CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/05/2008, 07:36 PM   #1
dbeal

Send a message via AIM to dbeal Send a message via Yahoo to dbeal
upper tail light panel mounting

I'm finally back to work on my GTCS after a 2 year break and am getting ready to mount the fiberglass tail light panel. The original was broken and missing with only the bottom portion of the panel attached. The upper was completely missing. The sheet metal tail light panel was replaced with new sheetmetal so I don't have any previous mounting points to go by. Can someone please post a picture of where the upper screws attach the fiberglass panel to the metal tail light panel?

Thanks

Darrell
dbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2008, 10:25 PM   #2
GT/CS S Code
My Car Details

My Garage
Photo ...

Hi Darrell,

Don't know if this shows you enough detail, but does this help?

Cheers,

Al & Laurie
aka
GT/CS S Code
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1594 resized.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	7616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605 resized.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	7617  

I may have passed my "best before" date, but I haven't reached my "expiry" date!
GT/CS S Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2008, 06:11 AM   #3
dbeal

Send a message via AIM to dbeal Send a message via Yahoo to dbeal
Yes it helps a ton!.. Thanks!
dbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2008, 08:35 PM   #4
J_Speegle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeal View Post
I'm finally back to work on my GTCS after a 2 year break ............... I don't have any previous mounting points to go by. Can someone please post a picture of where the upper screws attach the fiberglass panel to the metal tail light panel?
Pretty simple oval headed phillips screws finished in phosphate and oil. Remember the black cord chalking between the panel and the metal taillight panel along the top edge

Hope these help

J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2008, 05:57 AM   #5
murf104

Can someone post a clear image of the screws? Not sure that mine have not been replaced and would love to see in detail just what screws Ford used when this panel was installed. And secondly, is the strip caulking visible when looking - does it squeeze out or is there just a gap showing when opening the trunk? Any detailed pictures of this detail from unrestored cars? Thanks!
murf104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2008, 06:35 AM   #6
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Here's what mine looks like, although the phosphate is pretty worn. When I put my tail light panel back on, I used 3M strip caulk, and it shouldn't show, although mine does a little at one corner.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_09070001.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	7650  

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2008, 11:43 AM   #7
murf104

Do those little screws show up in any ford material? Mine are not like this and IF they were available from AMK it would be great. Anybody have a part number for these, or are there any variations used in production?
murf104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2008, 04:11 PM   #8
J_Speegle

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf104 View Post
Can someone post a clear image of the screws? Not sure that mine have not been replaced and would love to see in detail just what screws Ford used when this panel was installed. And secondly, is the strip caulking visible when looking - does it squeeze out or is there just a gap showing when opening the trunk? Any detailed pictures of this detail from unrestored cars? Thanks!
Sorry the pictures are not clearer (both are original paint cars above)

Have seen some original cars were the chalking was slightly visible btu generally not (same goes for the 67-68 Shelby application)

Will look through the hardware boxes and try and dig out a couple of screws and take some better pictures
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions