CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/08/2010, 02:18 AM   #1
GT/CS S Code
My Car Details

My Garage
Thumbs up Everybody's favorite recipes?

OK, it seems like we needed to start a "favorite recipes" thread so that we can share a few culinary delights (especially this time of year), so here are a few to start things off.

My wife Laurie is originally from Selkirk, Manitoba and is Metis, so I have a few native Metis recipes that we like to cook from time to time. The traditional Metis "fry bread" or Bannock was a staple on the frontier in the 1800's. This is the best version that I have found to date (even though it is baked and not fried), and I usually make a double batch (2 loaves) or there isn't enough to go around!

Best Métis Bannock

Preheat your oven to 375 or 400 degrees (ovens vary), and while you're waiting assemble the following ingredients.

Dry ingredients

2 1/2 cups of white flour

6 tsp of baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp sugar

1/3 cup of any suitable shortening (lard, bacon fat, margarine, etc.)

Wet ingredients

2 large eggs

1 cup of sweet milk

Combine first four dry ingredients and mix very well. Add whichever shortening you'll be using to the dry mix and use a pastry blender to blend until the mix forms fine well mixed crumbs. Combine the 2 eggs with the milk and mix well (I do it right in the measuring cup), then add to the flour mixture. Stir with a spatula to form a soft dough, and kneed as little as possible after placing the dough on a hard surface dusted with bench flour. Add a bit more bench flour if needed to form a soft or "satin" looking and feeling dough that is no longer sticky to the touch. Form the dough into a rough square or rectangular loaf and place on a baking sheet or in a suitable size baking pan. Parchment paper placed underneath the loaf will help to prevent scorching on the bottom. Using a fork, prick holes onto the entire top of the loaf. Bake on an upper rack, well off the oven element, for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

Best Metis Cinnamon Rolls

To make Cinnamon Rolls, use the same dough recipe as above, but add an extra two tbsp of sugar to the dry mix. Roll out the finished dough to about 1/4" thick to form a large rectangle. Dust the surface with cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins or currents. (I sometimes add Nutmeg as well.) Drizzle a bit of corn syrup or honey back and forth across the top of the dough, and then roll up the dough, sealing the end "flaps" shut. Using a sharp knife, cut slices about 1 ½” to 2” thick from the rolled up dough and place them onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet or in a baking pan. Again, baking for 20 to 25 minutes at 375 to 400 degrees yields a batch of tasty home made cake style cinnamon buns.

Note: When I use currants with this recipe, I soak them in warm water to swell them up, then add the flavoured drained water to the milk/egg mix for a bit of extra flavour in the dough. I also add a Tablespoon of vanilla for extra flavour. Just keep adding bench flour to the wet mix until the dough is no longer sticky and has a "satin" look and feel to it before you roll it out and add the inside ingredients.

Best Metis Double Chocolate Rolls

To make Double Chocolate Rolls, add 4 heaping Tablespoons of Fry’s Cocoa powder to the dry mixture, roll out as normal, drizzle with corn syrup or honey, and substitute a layer of chocolate chips instead of the cinnamon and raisins

... another favorite French Metis food dish is "Tortiere", which is a spiced meat pie, and it's often made during the Christmas holidays when friends come to visit.

TORTIERE Recipe

3/4 lb ground pork (or substitute ground bear)
3/4 lb ground venison (moose or deer)
Small minced onion
2 large potatoes (grated)
2 large carrots (grated)
1/2 cup boiling water
1 clove garlic chopped
1.5 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp cloves

Brown meat, add water and spices. Simmer. Add potatos and carrots,
and cook about 45 minutes. Pour into pie crust with top and bake for 10 min at 450 degrees F, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30-40 minutes.

Tourtiere (version #2)

Pastry: 5 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, 4 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 lb of lard, 1 cup of hot water, 4 teaspoons of vinegar, 1 well-beaten egg.

Measure flour, salt and baking powder into large bowl. Stir together to distribute all ingredients. Add lard. Cut into pieces with knife. With pastry cutter, cut in lard until whole mixture is crumbly. Mix hot water, vinegar and well-beaten egg together. Pour slowly over flour mixture stirring with fork to distribute. With your hands, work until it holds nicely together.

Filling: 5 lbs of ground pork, 2 lbs of lean ground beef, 6 medium onions, salt and pepper to taste, and 3 garlic cloves Place all ingredients into extra large saucepan. Add water to cover about 3/4 of the meat mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Cool slightly.

Line pie plates with pastry. Fill with meat mixture. Dampen outer edge with water. Cover with pastry top (make slits in top crust). Press edges to seal. Bake in 350 F oven until golden brown. These freeze well and may be left in the freezer for 4-5 months. This recipe makes approximately 7 pies.

... and a great condiment for Tortiere pies would be ...

Indian Relish

12 large tomatoes, 12 large apples, 9 medium onions, 3 cups sugar, 1 pint vinegar, 1 tsp. Pepper, ½ tsp. Celery salt, ½ tsp. Cloves, 1 tsp cinnamon, (and any other spices you prefer) and ½ cup of salt. Blend all ingredients. Cook until thick. Seal in sterile jars.

Best of the Christmas season to everyone! Start cooking and be happy! (The rest of your families will be ...)

So how about you post your favorite recipes here to share with the rest of us?

I may have passed my "best before" date, but I haven't reached my "expiry" date!
GT/CS S Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2010, 12:15 AM   #2
GT/CS S Code
My Car Details

My Garage
OK, here's another favorite of mine that we make often. I love old style traditional yellow cornbread, and this is the best recipe for it that I've found to date! The secret to awesome cornbread is to bake it in cast iron, and I bought special Lodge cast iron cornbread pans that are pre-segmented into 8 sections that make the BEST crispy cornbread you ever tasted!

THE ULTIMATE CORNBREAD RECIPE

Dry Ingredients:

- 1 Cup of All Purpose Unbleached White Flour

- 3/4 Cup of yellow cornmeal

- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder

- 1 Teaspoon of salt

- 4 Tablespoons of sugar

Wet Ingredients:

- 3/4 Cup of Buttermilk

- 1/4 Cup of Whole Milk

- 2 Eggs, beaten

- 1/3 Cup of melted Butter or Margarine (I usually substitute with regular cooking oil)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray two 9" aluminum pie pans with Pam (or with cooking oil if you have a pump sprayer like we do). Cast iron is the best, and a skillet or segmented cornbread pan is the very best way to cook cornbread properly.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and blend them well. In a smaller bowl or measuring cup, thoroughly mix the buttermilk, whole milk, eggs, and oil or melted margarine. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour the batter into the two pie pans evenly and place in the preheated 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

When the cornbread is done, place on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes, then place a plate on the top and flip it over so that the cornbread is inverted on the plate. Cut into pie shaped wedges and spread with butter or margarine while it's still warm. It's great plain with Butter or Margarine, or topped with Apple Butter or any type of Jam. If any of it survives until the next morning, it's great for breakfast toasted until crispy under the oven broiler.

Important Tips:

- Have all of the ingredients at room temperature.

- Stone ground cornmeal works best and gives a golden coloured bread.

- If using melted margarine in the wet ingredients, don't use "no fat" versions as they contain too much water.

- Mix the batter until completely smooth. I don't care what your Grandmother said about lumpy batter being OK!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lodge cast iron cornbread pan.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	12764  

I may have passed my "best before" date, but I haven't reached my "expiry" date!
Old 12/11/2010, 12:23 AM   #3
GT/CS S Code
My Car Details

My Garage
Another favorite of mine are fresh, hot buttermilk biscuits! When we go Cowboy Action Shooting, my alias is "Reverend Al", and I'm often the "camp cook" and prepare hot lunches for the shooters at our matches. Heck, they have to be good or I wouldn't want to serve them to a bunch of armed and hungry cowboys and cowgirls! These are "Reverend Al's" BEST buttermilk biscuits ...

The Reverend Al’s Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits

3 cups of all purpose flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
¾ teaspoon of baking soda
1 tablespoon of Garlic powder (optional)

¾ cup of any suitable type of shortening (such as Crisco, bacon grease, lard, margarine, etc.)

1 cup of grated cheese (Cheddar or your choice of mixed cheeses)

1 cup of buttermilk

Pre-heat oven to about 375 degrees.

Sift the flour to make sure that there are no lumps. Add the baking powder, salt, baking soda, and Garlic powder if you’re using it. Mix the dry ingredients well. (I use a pastry blender to stir the dry ingredients in the bowl until they’re all well blended.) Add the shortening and work it into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until the entire mix resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the grated cheese and mix well again.

Next, add the buttermilk, working it into the mixture with a large, solid spoon. After everything is thoroughly mixed, roll it out onto a floured board or counter top. Knead the dough as little as possible, adding more flour if it’s too wet, or a bit more buttermilk if it’s too dry, until the dough doesn’t stick to your hands, and has a “satin” look to it.

After it has the right consistency, roll or pat out the dough to about ¾” thick, and cut out the biscuits with a 2” to 3” biscuit cutter, or if in camp use the end of a soup can with the top and bottom cut out. If you lightly flour the end of the biscuit cutter or soup can as you cut them, the biscuits won’t stick to your cutter plus they will rise in layers as they bake, yielding a nice, light and fluffy style of biscuit.

I use a flat cookie sheet for baking biscuits and use baking parchment paper or silicon baking sheets on the bottom of the cookie sheets to prevent the biscuits from burning on their bottoms.

In our oven about 10 to 12 minutes is just about right for light, medium browned biscuits. If they are too dry in the middle, bake for a slightly shorter time, as they should be slightly moist in the centre when finished.

Old 12/11/2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Ruppstang

My Garage
My favorite recepie for fun
1 whole Saturday off
1 or 2 old Mustangs
1 warm shop
A freshly delivered box of Mustang parts
A son or a good friend who shares your passion
A wife on a shoping trip
1 cooler full of cold drinks
Mix well with some storys (some true)
Serves 1-3 a day full of FUN!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1964 coupe 006.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	12765   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 coupe 019.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	12766  

Last edited by Ruppstang; 12/11/2010 at 06:15 AM..

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2010, 12:45 PM   #5
GT/CS S Code
My Car Details

My Garage
Thumbs up I totally agree!

I'm definitely going to add that one to my favorite recipe book!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68 Mustang pickup 10.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	12772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway rebuild.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	12773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1385.JPG
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	12774  

Name:	IMG_1356.JPG
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	12775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1366 resized.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	12776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1364 resized.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	12777  

Old 12/11/2010, 04:29 PM   #6
GT/CS S Code
My Car Details

My Garage
Thumbs up Christmas Cookies ...

All kidding aside, and since it is the Christmas season, here is a new recipe that we got from one of my wife's girlfriends. They are awesome if you love the taste of ginger!

Double Ginger Crackle Cookies

Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees

Ingredients

¾ cup of Shortening
½ cup of Brown Sugar (firmly packed)
½ cup of White Sugar

2 Tblsp of Molasses
1 egg
1 tsp of finely grated Lemon peel

2 cups of Flour
2 tsp of Baking Soda
2 tsp of ground Ginger
½ tsp of ground Cinnamon
½ tsp Salt
¼ cup (4 or more slices) of crystallized Ginger finely chopped

¼ cup of White Sugar for topping

Preparation

Beat shortening, brown sugar, and ½ cup of white sugar until smooth. Add the molasses, egg, and lemon peel and beat again until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Place remaining ¼ cup of white sugar into a shallow bowl, form dough into small balls (about ¾” to 1” in diameter), and then roll them in the sugar until coated all over. Place on parchment paper or silicon baking sheets about 2” apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown and tops have crackled.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ginger Crinkle Cookies 001.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	12782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ginger Crinkle Cookies 002.jpg
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	12783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ginger Crinkle Cookies 003.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	12784  

Old 12/12/2010, 08:24 PM   #7
PonyGal
My Car Details

Life is Simple...eat, sleep, drive a Mustang!

Okay. After spendinging the past week with hugh work projects and all weekend cleaning and decorating for Christmas, I finally have a few minutes to add to this thread. This is one of my standard recipies that I make whenever the family is spending time with me. It is so easy and everyone just LOVES it!!

Breakfast Casserole

1 16 oz package of Jimmy Dean pork sausage (I use the low fat)
1 onion chopped
5-6 mushrooms chopped
5 eggs lightly beaten plus 1 cup egg beaters
2 cups low fat milk
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
6-8 cups torn bread (sourdough tastes best)

Cook sausage crumbling it as it cooks. Drain off any fat. Add chopped onion and mushrooms and saute until cooked.

In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, egg beaters, milk, salt & pepper, and half of the cheese.

Spray a 13x9x2 baking dish with Pam and add torn bread to the dish. Pour egg mixture over the bread and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. You can then sprinkle either paprika or parsley on top for decoration.

At this point you can cover the casserole with foil and put it in the fridge over night to soak up all the moisture, or you can put it in the oven to bake (I always make it the night before).

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake covered with foil for 30-40 minutes and then uncover and continue baking for 15 minutes more or until egg mixture is set and top of casserole is browned (50-60 inutes total).

This goes so fast at my house that I hardly get a chance to get some for myself!!

Renee' - Eat, sleep, drive a Mustang!!!
I am the proud new owner of the 'Stevenson GT/CS'
PonyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2010, 08:29 PM   #8
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

I'm just driving to Nebraska, up to Canada and back down through Loomis.

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2010, 08:34 PM   #9
PonyGal
My Car Details

Donna,

When will you be going through Loomis!!

Old 12/12/2010, 08:39 PM   #10
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

Oh I WISH I really could...I've been working every weekend! Just sounds like a yummy road trip to me.

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2010, 08:41 PM   #11
PonyGal
My Car Details

Drop by any time!! I am a VERY GOOD cook and I treat my guests well!!

Old 12/13/2010, 02:07 PM   #12
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
I don't have the recipe but the facility managers daughter made some Oreo Bon Bon looking things that were wayyyyyyyyyy good. I could ask for the recipe I guess. I had to leave before I ate the whole bowl full.

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2010, 12:10 AM   #13
GT/CS S Code
My Car Details

My Garage
Thumbs up

Sounds way too good not to try. Appreciate it if you could try to get the recipe and pass it along!

Old 12/15/2010, 12:19 AM   #14
GT/CS S Code
My Car Details

My Garage
Thumbs up Another family favorite ...

Laurie's family back in Manitoba has some Ukrainian roots as well as Scotch Metis history, and this is another one of their favorite family recipes. We've made these several times and they are tasty! Best thing is to make the meat balls and then simmer them in the BBQ sauce for several hours. I simmer them and then put them into the freezer in containers right in the BBQ sauce and just thaw and re-heat them as needed. Try these and I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Laurie’s Family recipe for Meat Balls with homemade BBQ Sauce

The Meatballs

2 lbs. hamburger
diced onions
bread crumbs
2 eggs
Form into small meatballs and fry until browned.

The BBQ Sauce

1 cup water
1 cup of Catsup
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. Worchester Sauce
¼ cup of White Vinegar
½ cup of White Sugar
a pinch of Cayenne Pepper

Bring sauce to a boil, then add the cooked meatballs and simmer.

Old 12/15/2010, 05:59 AM   #15
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT/CS S Code View Post
Sounds way too good not to try. Appreciate it if you could try to get the recipe and pass it along!
Request for recipe has been submitted, now let's just hope it's not some family guarded recipe.

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > Misc Forums > Off Topic Lounge