CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/17/2008, 04:47 AM   #1
gt bandit
My Car Details

Down Under Thunder

Stripe Opinion - purists "warning you may be offended"

Hi all ,

I have had my CS painted and removed all the custom striping - which i did like because it was very subdued but still let every know it was a CS.

I have arranged for a red stripe kit to match the interior . But i really am keen to look at other options.

Has anyone tried putting a Gun metal grey stripe in place ?
On a black car this might give me the look i am chasing without the boldness of the GT/CS stripe.

I assume the stripe kit can be copied by any competent decal shop , "computer imaging etc" So i guess any colour is up for discussion.

So if you had a Black car with red interior what colour stripe would you do !!!

68 J/R code special - 2007 Turbo Territory - Mercedes CLK 2008
gt bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2008, 05:14 AM   #2
somethingspecial

My Garage
I am what you would call a purist, but I am also open to experimentation. The common stripe for the Raven Black cars were white or red. One color that has been used as of late is a gold stripe. This looks great and it should have been offered in '68 IMO. A gun metal gray stripe on the black would look good and subtle. Personaly, a black car with red interior looks best with the red stripe. again, JMO. Experiment, Get an old fender or even just a piece of sheet metal, paint it black and try some different color stripes to see what looks best. You might find another color you like better. Good Luck. Mike
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2008, 05:29 AM   #3
koronen

I was thinking of putting gold stripes on my black 08, not completely sold on it though
koronen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2008, 06:59 AM   #4
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
My '71 Mustang is black w/red interior and has Argent (silver/ gun metal grey) stripes and I think it's a good combo. Would have prefered black interior but, oh well.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2008, 10:02 AM   #5
hotrodgrany
My Car Details

My Fast Stangs

eBay: leona289

Send a message via MSN to hotrodgrany
I think it would be a good color, but I prefer what I have on mine, but to each there own here is mine, and I found this other picture on bobwhitesdecals.com and simular to yours, but I believe it is silver on black, but would give you some what of a idea. The color you choose would be more subdue than this, it's your choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	decals 0n 07 GT-CS 021-222.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	5882   Click image for larger version

Name:	05RStripe1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	5883  
hotrodgrany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2008, 12:11 PM   #6
J.Bart
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to J.Bart
the nice thing about a vinyl stripe/ decal, you can easily go back to factory stripes. that is why i didn't hesitate to do my 08. if i decide to go back, you have them rmoved and the factory ones put on. i think i'm going to get a factory black set and store them with the rest of my stuff, just in case

jbart
J.Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...I like HG's hood stripes, Nice!
GT; I just took a minute to see if I can give you a little perspective.

As there are plenty of purists to keep posterity, there are also plenty of new ideas they didn't think of in 1968. Remember it is your car and your environs! Do what you love and others will admire...

I can agree with a more subtle stripe on black...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	5885  

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2008, 02:58 PM   #8
gt bandit
My Car Details

Down Under Thunder

Thanks Tim , that looks HOT - Amazing how you captured the wheels as well , but i have swapped them for the Ten spokes. I also added the 67 FG Shelby bonnet.

My car has always had subtle changes from new , but under the makeup she is a true GT/CS - I have the assembly line drink cup to prove it LOL :)

68 J/R code special - 2007 Turbo Territory - Mercedes CLK 2008
gt bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt bandit View Post
Thanks Tim , that looks HOT - Amazing how you captured the wheels as well , but i have swapped them for the Ten spokes. I also added the 67 FG Shelby bonnet.

My car has always had subtle changes from new , but under the makeup she is a true GT/CS - I have the assembly line drink cup to prove it LOL :)
...Okay - added the 67 hood and 10-spokes...
I can see why Ford didn't do this b/c it would be too competitive to Shelby,
but they should have!!

What a great plan (and you care what "purists" think of stripe colors?)!

Let's take it a step further; Rather than say it was inspired by Shelby or Li'l Red, we'll just originate it as "Bandit's Blackie" - with foundation, heart and soul of the true GT/CS!
;-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gtb2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	5886  

Tim
Old 02/17/2008, 04:31 PM   #10
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

Quote:
Hi all ,

I have had my CS painted and removed all the custom striping - which i did like because it was very subdued but still let every know it was a CS.

I have arranged for a red stripe kit to match the interior . But i really am keen to look at other options.

On a black car this might give me the look i am chasing without the boldness of the GT/CS stripe.

I assume the stripe kit can be copied by any competent decal shop , "computer imaging etc" So i guess any colour is up for discussion.

I loved the subdued stripes you had originally - perfect for that car!!! Go custom for your car - it is the custom part of your car that sets it apart and allows you to tell the GT/CS story and your custom version of it. Though I lean to purist, your car tells a different GT/CS story and should remain custom. As you know - I wish I had bought it before you did - I hesitated and lost Casey

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2008, 05:41 PM   #11
PNewitt

OH MY GAWD! GT BANDIT! are you out of your mind? The concours police are on their way!!! Here come the Falcon GT Interceptors!! WEE-WOO!!

(I just wanted to pull your chain).....

That's pretty neat. The GT/CS was born from So Cal, where mods were the norm of the day. I think you should go for it--and if you go with the ten spokes, paint the inside edges of the spokes in the same gunmetal color, then polish the rims and facing spokes...

This is a nice, subtle mod, and you can still show people what the package looked like--but it's your own. Too many mods, and people wonder what it was originally.

good on ya!

Paul N.
Old 02/17/2008, 06:21 PM   #12
nates68
My Car Details

Gt Bandit, Tim , Paul, I Showed My Gt/cs Modified The Way I Thought It Should Look. Even Had Shelby On The Back. Took This Off . Stripes Like On The 350 Shelby With Gt/cs In Place Of 350. I Just Cant Be A ' Purists '

Nates68
nates68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2008, 07:28 PM   #13
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by nates68 View Post
Gt Bandit, Tim , Paul, I Showed My Gt/cs Modified The Way I Thought It Should Look. Even Had Shelby On The Back. Took This Off . Stripes Like On The 350 Shelby With Gt/cs In Place Of 350. I Just Cant Be A ' Purists '

Nates68
...Better yet - Unique!
'Shows that we own & enjoy these cars for are own reasons.

"Purists" deserve a huge amount of respect for their research, meticulous attention to detail and outrageous expense in keeping their hobby as accurate as possible. Their esteem comes in part by wealth of knowledge gained along the way as well as awards & recognition by the most discerning judges at specific shows.

My experience in driving one of these every day is that the general public really doesn't care. I get approached regularly by everyone ranging from the curious young to the nostalgic elders with stories, glories and general admiration. This pleasure and the desire to drive & maintain clean and fully functional cars has defined my hobby.

For you, it may be making it a special 1 of a kind as your hobby. We do have choices...

Once in a while, I do encounter a "know it all" who will boastfully nitpick correct "this or that". More often than not, as the conversation goes on, you find he has done nothing to the standards he's trying to hold you to, so it winds up being just alot of "noise" anyway....

P.S. Today has been "Fix Or Repair Day" ;-)
'Lots to do to get ready for April!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0577.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	5887  

Tim
Old 02/17/2008, 07:43 PM   #14
nates68
My Car Details

Tim, Great Reply All True. I Feel My Car Gets More Looks Now Then
It Did Before I Modified . Im One Of The Few Who Has Had His Car Both Ways For The Last 18 Years.

Nates68
nates68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2008, 01:28 PM   #15
Mustanger

Quote:
Hi all ,

Go for it!! I remember bringing up this topic before : http://www.californiaspecial.com/for...ghlight=pewter

You can always go back to a more traditional/factory colored stripe if you change your mind ...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions