CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/14/2007, 06:35 PM   #1
jaystang

GT/CS Side Scoops

Hey Guys,
I'm brand new here, but i have a feeling i'll have plenty of questions. I'm about to start a GT/CS clone project (not sure how people feel about clones here, but i already have a 68 coupe and can't afford the real deal), but anyway, i ordered a pair of side scoops off ebay. They didn't come with any type of mounting brackets or anything. How are the side scoops usually mounted? Is this something I will have to fabricate myself? Any advice would be helpful.

Also, does anyone know where i can get my hands on a copy of Paul Newitt's book?

Thanks in advance,
~Jamie
jaystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2007, 07:47 PM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
One the side scoop, there is a stud boss in the middle that you screw a stud into that goes through the body. There are also 2 sheet metal screws that go through the concave part below the screen into the body. Paul's new book will be coming out last year--oops--I mean shortly so you may want to get on his list and just get a copy of that.

Steve (Boy am I gonna get it now!)

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2007, 07:51 PM   #3
jaystang

Ah ok, thats what i was afriad of. I thought there was suppose to be a stud. The ones i recieved did not have a stud. I suppose i can fiberglass a stud on there.

Thanks for the heads up about his new book, thats great to hear! How would i go about getting on his list?
Old 09/14/2007, 09:30 PM   #4
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I think there's two ways to get on his list. Either make a comment like I did (I'm on your list now, right Paul? ) or go to the 2005 registry update thread. It has his contact info there I believe.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2007, 11:17 PM   #5
John McGilvary

Original owner/ First car/ CS/CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post
I think there's two ways to get on his list. Either make a comment like I did (I'm on your list now, right Paul? ) or go to the 2005 registry update thread. It has his contact info there I believe.

Steve
Good one Steve!!!!!!!

John
John McGilvary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2007, 09:17 AM   #6
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Jamie,
Yes, you will need to add a couple studs. They are generally in the ďcenter of the scoop. Before you do this, I might fit them to the car. Some of the less expensive scoops do not fit well and take a lot of work. Tony Branda has the best fiberglass in the business in my opinion. I have one on my car and it fits great.

If you use you current scoops you will need to match your stud and a new hole in the car. You will need to remove the rear window regulator and glass to install eventually, so you might as well do it now. Paulís book has a great pic of the hole in an original car. It is not very graceful looking and most appear like they were punched with a large punch of some kind, from the outside, after the car was coming down the line. They are quite large in some cases. So donít fret if you use a large washer or two to attach to the car.

I loved my sorta clone car. It was a 67 with a 250 six and a toploader 4 speed. I put the rear spoiler and end caps on. No t-bird taillights. Had a 69 Mach One hood scoop and blinkers. Front spoiler. A real fun driver and faster than one would think.

Good luck and make it yours!!! Remember to never miss-represent it if selling. With the prices of GT/CSís these days, you could end up in court!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2007, 12:40 PM   #7
PNewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post

Steve
Oh, yes, Steve.....I'm actually preparing a "nice little short list" just for you!!....

Paul N. (LOL)
Old 09/15/2007, 12:45 PM   #8
PNewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystang View Post
Thanks for the heads up about his new book, that's great to hear! How would I go about getting on his list?
If you, or anyone else would like to get on my mailing list (not to be confused with the "Steve List" (LOL))....and receive a mailer, just mail me an SASE, or at least your name and address to me ASAP at:

GT/CS Registry
Paul M. Newitt
P.O. Box 2245
Davis, CA 95617
USA

The book will be hardbound, about 200-plus pages, and include a DVD. The mailer will include lots of new information, ordering info, and a questionaire for members's cars.

thanks for asking.

Paul N.
Old 09/15/2007, 01:28 PM   #9
jaystang

Great, thanks everyone for the help. Paul, I will put a SASE in the mail first thing monday. Does it matter what size envelope?
Old 09/15/2007, 02:12 PM   #10
PNewitt

No, a standard # 11 is OK, with stamp. The mailer will consist of an 11x17" sheet (4pp. mailer), and one 8-1/2 by 11" page (questions and order form)--all folded into thirds ot fit into the envelope.

Thanks for asking.

Paul N.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions