CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 06/20/2008, 10:56 AM   #1
miller511
My Car Details

My Garage
Shelby Factory/Museum North Las Vegas

Just got back from a trip to Vegas.

We went to the Shelby Facility north of town (at the Speedway) for the free tour. Definitely worth the relatively short drive up the road from the strip.

The museum is very cool. Lots of cars/prototypes/first Cobra, etc. Got to sign the wall. Since they work 4 10's, most of the workers were off last Friday. Will post pics soon.

There was one Shelby employee working on his own Shelby GT/SC on the Mustang side of the facility (there's also a Cobra side of the facility).

We were chatting and he mentioned a Mustang show at the Hoover Dam put on by the Mustang Club of Las Vegas the next day...Hey, we were going there anyway to tour the power plant. Pretty good turnout for the car show even with 100 degree weather in the afternoon.

The rest of the trip...well, you know what they say...

Jeff Miller-
1968 Tahoe Turquoise GT/CS
2007 Black GT/CS Coupe
Old 06/21/2008, 12:04 AM   #2
davidathans
My Car Details

Best e.t. : 11.042, Fastest speed: 124.08, Best 60' : 1.615, 0 to 100 in 6.98

haha... "what happens in vegas, stays in vegas"

Hell ya i want to check that place out next time i go to LV

thanks for the thread Jeff
Old 06/21/2008, 05:40 AM   #3
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I went there a few years ago. It's well worth the trip!

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
Old 06/21/2008, 10:26 AM   #4
miller511
My Car Details

My Garage
A few pics-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Las Vegas June 027a.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	6932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Las Vegas June 047a.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	6933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Las Vegas June 049a.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	6934  

Jeff Miller-
2007 Black GT/CS Coupe
Old 06/21/2008, 11:07 PM   #5
gazrox
My Car Details

I'm goin' nowhere and I'm in a hurry

Cool! I'm taking my first trip to Vegas in September, so I'll put that on my list of things to do.

I finally got to drive a 2008 Shelby GT500 last week - a friend got delivery of his so when he asked if I wanted to take it for a spin "duh, hell yeah!" Wow - I'm hooked. Bugger - I wish I had some spare change! LOL

Gary

Gary

Seafoam Green '68 GT/CS
Old 06/22/2008, 12:09 AM   #6
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

I was in Las Vegas on the 13th, 14th ,left on Sunday the 15th....I wish I would have had time to go see the facility. Always working! Someday I'll have time to do all the side trip stuff.

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Old 06/22/2008, 12:19 AM   #7
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
I visited the Las Vegas museum last summer too.
Also visited http://www.shelbyamericancollection.org/collection.html last summer.

There is another private Shelby and Cobra collection/museum in Boulder, Colorado.
Well worth the $5, only open on Saturday.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
Old 06/22/2008, 03:14 PM   #8
hotrodgrany
My Car Details

My Fast Stangs

eBay: leona289

Send a message via MSN to hotrodgrany
Yes that would be awsome place to see.
I have been to see the this one twice and even thought there is a big entry fee, well worth the visit. It is located at Mitchell, S.D. I will have to look for pictures I personly took here and post. Updated to a picture of my 05 at this place, This was the first time they say one of the new Mustangs.

http://www.telstarmuseum.com/showroom.html
http://www.telstarmotors.com/restoration.htm
http://www.telstarmotors.com/homepage.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spencer S.D. &Spencer Ia. horse show 0490.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	6940  

Last edited by hotrodgrany; 06/23/2008 at 07:22 AM..
Old 06/22/2008, 04:16 PM   #9
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

Jeff & Donna,
Heck....I wish I would have known you two where going to be there, I too was there from the 10th -15th. I even went to the car show at Hoover Dam on Saturday, spent about 2 hours there. Had a military function (Weapons School Graduation at the Flamingo Sat night) to attend. I have been to Vegas so many times (spend 6 months there attend the Weapons School back in '96) that I actually lost only $5 in a slot machine the whole time I was there. I wish I would have had another day so I could have gone to the museum.....maybe next time.

Donna, maybe we saw each other at the airport on Sunday and did not realize it....my flight left at 7 in the morning (had to get back to family since it was fathers day). I was the good looking guy probably talking on the phone.

1968 Sunlitgold 289 Coupe
1968 Sunlitgold 289 Convertible (sold)
1968 Sunlitgold 289 GT/CS
1968 Red 289 GT/CS
Old 06/22/2008, 07:18 PM   #10
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage
The family and I are here in Vegas until the 27th. Definitely going to do the tour and see the cafe. Man, I love this weather!! Beats molding in Seattle. Anyway, I'm excited for the tour. Sure wish I'd known you guys were here, maybe we could've hooked up. Ah, well. Another time.

Bret
Old 06/22/2008, 09:50 PM   #11
Rob
My Car Details

2007 GT/CS Coupe

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller511 View Post
A few pics-
That Red car belongs to a friend of mine named Dan. He was picking his car up that day.

The area where they build the Cobras is real cool. I snapped some pic's of them. As you know, they build them in fibre glass and Alum.

Rob
Old 06/22/2008, 11:18 PM   #12
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68sunlitgold View Post
Jeff & Donna,
Heck....I wish I would have known you two where going to be there, I too was there from the 10th -15th. I even went to the car show at Hoover Dam on Saturday, spent about 2 hours there. Had a military function (Weapons School Graduation at the Flamingo Sat night) to attend. I have been to Vegas so many times (spend 6 months there attend the Weapons School back in '96) that I actually lost only $5 in a slot machine the whole time I was there. I wish I would have had another day so I could have gone to the museum.....maybe next time.

Donna, maybe we saw each other at the airport on Sunday and did not realize it....my flight left at 7 in the morning (had to get back to family since it was fathers day). I was the good looking guy probably talking on the phone.

Oh man! I got to the airport about 7:45 AM, so I just missed you. I was staying at Bally's. We had our annual charity golf tournament and dinner/huge raffle on Saturday night. I saw some guys in cammies at my hotel......
Okay here is my itinerary for this weekend in case anyone is going to Palm Springs! I drive out there on Friday for a conference, go back to San Berdoo on Saturday for a job fair and then return to Palm Springs. Go back to LA area on Sunday. (I'll be in the company car) We should have a thread here to post where we all are traveling I guess! Small world huh? Note to self: I need to start wearing my GT/CS shirts when I am out of town.

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
Old 06/23/2008, 07:52 AM   #13
miller511
My Car Details

My Garage
Hi all,

What a small world...

We were in Vegas for my daughter's 21st birthday celebration...We were there to, well, keep an eye on her and her best friend and cart them around. We all had such a great time. The girls highly suggest the Chippendale show (at the Rio) and some guy named "Brian" who is the main attraction ...for all of you that enjoy that sort of thing ;-)

Yeah, the guy "Dan" picking up the Super Snake out front of the Shelby Factory was quietly excited. How cool must that have been for him? We chatted just for a second about the Kenne Bell Super Charger and the 725? ponies before he jumped in it and drove to the far parking lot and put it in a trailer. You can't see them, but there was a big crowd to both sides of me when I took that pic.

Upcoming itinerary next weekend... road trip to LA in the new CS to see a Dodger/Angel game at Dodger Stadium...I haven't been in 30 years!

Jeff Miller-
2007 Black GT/CS Coupe
Old 06/23/2008, 08:20 AM   #14
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Donna View Post
Note to self: I need to start wearing my GT/CS shirts when I am out of town.
It'd be better than "that jacket" you seem to like to wear.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
Old 06/23/2008, 10:56 PM   #15
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
It'd be better than "that jacket" you seem to like to wear.
Hahahahaaaa! Well just for you Joe...it's too hot out now to be wearing it.

But like I told you before...it makes me easy to find at the swap meets!

Closed Thread

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions