CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/09/2009, 06:34 PM   #1
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Modest Dream Garage

Ok,
My priorities have altered a bit for this winter. I retire March 2 of next year, but hope to go to work for a couple years to better set Val and I for retirement. One part of that is a garage for Rob!! Had thought about moving as my lot is not great for this, but I think I can make it fit. My dream garage is a bit more modest than Jay Leno’s for sure.

It will be 24 feet wide and 30 feet deep. Two stalls and 14 foot walls. Yes, Rob wants a car lift. 4 post “bend-pak” with all the accessories. Fully insulated and sheet rocked. Not sure on the heat source yet. Two 9 foot wide by 8 foot high insulated doors. Gives a good solid 10 feet in front of both stalls for a work bench, tools and other stuff. Want to build a loft over the forward work area for storage of, well,.......stuff.

This will give us storage for 5 cars with our attached garage and finally Val will not have to breath every poof can or car I start up. My current shop is under our living area. Amy got to see it. Can fit two cars, but then it is way to crowded for tools and stuff.

I plan to convert my old shop into a huge hobby room for my patient and lovely wife!! We both get what we want!

So if anyone of you have suggestions on things you have learned over the years, please share them with me! One thing I have learned is to position the lighting to work when a hood is open and of course a whole bunch over the work bench for my old eyes.

Please help me build my garage!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Scott

Really excited for you and this project Rob!

Keenly anticipate tracking your progress here, please keep us updated.

Scott.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2009, 09:00 PM   #3
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
It was 18 degrees up here last weekend. dug holes for additions to my septic tank drain field as new garage will intrude onto it...... Not alot of fun....

rob
Old 12/10/2009, 05:31 AM   #4
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
If you want ideas, you need to come visit me (or at least email me).

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collection.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	10470   Click image for larger version

Name:	collection2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	10471  

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 05:56 AM   #5
Ruppstang

My Garage
Rob the #1 suggestion I would offer is radiant heat in the floor. Since we spend so much time on or near the floor and with the 14' wall you don't want all the heat up there. Also lots of electrical and air outlets. A small vented spray booth would be great, no over spray on every thing. Good luck Rob
Steve I like your shop and the car collection! May be we should start a thread and have everyone post their garages and cars. That would be fun to see. Marty
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 08:13 AM   #6
JohnnyQuest515
My Car Details

Looking for another GT/CS

I have one on paper, 4 post lift the works....not sure when if ever I will build but its my DREAM!

As mentioned plenty of outlets and don't forget the 240 volt for a welder or an appliance. Many people use old ranges to powder coat parts, it that's your thing. I was thinking of a mini-split HVAC but since you are up in WA you need to worry more about heat.

Keep us updated, Randy

CSX4853
09'GT500KR
JohnnyQuest515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 08:25 AM   #7
66hcs-conv
My Car Details

66 HCS-conv, Columbine blue & 2001 Cobra conv

My Garage
Smile

I understand you are talking about 14 foot walls, BUT be careful how the overhead doors are placed. Be sure there is enough room above the car on the lift for the door(s) to open fully.

Have Fun ! Dave
66hcs-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 08:39 AM   #8
hcsstang

eBay: hcsstang

I agree with Marty radiant heat is the way to go. I put up a block building 28-36. Concrete floor and that is hard on the limbs after a couole of hours. I have a wall in the center with a wood shop on one side and the cars on the other side.

302 V4 HCS
hcsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 09:11 AM   #9
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
The doors are special made insulated steel to go all the way up the front wall to preserve the height. Radiant floor heat is a thought, but Rob hopes to spend far less time on the floor if he has a lift! The lift may double as storage at times, but may even consider 2 lifts! But that kinda screws up both bays. Plan on 220/240 for welding and lots of 110 outlets.

Other than radiant floor heat, I have natural gas (to much chili) at the site. I want heat that I can keep low and then bring up to 55/60 fairly quick. Say ½ hour or so. Also have thought about a pellet stove, but they require care and feeding.

Work bench and shelf ideas? Gosh, a black and white checkered floor? A small “dirty room” for a bench grinder and glass beader is a must. Anyone have a novel way? Heavy duty shower curtain?

Steve, will you adopt me please!!!! I work for a nickel an hour! Love the water!! Slow water that does not spill my beer!!

I am hoping people will post pics of their garages! Especially, the inside and work bench areas. My shop is ugly…..

Rob
Old 12/10/2009, 10:18 AM   #10
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
On top of the former recommendations, I would also recommend you install a sink with H&C water. I have one in my garage and it really comes in handy.

You may make it without friends; but with them, you can do anything.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 10:47 AM   #11
Powell

My Garage
Rob, My suggestion is to have a bath in the garage, at least a toilet and sink. Can't tell you how many garages and shops I have helped plan and after much pleading the client decided against the bath. ALWAYS wishing later they had listened.
Ralph
Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 10:47 AM   #12
Mosesatm

Make sure you have specific places designated for all your large items so they don't take up much usable space scattered throughout the shop. Air compressor, welder, floor jack, engine hoist, shop vac, wheels & tires, used parts, etc.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 12:38 PM   #13
di81977

Congrats on retirement! Pretty exciting. You need to find lots of projects to keep you busy....before your wife does!

I also recommend radiant heat in the garage. Turns your place into the perfect getaway for winter poker night. Heated garage and you can smoke cigars without smelling the house up!

Here are some additional suggestions....

http://www.luxury4play.com/automotiv...ml?source=9593

David
di81977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 02:32 PM   #14
carezcs

My Garage
Needless to say a good exhaust fan is a must to get rid of gas and welding fumes, etc. I have to set up a box fan under my garage door, sort of a pain on cold or rainy days. Wait! It never gets old and rainy in southern California. Ha Ha!
Bruce
carezcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 04:57 PM   #15
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Sorry Rob, no more adoptions for now. I already have two biological sons, an "adopted" son and "adopted" daughter, 6 grandchildren, who knows how many "adopted" grandchildren and a psychotic cat. My Christmas budget is killing me. The nickel an hour sounds good though. I would second the radiant floor heat, although I like the way a 75KBTU gas furnace warms the air in a hurry. If I was doing it over, I'd consider both. One thing no one has mentioned yet is---figure how big you think you'll need and then double it!

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions