CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

SAAC-36 at VIR - May 27-29, 2011
Calendar: Event Calendar
computerworks  
SAAC-36

This Memorial Day weekend, the Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) will hold its 36th National Convention at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) in Alton VA.

We'd like to extend an invitation to all our GT/CS friends to come and share the exciting weekend of events.

The dates again are May 27 - 29, 2011. If you love Ford power, it is an experience you won't want to miss.

This year, SAAC-36 will be held jointly with the SVT Owners Association (SVTOA) and Shelby Cobra Mustang Club (SCMC) Superfest, making this huge convention a classic for both Vintage and Newgen Ford and Shelby enthusiasts.

This joint effort has enabled the clubs to secure the entire Grand Course at VIR... a spectacular 4.2 mile circuit.
Open Track at SAAC-36 will be a memorable event.

You'll experience Car shows, Concours judging, Vintage Shelby and Cobra wheel-to-wheel racing, parties and vendor exhibits...something for everyone.

Right now there are slots open for booking in every event. Online Registration can be accomplished by visiting the saac.com website

Discount pre-registration for SAAC, SVTOA and SCMC members.

More to follow. See you at SAAC-36
Old 04/30/2011, 04:53 PM   #2
J.Bart
My Car Details
 

Joined: Feb 03
Posts: 800

Send a message via AIM to J.Bart
saac 35 was so much fun!
i wish i could make it there.

jbart
J.Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2011, 05:00 PM   #3
NosAvrenim
 
NosAvrenim's Avatar
 

Location: Burke, VA
Joined: May 10
Posts: 103

Send a message via AIM to NosAvrenim
My Garage
Right in my own back yard, but sadly can't make it. Been putting off that "honey-do" list for a while and focusing on the 'stang too much. Oh well, maybe I'll still be able to make it to the Grand Nationals...maybe.
NosAvrenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2011, 05:38 AM   #4
computerworks
 

Joined: Apr 11
Posts: 13

It should be a great event... we are expecting a huge turnout and exhibits by Ford SVT, Shelby American and Ford Racing.

This means....able to be up close to the 2012 GT500, the new GT350 Convertible and the new Boss 302...incredible.

Open track on the 4.2 mile course will be amazing. Plus 2 car shows and over 30 vintage "masterpieces" in Concours judging...plus the wheel-to-wheel Vintage Race.

I will post some pictures as soon as my post count allows.
computerworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Midnight Special
My Car Details
 
Midnight Special's Avatar
 

Location: Grass Valley, California
Joined: Nov 05
Posts: 3,697

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
It should be a great event... ........

I will post some pictures as soon as my post count allows.

...Post away!
The photos and vids we saw of SAAC-35 were nothing short of awesome!
'Would love to be a track spectator, but as VIR's a bit far for me, we can never get enough of Shelby's & Bosses at their best! :-)

Last edited by Midnight Special; 05/03/2011 at 08:14 AM..

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2011, 09:58 AM   #6
computerworks
 

Joined: Apr 11
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special View Post
...Post away!
The photos and vids we saw of SAAC-35 were nothing short of awesome!
'Would love to be a track spectator, but as VIR's a bit far for me, we can never get enough of Shelby's & Bosses at their best! :-)
As soon as my post count let's me add images, I will show some shots of the event..
computerworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Mosesatm
 
Mosesatm's Avatar
 

Location: Spokane, Washington
Joined: Jan 05
Posts: 7,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
As soon as my post count let's me add images, I will show some shots of the event..
You may be able to make a photo gallery and post them there.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2011, 10:33 AM   #8
computerworks
 

Joined: Apr 11
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
You may be able to make a photo gallery and post them there.
Tried that...problem is that low post count is set to inhibit any links in posts, until a threshold is reached. I understand that.

Maybe it's set at 5 posts? ...we'll see.
computerworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Mosesatm
 
Mosesatm's Avatar
 

Location: Spokane, Washington
Joined: Jan 05
Posts: 7,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Tried that...problem is that low post count is set to inhibit any links in posts, until a threshold is reached. I understand that.

Maybe it's set at 5 posts? ...we'll see.
A photo gallery is not a post, it's the 3rd red item on the left of the screen that says, "Photo Gallery". I'm pretty sure people can make a gallery there without any post counts, but I won't swear to it..
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2011, 11:58 AM   #10
computerworks
 

Joined: Apr 11
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
A photo gallery is not a post, it's the 3rd red item on the left of the screen that says, "Photo Gallery". .
Yeah, but to show the pics in a post, you link to the images in the Gallery... and therein lies the rub... low post-count prohibits links in a post.
computerworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2011, 11:59 AM   #11
computerworks
 

Joined: Apr 11
Posts: 13

Let's see if "5" is the magic number...

computerworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2011, 12:00 PM   #12
computerworks
 

Joined: Apr 11
Posts: 13

YES!!!

Posts and pics to follow later tonite...thanks
computerworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2011, 02:02 PM   #13
computerworks
 

Joined: Apr 11
Posts: 13

SAAC-36 Preview - Open Track at SAAC-36


SAACís High Speed Event at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) will be similar in concept to the open track events held at past national conventions. This is not a competitive event. There will be no classes, no times taken and no trophies awarded. Simply put, SAACís High Speed Event is an opportunity for you to drive your car at a speed you feel comfortable with, under the safest conditions we can conceive.


With so many cars expected from the combined clubs, weíll be using VIRís Grand Course. This is a combination of the North Course (which we used at SAAC-31), the South Course and the Patriot Course. Tied together, they provide a circuit that is 4.2 miles long! Thatís longer than Road America and it translates into quality track timeóa lot of cars being able to get out on the track in each run group without heavy traffic....quality time on a beautiful, historic course.

As an Open Track participant, you'll get your pit parking in the Paddock with all the racers. Your car will be given a Tech Inspection by the club's team of experienced racers and you must meet the minimum requirements for safety equipment. All cars must have a number on both sides (adhesive numbers or tape is acceptable). Drivers must have a helmet with the correct Snell rating.

Open Track registration can be a Single Day pass or 3-day package; you must be a member of one of the host clubs to run on the track. If you are not a SAAC member, joining SAAC will bring you a discount on Gate admission and a great New Member package that will include the SAAC "Shelby American" Annual magazine, worth $25 alone.

You must attend a Daily drivers meeting to review track conditions, rules of the road and any updates. The Open Track Schedule shows that each day has three half-hour sessions per run group on the big 4.2 mile circuit at VIR. Run groups are sorted by beginner, intermediate and advanced.


Spots will be allocated in a first-come/first-served basis to SAAC / SVTOA / SCMC members with Ford-powered cars only. Open Track will run on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The entry fee is $495 for three full days, or $225 per day. Two drivers may share a car; the entry fee is based on the car, not the number of drivers. SAAC will run rain or shine; no refunds for less than perfect weather. Leaded and unleaded race gas is available at the track; pumps accept credit cards and will be accessible all day.

Instructors are available thru the SCMC group. Run Group assignments will be made based on the experience level of the driver(s), as indicated on the Registration Form.

SAAC expects that all spots will be taken by the time the convention begins, so Advance Registration is encouraged.



See you at SAAC-36!
computerworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2011, 02:04 PM   #14
computerworks
 

Joined: Apr 11
Posts: 13

Car Shows at SAAC-36

Car shows are a big part of any national meet. SAAC-36 has three...count 'em, three shows spread over the weekend for a memorable event full of some of the best Ford-power the hobby has to offer.



First, on Saturday, there is the Annual SAAC Concours Judging. This is the favorite show for spectators and just a handful of very special entrants.
Once a year, owners of vintage Cobra and Shelby and Boss Mustangs compete for the highest recognition awards in the hobby.



The Concours Judging at a SAAC National Convention is the pinnacle of originality, where the best of the best are judged. Classes, following the SAAC National Guidelines, are included for performance cars from Shelby American (and Ford), namely Cobras, Shelbys, Competition Cars (GT40s and original race version Cobras), Tigers (engineered by Carroll Shelby), and Bosses (the Ford derivative of the Trans-Am Mustang race cars developed by Shelby American).





Teams of Concours Judges from across the country, with decades of experience in the individual vehicles, evaluate every detail of each car for originality, accuracy and workmanship.

This is not the show for the casual detailer. The judging standards are based on the benchmark of how the car appeared on the showroom floor of the original dealer, or as-delivered to the first owner. Decades of research and SAAC Registry documentation is used to judge how close the car is to perfection.

Simply stated, Division I dictates that NO reproduction parts are used...that the car is 100% original. Division II permits authentic reproduction parts, but entrant are judged to the same appearance and technical standards as Division I. A special third category, Survivor Class, is available for unrestored cars presented as original.



Judging takes place just about all day Saturday, with teams of Judges and Assistants scrutinizing every inch, top and bottom of these show cars. Based on a point-deduction system, Awards are mad for Gold, Silver and Bronze achievements. A SAAC Concours Gold award is a coveted accolade that only a few ever attain.

Visit the Concours judging on Saturday at the covered pit area on the South side of the Paddock at VIR. All Concours entrants will be on display until Sunday at Noon.



The next two Car Shows are open to the general public and all attendees may enter one or both shows. On Saturday, the SVT/SCMC team will hold a Judged Car Show on the skid pad, just outside the Paddock entrance.
The SCMC Judging Rules were created to be thorough and fair. The judging is designed to reflect if a car is clean, neat, and detailed. Any car modifications should look factory original. Normal wear and tear will be taken into account by the judges. Judging is based on Exterior, Interior, Engine and Modifications

A team of expert judges will evaluate all entrants on a 400 point scale. Trophies for best in class will be awarded at the end of the day



On Sunday, SAAC hosts the Popular Vote Car Show, where you and all other attendees can vote for your favorite ride. There are 30 classes that encompass old and new Ford powered vehicles.



The SAAC-36 Car Show will be a Popular Vote show with 30 separate classes. Owners and spectators will be able to vote for the car of their choice in each class. Everyone entering a car will receive a commemorative medallion. Entrants can begin to park their cars on the skid pad at 8 am. The actual voting will start at 10 am and will end at 12 noon. Attendees pick up a ballot sheet at Car Show Central and drop votes into their favorite cars. At the end of the show, the ballots are tallied and trophies are awarded to best in each class.

See you at SAAC-36!
computerworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2011, 10:01 AM   #15
J.Bart
My Car Details
 

Joined: Feb 03
Posts: 800

Send a message via AIM to J.Bart
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
SAAC-36 Preview - Open Track at SAAC-36


SAACís High Speed Event at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) will be similar in concept to the open track events held at past national conventions. This is not a competitive event. There will be no classes, no times taken and no trophies awarded. Simply put, SAACís High Speed Event is an opportunity for you to drive your car at a speed you feel comfortable with, under the safest conditions we can conceive.


With so many cars expected from the combined clubs, weíll be using VIRís Grand Course. This is a combination of the North Course (which we used at SAAC-31), the South Course and the Patriot Course. Tied together, they provide a circuit that is 4.2 miles long! Thatís longer than Road America and it translates into quality track timeóa lot of cars being able to get out on the track in each run group without heavy traffic....quality time on a beautiful, historic course.

As an Open Track participant, you'll get your pit parking in the Paddock with all the racers. Your car will be given a Tech Inspection by the club's team of experienced racers and you must meet the minimum requirements for safety equipment. All cars must have a number on both sides (adhesive numbers or tape is acceptable). Drivers must have a helmet with the correct Snell rating.

Open Track registration can be a Single Day pass or 3-day package; you must be a member of one of the host clubs to run on the track. If you are not a SAAC member, joining SAAC will bring you a discount on Gate admission and a great New Member package that will include the SAAC "Shelby American" Annual magazine, worth $25 alone.

You must attend a Daily drivers meeting to review track conditions, rules of the road and any updates. The Open Track Schedule shows that each day has three half-hour sessions per run group on the big 4.2 mile circuit at VIR. Run groups are sorted by beginner, intermediate and advanced.


Spots will be allocated in a first-come/first-served basis to SAAC / SVTOA / SCMC members with Ford-powered cars only. Open Track will run on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The entry fee is $495 for three full days, or $225 per day. Two drivers may share a car; the entry fee is based on the car, not the number of drivers. SAAC will run rain or shine; no refunds for less than perfect weather. Leaded and unleaded race gas is available at the track; pumps accept credit cards and will be accessible all day.

Instructors are available thru the SCMC group. Run Group assignments will be made based on the experience level of the driver(s), as indicated on the Registration Form.

SAAC expects that all spots will be taken by the time the convention begins, so Advance Registration is encouraged.



See you at SAAC-36!

oh man!!!! your killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i want to go!!!!
Amy this looks even better than SAAC 35!!!

jbart
J.Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > Events Calendar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chrome in the dome 2011 J.Bart Events Calendar 3 01/03/2011 12:56 AM
1968 - All new book updates posted on saac ? John McGilvary GT/CS and HCS Discussions 69 10/01/2009 08:17 AM
: SAAC Officially Adds GT/CS case12 GT/CS and HCS Discussions 66 06/23/2009 08:46 AM
Shelby ends his relationship with SAAC clubpro GT/CS and HCS Discussions 34 12/09/2007 06:13 PM
Shelby Club (SAAC), and the GT/CS Registry, PNewitt GT/CS and HCS Discussions 28 08/08/2005 02:35 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.


This site created, owned and maintained by Jon Hanna - Copyright © 1996-2011
All rights reserved. CaliforniaSpecial.com is not affiliated with Ford Motor Company

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.