CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/12/2007, 10:55 PM   #1
@Holmes
My Car Details

eBay: SMUMANIAC

Arrow Rim Code Mystery

Guys and Gals

Does anyonehave the rim codes for our cars? Ford rims have markings on the front under the Ford logo and two letters on the reverse or brake side. Most have the "CC" code on the brake side. I have sets of "8ML" "8MK" and "8ME" There is Nothing on the internet. I have searched for hours. Some Chevy sites have rim code lists. They designate the date, plant and wheel cover. I know the 8 is for 68. I think the M is for mustang. I have no idea what the third letter is for or what it means. I don't know what the "CC" stands for on the reverse either.
If we could determine what codes are on say a J code as opposed to a C Code or R Code cars there might be a patern. My concern is that unless you are the original owner, rims could have easly been swaped out at a tire shop or simply replaced. My shop books only designate the part number. I am more interested in a J code car but I think if we could resolve this for all cars it would be a great restoration reference

I profess to know nothing and only wish to associate with those who do!
@Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2007, 11:52 PM   #2
J_Speegle

No real answer (haven't spent any time on the subject) but would offer the following

1- Not all wheels have the FoMoCo on them. There were a number (like many of the parts for a Mustang) of companies that made wheels for Ford one being Kelsey Hays and they are marked that way

2- The coding does not relate to Mustang. None of the wheels installed on Calif Specials were made specifically for Mustang.

3-The wheels would not have a code that indicated what engine size they were to be placed on.

4-The examples "8ML, 8ME, 8MK" are more likely IMHO decoded as "8" = year and the last letter = the month. The "M" may be the company/plant that stamped the wheel. If you check early bumper dates they show a similar.same pattern.

5- There are many different stampings found on rims. Have you looked at the rim - under the tire. Often size and additional date codes (likely related to the rim stamping since you seem to have focus on the stamping codes of the centers)

Just some observations/thoughts ;)
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions