CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/26/2008, 02:02 PM   #1
PNewitt

National GT/CS Rescue Squad?

Since I experienced a GT/CS rescue in person lately...It occurred to me that perhaps we could form some sort of network to help other owners that are in need, whether on the road, or at home, during some sort of "emergency".

I do realize that this website already provides a lot of information to folks--some in immediate need.

I was thinking of some sort of way members could call each other in a dire moment. I'm not sure how this would be done, or if it's even feasible or possible, but I wanted to throw this idea out and see where it may go.

I just know that as these cars age, more things can go wrong on the road. I think we should talk about some serious preventative maintenance for trips, but we have a LOT of cumulative knowledge of when something like a water pump, or oil pump will go out...or the time frame a headlight switch will last, etc...

Any ideas?? (as an extreme example I heard that the SAAB club has this "overnighter" thing between owners to stay at other owner's homes...which I think is interesting, but a little odd (and a bit much)).

Just wondering what your thoughts on this might be. I'm not asking anyone to compromise their privacy, but some may be open to providing "sanctuary" and help for lost CS souls???

Thanks--Paul.
p.s. maybe make this a "National Classic Mustang Rescue Squad", through MCA, and provide members with a roster of those willing to help??? Heck, I'd even design a window decal & patch for those willing to participate.
Old 08/26/2008, 02:43 PM   #2
aemoo28
My Car Details

Looking for Satan 2.

Sign me up for the Greater Seattle region for the "GT/CS Rescue Squad".

I was telling you how we do this for our National Ridgeback Club. We have transport set up all over the US, one member to another will take over a leg of the journey for our dogs. An all volunteer support group!

GTCSRS- Seattle Region of GT/CS Rescue Squad

If there's one thing I've learned from this trip, it's that we are family. I can't thank you enough.

ISO well behaved, dependable, and determined CS.
aemoo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNewitt View Post
Since I experienced a GT/CS rescue in person lately...It occurred to me that perhaps we could form some sort of network to help other owners that are in need, whether on the road, or at home, during some sort of "emergency".

I do realize that this website already provides a lot of information to folks--some in immediate need.

I was thinking of some sort of way members could call each other in a dire moment. I'm not sure how this would be done, or if it's even feasible or possible, but I wanted to throw this idea out and see where it may go.

I just know that as these cars age, more things can go wrong on the road. I think we should talk about some serious preventative maintenance for trips, but we have a LOT of cumulative knowledge of when something like a water pump, or oil pump will go out...or the time frame a headlight switch will last, etc...

Any ideas?? (as an extreme example I heard that the SAAB club has this "overnighter" thing between owners to stay at other owner's homes...which I think is interesting, but a little odd (and a bit much)).

Just wondering what your thoughts on this might be. I'm not asking anyone to compromise their privacy, but some may be open to providing "sanctuary" and help for lost CS souls???

Thanks--Paul.
p.s. maybe make this a "National Classic Mustang Rescue Squad", through MCA, and provide members with a roster of those willing to help??? Heck, I'd even design a window decal & patch for those willing to participate.
...I think it's a great idea that has been loosely implemented in the past within our group. Some formalization within the membership would indeed be outstanding, although I'm not sure if I would personally want to handle all of MCA if it got that big.

For example: It was pure "good fortune" that Amy was able to coordinate w/ you and you with Ron as you did. I would hate to think of what could've happened... But perhaps when a member plans such an ambitious trip in the future - they post it here (on a special "sticky") where others in the path can provide cell #s, boarding, who has car trailers, etc... and remain somewhat on call.

I welcome any and all GT/CS members for boarding, special events, rescue, and in one case - a place to perform major repairs and have hosted five to date. I (like virtually everyone here) would gladly go to the rescue if called. The network you propose would indeed make that alot more efficient w/ awareness that someone is on the road.

Great idea socially as well!

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 03:12 PM   #4
murf104

At one time, long long ago before the internet was ever imagined, the MCA used to publish a little glove box sized book containing the names, location and phone numbers of all members. Everyone could call someone listed in an area for insight looking at a car, parts, or for help when in the area. It worked well, but issues of privacy seemed to put a halt to what was one of the best features of any national organization. It is very nice to be able to contact someone who has the same interests. Perhaps the net has taken over these duties, so maybe the idea should be modified to have an E-list available by State or city rather than a little book, but you have made a great suggestion! Most of us would certainly lend a hand to any in the Mustang or CS fellowship in any way possible.
murf104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 06:25 PM   #5
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
If someone breaks down in my area, you're also lost, because I'm kind of off the beaten track. However, if anyone thinks they might be within a hundred miles of me on a trip, let me know and I'll be at your beck and call.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 06:37 PM   #6
mmarsalone

I can help anyone along I-10 in the Gulf coast area of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

Previously Monkey Golf

MIKE
mmarsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 07:09 PM   #7
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

If anybody needs help in SoCal, call someone else. I'm not helping anyone. I don't like any of you that much.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 07:54 PM   #8
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
If anybody needs help in SoCal, call someone else. I'm not helping anyone. I don't like any of you that much.
Didn't we discuss the need to share when you were little? SIGH! Kids never listen.

Steve (Catching up on the threads. Just got back last night from my rafting trip in the Grand Canyon. WooHoo!)

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 09:18 PM   #9
hotrodgrany
My Car Details

My Fast Stangs

eBay: leona289

Send a message via MSN to hotrodgrany
Great idea Paul, never know when anyone of us needs some help and us late model GT/CS's may need some assistance too. I would help, if I am able to.
hotrodgrany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 10:11 PM   #10
davidathans
My Car Details

Best e.t. : 11.042, Fastest speed: 124.08, Best 60' : 1.615, 0 to 100 in 6.98

the only help i can provide is..... whiplash....

but i'd be happy to! :)
davidathans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 11:01 PM   #11
CALIF GIRL
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post
Didn't we discuss the need to share when you were little? SIGH! Kids never listen.
Haha...Joe got in trouble!!!
However, since I am the good child, I will offer my help......
CALIF GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 11:54 PM   #12
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Hahahaaa Joe, I'm gonna go get lost.

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 11:59 PM   #13
PNewitt

Wink

uh....looks like we'll have to take a map of the US, and put push pins in various locations, and then draw 100 mile circles for coverage for each assisting member.

But...we'll leave a big So Cal empty spot.....(tee hee). So, folks with CS breakdowns, are on their own in the dreaded "Joes' Dead Zone". Signs with skulls and crossbones stating that you are now entering a "GT/CS You're on You're Own" area...

You'll know you get 'dere, 'cause there are pieces of broken Lucas Lights, grilles, and broken fuel lines, windshield mirrors, decklids and scoops scattered all over the place...

an awful sight.

Paul :-)
Old 08/27/2008, 08:04 AM   #14
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

OK,OK, I'll help. But only because Dad says I have to. I still don't like any of you.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2008, 08:34 AM   #15
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Well, you might if you slow down a bit & get to know us better. The most we know about YOU is the shape of your tail lights! ;-)

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions