CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 10/14/2009, 03:34 PM   #1
pnsy56shop

Restoration pictures needed

Picking up and continuing the restoration of Clubpro's GT/CS 390. As some of the member know and had hoped it was sold to a California Special.com member. I had been looking for a GT/CS for about a year then found the forum and right after joining Clubpro put his car up for sale. We got together late summer where I got to meet Ron "clubpro" and Tim "Midnight Special". (Family Visit Thread) Now the GT/CS is on the east coast, not to many out this way. I put together a parts list of what I have and what I need then got started with the work on the car.

Body work is mostly completed there was some damage during transporting from CA. by Horseless Carriage but... that will need to be addressed.

My goal is a driver concourse I'm at a disadvantage due to the fact that I'm on the East Coast and there aren't any San Jose cars to refer to out here. So I'll be asking CS members to post pictures from time to time.

Currently I'm working on the seam sealer and need pictures of original areas where seam sealer was applied. Trunk, undercarriage, shock towers and engine compartment.

Has anyone out there done a concourse restoration on a GT/CS?
pnsy56shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2009, 03:52 PM   #2
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

Mike (somethingspecial) has a concourse trailered Gold Award S code that he restored. You should PM him.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Ruppstang

My Garage
I am in the process of a driven concours restotation on our HCS. And I am a MCA gold card judge. I would be happy to help you if I can. Marty MCA 38812
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Doug
My Car Details

I find this topic very interesting and if possible would love to see some - if not all retoration pictures.

Please share -- Doug

66 Shelby GT 350, 55 Chev Nomad my sons 07 Shelby GT#4208. SOLD Candy Apple Red 390GTAuto w/air - Now in Australia.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2009, 07:23 PM   #5
Mosesatm

Here's a book that is supposed to show where to place the various sealants.

http://www.mustangsandamericanclassi...lant%20Manual&
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2009, 12:32 AM   #6
J_Speegle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
Here's a book that is supposed to show where to place the various sealants.
]

The assembly manuals will show you where Ford wanted workers to place sealants and such NOT where San Jose workers really did.

pnsy56shop - I would suggest that you look for pictures of original cars rather than someoneís interpretation (read restored cars) for your research and of course focus on cars from the same time period as yours.

Now that Iím back from the judges meeting and class will be posting a series of 68 San Jose sealant and sound deadener details over on ConcoursMustang in response to a request by another Calif Special owner - if you want to watch ;)
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2009, 04:24 AM   #7
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Speegle View Post
The assembly manuals will show you where Ford wanted workers to place sealants and such NOT where San Jose workers really did.

pnsy56shop - I would suggest that you look for pictures of original cars rather than someoneís interpretation (read restored cars) for your research and of course focus on cars from the same time period as yours.

Now that Iím back from the judges meeting and class will be posting a series of 68 San Jose sealant and sound deadener details over on ConcoursMustang in response to a request by another Calif Special owner - if you want to watch ;)
Did each San Jose worker put sealant in different places or did they all put it in the same places, but not where Ford wanted it?
Old 10/15/2009, 01:01 PM   #8
njmop

My Garage
Maybe can help...

I don't have a concourse, but I have a GT/CS that is mostly original and somewhat disassembled in my garage if you need a eyes-on view. I am in Belmar, NJ 07719 or check with the "FOR SALE" section for the red GT/CS for sale in NJ. His is very original and I've seen it at shows. Maybe you can check that one out. I could always send picks if you let me know the areas of concern for you.

Just PM me.

Mike

68 Acupulco Blue GT/CS in 10,000 pieces and parts...I hope to drive it again one day...
njmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2009, 09:14 PM   #9
J_Speegle

Quote:
Did each San Jose worker put sealant in different places or did they all put it in the same places, but not where Ford wanted it?

Normally what we typically see it that what we find falls into patterns that represent what they were using (application tools or products) at a particular time at the plant and technique (how each worker applied the product)

Since workers tend to find something that works for each of them they repeat it over and over again. In addition to the fact that there was only two or three people normally doing each task (one on each shift) most original examples fit into one of these patterns.

Looking at the examples I posted earlier today it appears that (for example) that the wheel tubs to floor seam was filled using a chalking gun (not brushed or spread after application) first then a spray sealant was shot over that seem for much of the production year at San Jose.
Old 10/16/2009, 04:30 AM   #10
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Speegle View Post
Normally what we typically see it that what we find falls into patterns that represent what they were using (application tools or products) at a particular time at the plant and technique (how each worker applied the product)

Since workers tend to find something that works for each of them they repeat it over and over again. In addition to the fact that there was only two or three people normally doing each task (one on each shift) most original examples fit into one of these patterns.

Looking at the examples I posted earlier today it appears that (for example) that the wheel tubs to floor seam was filled using a chalking gun (not brushed or spread after application) first then a spray sealant was shot over that seem for much of the production year at San Jose.
Posted where?
Old 10/16/2009, 08:00 PM   #11
J_Speegle

Quote:
Posted where?

Sorry - guess it's new to many. Word is still getting out about this new site dedicated to Concours discussions and support.

Thread is as located

68 California Special Unibody Sealant discussion
Old 10/22/2009, 10:58 AM   #12
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnsy56shop View Post
Picking up and continuing the restoration of Clubpro's GT/CS 390. As some of the member know and had hoped it was sold to a California Special.com member. I had been looking for a GT/CS for about a year then found the forum and right after joining Clubpro put his car up for sale. We got together late summer where I got to meet Ron "clubpro" and Tim "Midnight Special". (Family Visit Thread) Now the GT/CS is on the east coast, not to many out this way. I put together a parts list of what I have and what I need then got started with the work on the car...
Good Luck with the restore.

Great to have another CS in the NY/NJ area. Hope to meet up at a show next season.

Keep in touch via PM or email.

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2009, 06:51 PM   #13
pnsy56shop

Will do Rich
pnsy56shop is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions