CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/20/2009, 12:45 PM   #1
dpheyes
My Car Details

eBay: dpheyes

Deck lid question

Does anyone out there know what we should use to reattach the fiberglas portion of the deck lid to it's metal frame? The original glue is all crumbly and the lid is not held on well anymore. We definitely want to get it all straight and tight before painting. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug
dpheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2009, 03:14 PM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
The frame isn't metal, it's fiberglass, like the skin. Fiberglass resin would make it permanent or you could use an adhesive caulk.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2009, 10:00 AM   #3
obwan93001
My Car Details

My Garage
Similar situation

Hi all and happy Monday (I know, an oxymoron). I don't mean to hijack this thread just thought it'd be better than starting another one.

The original deck lid on our '68 is a bit warped as can be seen from the sides, with one side being a bit worse. The car is at my parent's which is 30 miles from me and I don't have pics to post as of yet and with rain forecast for the next couple of days it may not be until the upcoming weekend. But I wanted to ask if the warpage is repairable or am I stuck w/having to look for a replacement? I'd hate to use a repop lid as I'm really, really into keeping as much of the original parts as possible, I'm weird that way Plus can't really afford to pay for an nice original deck lid if I found one anyways. Mine is in great shape minus the warping. I have no experience with fiberglass repair but am willing to learn if that's what it takes. Hell, I rebuilt the entire suspension and power steering myself (not having done anything like that before) and have put over 150 miles on it with speeds of 80+ mph a few times and nothing has fallen off or 'sploded!

If anyone here has dealt with deck lid warping, any suggestions for fixing it are greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks!

obwan93001

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...3&d=1198481108
1968 GT/CS 289-2v V8 AT, PS, drum brakes, tinted windows, Diamond Blue, black stripes, standard Black bucket interior. MCA#:70104
obwan93001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2009, 12:20 PM   #4
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

I think you are going to find that most everyone with the original decklid is going to have the decklid warped some. Mine is. In past posts it has been discussed that a way to fix it is to lay a towel down on top and then pile a bunch of shop manuals (or old encylopedias) on top of the towel and wait over the winter. I have tried this and it seemed to work some, but the warping seems to come back. So, I have learned to live with it as part of the uniqueness of the car. It will be interested to hear of other experiences on this. Casey

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions