CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/03/2004, 11:02 AM   #1
davidathans
My Car Details

Best e.t. : 11.042, Fastest speed: 124.08, Best 60' : 1.615, 0 to 100 in 6.98

Small Block Top End Performance

In the gallery under David Athans on page 5, I have new pictures of the AFR185 Aluminum Heads that just came in. Going to bolt these on in the next few weeks and will change the cam at the same time.

I am hoping that someone can help me with some information about my 1968 289 block. In the valley at the top of the block, under the intake manifold, I was wondering if there are two threaded bosses in the middle at approx quarter point spacing? I was told by the mechanic who will install the heads/cam that in order to use hydraulic/roller lifters a "spider" mechanism needs to hold them in place and will be held in place by screwing into those bosses, but he doesnt know if my block has these. If someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated so that i dont order cam/lifters that wont work with what I've got. Thanks
davidathans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2004, 04:43 PM   #2
-=MUSTANG=-

Re:Small Block Top End Performance

The 'spider mechanism' you mention doesn't hold the lifters in place it keeps them from rotating. You will need to purchase lifters that use a small bar connecting two together.

You should also consider finding a mechanic more familiar with ford engines.

I just checked a 67 289 bare block I have in the garage, the only thing in the lifter valley was 4 drain holes.

Good luck with the install.

-=MUSTANG=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2004, 05:05 PM   #3
davidathans
My Car Details

Hey thanks for checking your 67 block. When I said hold the lifters in place, I meant keep them from rotating. My mechanic mostly does fuel injection/newer small block fords overhead cam & a few 347s but usually not on old mustangs like my 68 so he just doesnt want to pull off the intake manifold with a cam and lifters and spider kit that wont have a place for the spider kit to bolt to the block. Can you clarify that the hole in the valley at the top of the block, under the intake manifold, is described as a "threaded boss?" probably 5/16 or smaller? Is the name of the lifters I need "lifters that need a bar to connect together?". I am trying to avoid a delay "waiting for parts." For when we would have to exhange the cam. Can someone give me a definitive way to figure out if my block has these holes to hold in the "spider mechanism" in place for hydraulic/roller lifters on a 1968 289 block. One that is bored and stroked to a 347 stroker, bolting on AFR185 aluminum heads with 11:1 compression, Hooker Super Comp Headers, and the expected duration at .05"is in the range of 236-246 lift range .540"-.570". I also need input on the Carburetor for this motor. Is a Holley Street Avenger 670cfm big enough? Could someone recommend a better carb? possibly a demon?
Thanks
David
Old 08/04/2004, 11:51 AM   #4
-=MUSTANG=-

I keyed in 'small block ford roller lifters' in google and this link was on the first page

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...mm_grandtime1/

There is a small pic on the left side of the article on the first page that shows the roller lifters they used in the engine. I do not believe you will find tapped holes in the lifter valley of any small block ford. I have built many a windsor and don't ever recall seeing them.
Old 08/04/2004, 02:08 PM   #5
davidathans
My Car Details

Thanks for the info.
Old 08/06/2004, 11:36 AM   #6
davidathans
My Car Details

Thanks for your help i did a search and found a whole article on what i was looking for. The raised bosses in the lifter valley is only on 85-93 5.0 blocks that came stock with hydraulic roller lifters. For my engine I will need to buy the lifters with the vertical link bar which are $420.
Old 08/06/2004, 02:01 PM   #7
-=MUSTANG=-

Ouch!

at least there will be no confusion when you engine builder starts his work.

Good luck with the rebuild.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions