CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/04/2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Mosesatm

Underside Scratch

While I was cleaning the underside of the C-code I noticed this scratch above the front U-joint. Unfortunately I don't know if I exposed the scratch or if it was there.

Any ideas what could cause that mark?
I can't think of any way the U-joint could rub there, unless it blew apart sometime in the past.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint Mark.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	14326  
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2011, 06:57 PM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I think if the U-Joint blew apart, it would've beat up the metal. This is just a guess, but back in the late 70's/early 80's, there were aftermarket cruise control units that had magnets that mounted to the driveline with baling wire to create a field for a pickup coil. If it came loose, it would cause that kind of mark as it rotated around with the driveshaft. We won't talk about how I came to this theory just by looking at scratches on the bottom of your car.

Steve

PS. Are those two little screw holes, like you'd mount a bracket with, just to the right of the mark in the picture?

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Ruppstang

My Garage
It looks like is is too far forward for a u joint failer. Out here in farm country one can find a piece of wire on the road that can get waped up on the drive shaft. It makes a lot of noise. Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post
I think if the U-Joint blew apart, it would've beat up the metal. This is just a guess, but back in the late 70's/early 80's, there were aftermarket cruise control units that had magnets that mounted to the driveline with baling wire to create a field for a pickup coil. If it came loose, it would cause that kind of mark as it rotated around with the driveshaft. We won't talk about how I came to this theory just by looking at scratches on the bottom of your car.

Steve

PS. Are those two little screw holes, like you'd mount a bracket with, just to the right of the mark in the picture?
Steve,
I don't remember seeing any holes in that area. Probably just grease specs I missed. The camera flash shows everything!
Old 12/04/2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
It looks like is is too far forward for a u joint failer. Out here in farm country one can find a piece of wire on the road that can get waped up on the drive shaft. It makes a lot of noise. Marty
I'll bet whatever caused this scrape sure made a lot of noise!!!
Old 12/04/2011, 08:18 PM   #6
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I broke the front yoke in my brothers 1967 Camero. Made a similair dent/scratch in his tunnel. Angle of picture makes it hard to Tell the distance from the end of the tranny.

Made huge noise, and lucky for me the driveshaft was held up by the e-brake cable and did not drop down and jam into the pavement!! That would have really made a bad day!!

by the way, my cars needs some good underside cleaning! How much do you charge by the hour??

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Mosesatm

As usual cleaning wasn't the primary goal.

It started off when I broke the brake idiot (pun intended) light sending unit on the distribution block so I removed the block to remove the broken plastic piece, but one of the lines wouldn't come off because someone in the past rounded off one of the line nuts, so I had to cut the hard line and of course it was the longest line on the car; the one to the rear brakes!

So the task then turned into replacing the brake line, which quickly turned into fighting with grease, oil, and road grime falling on my face. It was definitely time to get the putty knife, degreaser, and the paper towels, but I'm glad I did because I found out that the red oxide underside on this car is absolutely beautiful, except for that nasty scratch!!!

As seems to be my SOP a simple 10 minute switch replacement turned into a two week adventure.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets sidetracked like this.
Old 12/04/2011, 08:56 PM   #8
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Arlie,
Trust me you are not!! Every ten minute fix I undertake seems to turn into a 4 hour ordeal!!!

by the way, both my cars have great red oxide on them...... Under the grease....

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Ruppstang

My Garage
I remember when I was a kid on a trip to the city we were waiting for a light and a car passing by lost the front u joint. The drive shaft caught on the pavement and knocked the whole rear axel out of the car. My brother and I thought it was realy cool!

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions