AM   #3
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
... and on the tape, they are known to rattle so probably some "padding" to keep them snug.
Old 05/16/2014, 04:49 AM   #4
6t8-390gt

IMO, you have a couple of options:

1. You can remove the "GT" letters from the backside of the cap and then use paint striper to remove the paint. Once removed you can spray as noted.

2. I took my caps to a sign shop [one that still uses paint for some signs (pinstriping shop also)] and had them paint the centers using One Shot paint.

3. Remove letters and replace with reproductions( available from most venders). More costly, but the easiest. Also a good option if the letters are pitted.

Danny

68 S code GT Fastback, 68 J code GT Conv., 68 1/2 R code GT Coupe

6t8-390gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 07:17 AM   #5
Maine gt/cs

My Garage
Your going to laugh at this one, but a friend of mine that has been painting for 30 plus years told me to use(here it comes) Finger Nail Polish. Once you get the old paint off, clean the letters with rubbing alcohol and let dry. I sat down at my kitchen table with the 4 caps and painted the inside of the letters with the finger nail polish just to try his idea. That was 3 years ago and they still look like I had just did them. The polish lays on flat and thick with no brush marks at all. The brush that comes attached to the cap is the perfect size. After the first coat dried, I put on a second coat like my wife suggested. No, not on me, the caps. Like my wife said, look at the punishment we women put our nails through and they still look great at the end of the day. Then you almost need a bench grinder to get the stuff back off. I have been caught in the rain, brake dust, and what ever else comes off the road and the letters still look great. Like I said, It's been 3 years. The color I used is called Revlon Red 680. This is almost the same color as that came from the factory. My car is Candyapple Red and it is so close to that. A very cheap fix if you are just using as a daily driver. Ok, you can stop laughing now. Try it on a piece of or an old hub cap to see first. Nice and shiny.

Tim

1968 J-Code, 4 Speed, Candy Apple Red
Scratch a dog and you will find a permanent job.
Maine gt/cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 07:51 AM   #6
68CaliSp
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to 68CaliSp Send a message via Yahoo to 68CaliSp
My Garage
+1 to Dalorzo_f

I spent a good month trying to track down what I thought was a new and unhealthy rattle on my old car. I asked a friend of mine about it when he was riding with me and he suggested checking the GT caps after listening for all of a minute... I got a good laugh out of it afterwards; not the first time these cars have taken me a loop or two or three.

Gulfstream Aqua GT/CS, 390 4V Auto
Metalic Red 67 Coupe, Straight Six 3-spd
68CaliSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 08:47 AM   #7
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
I think Tim's idea is brilliant! Nail polish should do the trick.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 01:05 PM   #8
6t8-390gt

I like Tim's idea too! I have a couple old caps sitting around, I might just try it this weekend for fun!

Danny

68 S code GT Fastback, 68 J code GT Conv., 68 1/2 R code GT Coupe

6t8-390gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 01:33 PM   #9
mbsf1970

Methyl hydrate.......1 clean in 30 minutes, 3 to go.....
Old 05/16/2014, 02:39 PM   #10
mbsf1970

Did the Gt. lettering ever come in black?? I'm thinking of doing them in red anyway...make them pop! Off to the pharmacy for some Revlon red!
Stephen
Old 05/16/2014, 02:46 PM   #11
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
67's had black GT lettering....but only on the gas cap as they did not use the dog dish hubcaps w/emblems. And the fingernail polish idea is brilliant!
Old 05/16/2014, 03:00 PM   #12
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsf1970 View Post
Did the Gt. lettering ever come in black?? I'm thinking of doing them in red anyway...make them pop! Off to the pharmacy for some Revlon red!
Stephen
You may want to take a cap with you so your purchase is a little easier to explain!!!
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 06:38 PM   #13
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
You may want to take a cap with you so your purchase is a little easier to explain!!!
Nah...he's going to walk in there like a man and pick out his nail polish...

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2014, 10:37 AM   #14
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
I'm pretty sure you need to use this brand nail polish though.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...n-opi-nai.html

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ollection.html

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2014, 10:30 PM   #15
mbsf1970

That's just lovely!!! now I have to compare 2 brands! Oh my, should be a fun outing!
Stephen

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions