CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/10/2003, 04:46 PM   #1
1966hcs
My Car Details

eBay: steffs66

Question about 1966 Timberline Green Paint.

Hi guys, I bought my 1966 Timberline Green coupe a little over a year ago, and Iíve been gradually restoring it to its original glory since. Now it is time to think about the painting of the HCS. I am having trouble having the Timberline Green color mixed at the Dupont and PPG shops. I have the Ford and the Dupont codes for the color, but as Iím in Europe the paint systems are not the same as in the US and they are having trouble finding the correct mix. Can anyone of you that have painted their Timberline Green HCSīs recently give me a feedback on your experience when it came to having the color mixed?
1966hcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2003, 03:29 AM   #2
66 Dearborn HCS

Send a message via AIM to 66 Dearborn HCS
Re:Question about 1966 Timberline Green Paint.

Do you have any portion of the vehicle that still has good original paint on it (quarter extension/headlight trim ring)? If you do, then buff it out so it looks good and all oxidization removed. The paint shop should have an opticla analyzer which can match the paint perfectly. It might cost a little more for them to do it, but then you'll be assured of a perfect match.
66 Dearborn HCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2003, 11:19 AM   #3
1966hcs
My Car Details

Quote:
Do you have any portion of the vehicle that still has good original paint on it (quarter extension/headlight trim ring)?
Unfortunately the car was painted in the eighties in a different shade of green (you canít tell from the pictures that it is not Timberline Green). When you open the doors the color difference becomes evident.

As for having the color analyzed optically, is really not an option as only Dupont has an analyzer and they say it is not accurate enough to differentiate rare and hard to mix shades. The only other option is to send a part of the car to Europe and have them analyze it in a more precise analyzer, but I donít have a part in the correct shade to send.

What I was hoping to hear are your stories telling me how easy it is to walk into a Dupont or PPG service center in the US and having them mix the color while you wait, but maybe that is not possible?? ???
Old 12/12/2003, 03:55 AM   #4
66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=1966hcs link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3922 date=1071166765]
Quote:

What I was hoping to hear are your stories telling me how easy it is to walk into a Dupont or PPG service center in the US and having them mix the color while you wait, but maybe that is not possible?? ???
Yes, yes, yes you can. I thought you only had access to paint shops in Europe. From what I've heard though, PPG can't make it as some of the tints they need are obsolete, but I know that Dupont can mix it as it was their color anyway. Take the paint mix code and they can do it. I bought a pint just so I could paint a Revell model the same color (don't ask, it was a disaster). [/quote]
Old 12/12/2003, 08:46 AM   #5
1966hcs
My Car Details

[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3933 date=1071226558]

Yes, yes, yes you can. I thought you only had access to paint shops in Europe.
[/quote]

Well I have friends and acquaintances going to the US all the time so I can get someone to pick it up for me. As for the Revell model you painted I assume you were trying to make a 1966 HCS in Timberline Green?
Old 12/12/2003, 08:38 PM   #6
66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=1966hcs link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3938 date=1071243979]
[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3933 date=1071226558]

Yes, yes, yes you can. I thought you only had access to paint shops in Europe.
[/quote]

Well I have friends and acquaintances going to the US all the time so I can get someone to pick it up for me. As for the Revell model you painted I assume you were trying to make a 1966 HCS in Timberline Green?
[/quote]

Yeah, I didn't know about hardener back then, :-X
It was a slimy mess that melted before my eyes because the paint ate the styrene. :'(
I didn't know WHAT I was doing. But it sounded like a cool idea at the time. ;D

I'm wondering if there will be an issue transporting chemicals (paint) internationally though? I'm assuming this would be by plane? I'd look into whether you can legally get it done or not.
Old 12/13/2003, 03:50 AM   #7
1966hcs
My Car Details

[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3944 date=1071286703]

It was a slimy mess that melted before my eyes because the paint ate the styrene. :'(
I didn't know WHAT I was doing. But it sounded like a cool idea at the time. ;D
[/quote]
I know what you mean, I've been there (Revell and Monogram cars and planes).

[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3944 date=1071286703]
I'm wondering if there will be an issue transporting chemicals (paint) internationally though? I'm assuming this would be by plane? I'd look into whether you can legally get it done or not.
[/quote]
Well I hadnít thought so far ahead, but Air transport is probably out of the picture. Iím an old sea dog, used to sail to Norfolk VA. and Boston MA, on freighters in the 70īs and 80īs and I still have contacts at the shipping company. I will probably have to renew my acquaintances there.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions