CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 11/02/2006, 09:44 PM   #1
classicsguy

Smile My GT/CS is on it way to the Restoration shop!!!

I finally sent my newly bought 1968 GT/CS to a Mustang specialized shop in Florida. The shop is Classic Creations of Central Florida. After almost 1 year of research for restoration shops I have decided on this one. Got great feedback from past customers and all of them positive.
The car needs a complete refurbishing and needs cowl work and possibly the 2 doors replaced and of course a new paint job. The car should be at the restoration shop on Friday.
If anyone is interested here is their website: www.classiccreationsfl.com
Their work has appeared on numerous Mustang Monthly magazines.
I will get a restoration estimate in the next 2 or 3 weeks so I am very excited to get the car started soon!
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2006, 12:43 AM   #2
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Best of luck and keep us posted CG!

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2006, 05:28 AM   #3
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
Congratulations! That`s good news!

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2006, 06:30 AM   #4
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage
how long did they say it will take?

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2006, 06:36 AM   #5
classicsguy

I will find out as soon as the car gets to the shop and evaluate the work to be done and how long it will take. I believe they wont be able to start working on it until December but I will know more once the car gets there.
Old 11/03/2006, 03:29 PM   #6
sam

sounds exciting...tell them not to rush it because you'll want a top notch job
Sam

it\'s great to own a 68\' ......live free or die
Sam
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2006, 12:16 AM   #7
RedGTvert

One thing to keep in mind, no matter how much they estimate, don't take that as a final number. Many things can come up that are easy to see. Make sure they detail all work done, both written and pictoral. Make sure they understand before spending any additional dollars that was not in the original estimate, to discuss with you first. This may be a pain for them, but it is your money, not theirs.

Many resto shops will do work without discussing with you. Also, will they allow you to supply any of the parts?
RedGTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2006, 09:27 AM   #8
CALIF GIRL
My Car Details

Congrats!
CALIF GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2006, 11:25 AM   #9
PNewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGTvert
One thing to keep in mind, no matter how much they estimate, don't take that as a final number. Many things can come up that are easy to see. Make sure they detail all work done, both written and pictoral. Make sure they understand before spending any additional dollars that was not in the original estimate, to discuss with you first. This may be a pain for them, but it is your money, not theirs.

Many resto shops will do work without discussing with you. Also, will they allow you to supply any of the parts?
First of all, my congratulations--and I share your enthusiasm for your taking this restoration plunge!!

I quoted RedGTvert, because I agree with the caution with having a shop do this. My only other "advice" is to remind this shop that your car is a "San Jose Produced" Mustang, and that the undercoating of the undercarriage--and wheelwells--is different than the Dearborn and NJ-factory cars. It's much less, and they are not painted black on the underside like the east coast cars. Have they done a GT/CS before? Or '68 Shelby?

Also--if you wish to go this far; have the fiberglas removed and painted separately. This will make it easier to put the stripes on the side scoops. Also, a lot of paint shops will paint over the semi-flat backing plates in the trunk with body color. It might be a real job, but it would make sense to go through the whole back end, have everything painted separately, and re-wire and clean up the taillight section as well. For a restoration, these are things to consider.

If you need any help, (paint codes, etc.) there are many here that can help you, and/or the shop if they have any specific questions. PM me if you have any specific questions, too. If you have Lucas lights, and you need the pedistals, ask Bob Teets.

Be sure to share photos of the progress with us, too!

Paul N.
Old 11/05/2006, 08:44 PM   #10
J_Speegle

Hope it turns out great. Does the shop have a good knowledge of San Jose built cars or are you just looking to "freshen up" the car a bit?

Lots of different kinds of restorations ;)

Saw a San Jose car done at Las Vegas MCA show last month. The guy hired a guy in Fla to help with the details (don't know why) Car ended up with all kinds of NJ details.... just a good thing the judges ;) and the owner didn't know better.

Did get him to pull the Metuchen paint inspector marks off the car at least. Detail guy was a bit embarrassed so I just stopped there.

Earlier this year judged a 67 Shelby in PA that had been restored as a 68 Shelby under the car. Owner was not happy with the news as it was apparent that he had paid someone allot of money for the job. On another 67 in attendance the front wheel wells had been finished as a Dearborn car.

It’s unfortunate that many shops do not get to see many/any San Jose cars and very few ever get in magazines though many are located on the west coast. This sort of thing goes on and on. And in general many of these details will never been mentioned until the car ends up in a magazine or for sale .... then the forums start using the car as an example :( of how not to restore a car

In any case I'm sure you will make sure you’re getting what you’re looking and paying for, based on your expectations.

Last edited by J_Speegle; 11/05/2006 at 08:56 PM..
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2006, 09:56 PM   #11
classicsguy

Thanks for all the advise!!! This restoration shop has been specializing in Mustangs for over 20 years so I hope they do things right,but I know that the GT/CS is not very common and all the details are not known by them. I am looking to freshen up the car and get it as close as possible to original condition. .
Old 11/05/2006, 11:33 PM   #12
marie68csmustangs

Wow! very exciting better keep us posted on the progress on that restoration..

Friend Owns Four Specials 1 GT/CS clone and 2 '69 Mach 1s. & '70 Mach 1
marie68csmustangs is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions