CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/03/2008, 06:51 PM   #1
classicsguy

Question 1968 GT/CS project car advice needed

There is a 1968 GT/CS project car available that I believe the owner's asking price is too high: Here is the description:

Is a genuine GT/CS and originally a T code 6 cil car.

car has no engine or transmission is just a roller

It has all the GT/CS fiberglass and components except for wrong fog lights

Car has been media blasted and its solid and minor sheetmetal repairs made like driver side floorpan replaced and doors were patched in lower corners but according to owner all sheetmetal original.

The car has a bench seat but not original to car. Has all glass

Maybe MOSESATM can post pictures here of the blue GT/CS in Nashville.

OWNER IS ASKING $7,200.00

The car was converted to 5 lug wheels

Do you believe that asking price is too high?
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsguy View Post
There is a 1968 GT/CS project car available that I believe the owner's asking price is too high: Here is the description:

Is a genuine GT/CS and originally a T code 6 cil car.

car has no engine or transmission is just a roller

It has all the GT/CS fiberglass and components except for wrong fog lights

Car has been media blasted and its solid and minor sheetmetal repairs made like driver side floorpan replaced and doors were patched in lower corners but according to owner all sheetmetal original.

The car has a bench seat but not original to car. Has all glass

Maybe MOSESATM can post pictures here of the blue GT/CS in Nashville.

OWNER IS ASKING $7,200.00

The car was converted to 5 lug wheels

Do you believe that asking price is too high?
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nashville 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	6228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nashville 2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	6229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nashville 3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	6230  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nashville 4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	6231  
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 08:02 PM   #3
classicsguy

Thanks Mosesatm!!! This gives forum members a better view!!
Old 04/03/2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Asking prices are always high, but if you're serious and can justify a reasonable offer based on what you said here!...........'Worth a try?

:-)

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 08:32 PM   #5
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Ah, it took a few minutes for my memory bank to spool up. Wasn't this the one we discussed early March? (vintageracer, Hollywood,TN) As I recall, it looked like a GOOD candidate for restoration. A 'T' code 6 cyl C/S is a rare bird, and if it were me, I'd keep it that way (MHO). Sight unseen, $7K seems OK with everything there (except eng & trans) and in good condition. If I were 10 years younger, I'd grab that baby, rotisserie it, and have a rare configuration model. I once did a '68 coupe, 6 cyl, A/T, A/C & P/S. It didn't smoke the rear tires, but was a sweet ride. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 08:37 PM   #6
clubpro

Cool

Remember,

I can get you all of the misc. parts that you need for the restoration at cost + 10% + the shipping charges.

The offer goes to all of the GT/CS owners on this site.

Cheers,

Ron
clubpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 08:58 PM   #7
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
The first thing I'd want to look at is the quality of the metal repairs. I've seen some truly ugly patch jobs, and it can run some cash to cut it out and redo it correctly. Second, I'd offer about $5K and see what he says. If you do most of the work yourself, and replace/rebuild everything, you're going to drop another $15-$20K on it. If you have it all done, double that. As always, it's cheaper to buy one already done, but if you restore it yourself, you know exactly what you're getting, and it's done the way you want.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2008, 09:11 PM   #8
classicsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
Ah, it took a few minutes for my memory bank to spool up. Wasn't this the one we discussed early March? (vintageracer, Hollywood,TN) As I recall, it looked like a GOOD candidate for restoration. A 'T' code 6 cyl C/S is a rare bird, and if it were me, I'd keep it that way (MHO). Sight unseen, $7K seems OK with everything there (except eng & trans) and in good condition. If I were 10 years younger, I'd grab that baby, rotisserie it, and have a rare configuration model. I once did a '68 coupe, 6 cyl, A/T, A/C & P/S. It didn't smoke the rear tires, but was a sweet ride. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Neil

If purchased I definetly will keep ita 6 cil although not a big fan of the 6 cyl but given the fact that its a GT/CS and they only made less than 50 I think will keep it original. It has a nice color combo: Acapulco Blue and parchment interior... owner will send me more pictures in weekend
Old 04/03/2008, 09:36 PM   #9
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Steve's right about cost if you have it done by a shop. The only job I ever sent out was the painting. I could do lacquer OK, but todays paint & process is different. But if you can do the work yourself (which to me was the beauty of the hobby), I would think you could bring it together for $5K to $7K plus painting.

Neil Hoppe
Old 04/03/2008, 09:37 PM   #10
classicsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post
The first thing I'd want to look at is the quality of the metal repairs. I've seen some truly ugly patch jobs, and it can run some cash to cut it out and redo it correctly. Second, I'd offer about $5K and see what he says. If you do most of the work yourself, and replace/rebuild everything, you're going to drop another $15-$20K on it. If you have it all done, double that. As always, it's cheaper to buy one already done, but if you restore it yourself, you know exactly what you're getting, and it's done the way you want.

Steve

Thanks Steve!! Actually 5k is what I have in mind to offer and still thinking. A Craigslist add that Donna posted for a J-code GT/CS that I was second in line to make an offer sold to the first person that went for 6K and it had the engine and transmission but was sitting for over 20 years...
Old 04/03/2008, 09:40 PM   #11
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post

... I once did a '68 coupe, 6 cyl, A/T, A/C & P/S. It didn't smoke the rear tires, but was a sweet ride......

Neil
Neil, why would someone order all of those options on a 6 cyl car? It just seems like too much of the limited HP would be lost to driving belts and torque converter before getting to the rear wheels. I mean.... Would that person have also requested a "tow package" if available??

'Jesskiddin' ;-) uh... sorta'

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2008, 06:56 AM   #12
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Everyone here knows how bad of shape our car was when we purchased it. Then the work began to replace metal, sandblast, etc. We payed slightly less than that for the original car, however, we were told the guy had all the parts to rebuild.

Long story short, he had some parts, but they were in bad shape as well. In the end, we easily had over 25K just in parts. Plus paint. And, we did most all the work ourselves with the exception of the final coat of paint and clearcoat.

You can easily get 30-33K in the car very quickly and more if you are restoring back to original or concourse correct.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2008, 07:10 AM   #13
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
WELLLL,
That's why they make chocolate & vanilla ice cream!! (Different strokes for different folks) I bought the car that I had from the original owner (a nurse) about 1985. It was ragged & rusted. Candyapple Red, red interior. Engine had a rod knock, exhaust manifold cracked (a common problem on the 6 bangers). I took it back to the original configuration throughout. I sold the car to a guy that was looking for a car for his 16 year old son. I told him it was just what he needed for a youngster - it looked sporty, and he sure wouldn't kill himself in it, and it had all the creature comforts. I had also called the nurse to see if she would like to see her old car. She almost fainted! "My gosh, that's exactly how it looked when I first drove it home." It was a really nice car, just a little anemic in the HP department. But you know, some folks aren't looking for earth shaking power. IMO, this 6 cyl C/S is a rarity worth keeping in its original status.

Neil

P.S.
I've seen Pauls photos of what they had to overcome in their restoration. IMO, they deserve the Medal of Honor & an Academy Award for valor & talent!!
Old 04/04/2008, 07:17 AM   #14
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I remember back in the '70's (I guess I'm a LOT older than Arlie ) there was a drag racer that had a 300 six in his car. He cut and welded two 351C heads together to make a 6 cyl head and was pretty competitive. Recently Mustangs and Fords did a series of articles on building 6's that I think included supercharging. Put the two ideas together and you'd have a killer 6.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2008, 07:47 AM   #15
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Many thanks there Neil.

By the way, I forgot one other thing. I competed against a guy at a car show here in KC. The guy drove down here from Lincoln, NE. He had a great car, freshly restored, 6 cylinder 1968 Mustang Coup. Not GT. Not GT/CS. Just a regular coup. He said he had over 50K in his restoration, as I remember it.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions