CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 10/05/2006, 12:17 PM   #1
PNewitt

Question for HCS owners..

Since I'm making a few collectibles, like decals, plaques, etc., I was wondering about the numbers breakdown for the HCS.

So far, we have license plate frames from Casey, that separate 4118 to 251 (HCS), and 3867 for the GT/CS.

It's not a real problem making separate HCS things, it's more of the demand for items. With about 1200 people on my list, I think about 100-120 are HCS folks. So--how do you feel about using the GT/CS decals, etc., on your '68 HCS?

Would you prefer the number split mentioned on the decal? I just am thinking of how to honor the HCS folks with these items. Would it be "dishonorable" to include the HCS as a collective part of the GT/CS? From a "this is business" Ford marketing point of view (circa June 1968) they thought of the HCS as a Denver dealer DSO branch off of the GT/CS program, to sell cars.

I'd like to hear from HCS owners about what they think about this. It has more to do with marketing--and respect, than to create any kind of thought of "division".

Thanks for your input,

Paul N.
Old 10/05/2006, 12:43 PM   #2
coloradoHCS
My Car Details

eBay: coniferhi

As an HCS owner I would prefer to see items for HCS's alone. No offense to the GT/CS and understanding the marketing plan of 1968 but the HCS predates the GT/CS. If the demand is not there for seperate decals then a number breakdown on a GT/CS decal would work for me.
I personally would not put a GT/CS decal, without some HCS recognition, on my car because it is not a California Special...then again I may just be grumpy today.
Mark.

1968 HCS 9350' ASL
coloradoHCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2006, 03:41 PM   #3
PNewitt

Good Point, Mark.
Grumpy? nah...(LOL!!)

You make the valid point that separate HCS items should be offered, like a decal for '66-'67-'68 HCS Mustangs (attn.: Mr. Teets). That actually would be a great idea, since it would honor the lineage of those years. I feel that the HCS should get more recognition.

I've always considered the '68 HCS as an HCS, since it was marketed that way. It's just that it's development in '68 was the same as the GT/CS, so there is some overlap. There's a difference from inclusion by production--and recognizing it as a separate limited edition. But then again, there are many overlaps with registries, i.e. Cobra Jet Registry and GT/CS, or GT390, X-Code, etc...which one could belong to more than one--with the same car!!

Maybe what this means is to (at least in things like decals, t-shirts, etc.) separate the GT/CS and HCS cars. Of course, I'll include (in fact will be expanding) the HCS history for my book. No change there.

Perhaps the HCS folks could provide some more commentary/reaction about this?

thanks, Paul.
Old 10/05/2006, 04:42 PM   #4
GTCSMustang

I would only be interested in HCS specific items.

Scott

68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Lme Gld GT/CS, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com .
GTCSMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...We can still do these as coffee mugs or shirts. Your personal HCS featured and design varied upon request...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HCS1 copy.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	2765  

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2006, 05:55 PM   #6
hcsstang

eBay: hcsstang

Being a owner of a HCS I to would preferred HCS merchandise.

302 V4 HCS
hcsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2006, 06:21 PM   #7
di81977

I would also prefer HCS specific items. But there clearly is a relationship between the two cars and something that addresses both of them on one item would be fine with me.

Paul, I appreciate your thoughtfulness on this subject. I am probably not as hardcore as others given that I currently have GT/CS decals and not the appropriate HCS ones on my car right now.

(BTW, I was the 5th calendar car)

David
di81977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2006, 11:24 PM   #8
PNewitt

You're welcome, David,

If GT/CS owners have had "recognition" problems from the public sometimes, then I can only wonder how the HCS folks have felt.

I'll see what the "HCS Guru" has to say ("pssst!...hey...Mr. Teets!"), and I'd like to know if the HCS folks would consider collectibles with or without all three years ('66, '67, '68) of the HCS as imagery.

It IS the 40th for the '67 HCS right now. For the '66 last year. We can't let '08 go by without honoring the '68 HCS.

This is going to be cool!

Paul N.
Old 10/06/2006, 06:47 AM   #9
GTCSMustang

Paul,

I think all HCS owners greatly appreciate what you are trying to do for us. Whether it be for all HCS years or just one year. However I would only be interested in something that specifically recognizes 1968.

Scott

68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Lme Gld GT/CS, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com .
Old 10/06/2006, 01:44 PM   #10
19HCS68

FORD, the heartbreak of today's Chevrolet.

I agree with Scott. I personnaly would prefer only 68 HCS specific products. That's all I got to say 'bout that.

Gary
19HCS68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2006, 03:52 PM   #11
PNewitt

OK, it sounds like the '68 HCS is the way to go.

I just need to go over this with Bob Teets, and get his "OK" before I do anything further.

I do have a really cool design in mind. When I find out more, we'll move ahead on this.

This, of course, will coincide with the return of the GT/CS Registry decals ASAP.

I'll get back to you all ASAP!

Paul N.
Old 10/06/2006, 11:24 PM   #12
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

I totally agree with Mark and Scott. Yup, I do.

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2006, 05:20 AM   #13
GTCSMustang

THANK YOU Paul.

Old 10/08/2006, 12:09 AM   #14
hicountrybob

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNewitt
You're welcome, David,

If GT/CS owners have had "recognition" problems from the public sometimes, then I can only wonder how the HCS folks have felt.

I'll see what the "HCS Guru" has to say ("pssst!...hey...Mr. Teets!"), and I'd like to know if the HCS folks would consider collectibles with or without all three years ('66, '67, '68) of the HCS as imagery.

It IS the 40th for the '67 HCS right now. For the '66 last year. We can't let '08 go by without honoring the '68 HCS.

This is going to be cool!

Paul N.
Paul, I think we HCS owners, for the most part, would want our own decals. I, too, would not run a CS decal on one of my HC's and visa versa, I would not run a HC decal on my '68 royal maroon CS. I don't know how one would want to handle the 3 different years of the HCS (perhaps all 3 years listed on a decal). Lately I sold my '66 HCS and would have run a HC decal on it, but it would have had to say no year or '66 on it somewhere. So, perhaps because of such few HCS owners on this site (and really, out there in the real world), I don't think, $ wise, it will pay to make up a different decal for each of the three years, so how about 1 HCS decal with all 3 YEARS OR 1 HCS decal with NO YEARS on it. I try to remember, too, that many of us should NEVER SAY NEVER in our hunt for a toy because one day a HC owner may find a CS (as in 428) that they can't live without and a CS owner may find a HCS (as in 428) that they can't live without. Ask me or Scott Fuller about that 'cus we've been there, done that. How's about a find like a '66 or '67 HCS fastback? Would I rid myself of a '68 HCS coupe or a maroon '68 J code CS to buy it? IN A HEART BEAT. So would many of you, I'm sure. I guess I'm being selfish in wanting to cover all the bases here. Would others here buy into this decal separation theory, also? Let's here from you soon so that Paul N. can get rolling on this. Thanks, HC Bob Teets here.
hicountrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2006, 07:49 AM   #15
GTCSMustang

Paul,

Are you thinking of doing window decals or other items too?

Tim (Midnight Special) - Can you change the graphic shown on the previous page to have a hood scoop and black stripe (428)? I'd be interested in paying you to come up with a 428 HCS graphic. Something with "428", and "Cobra Jet", "HCS", and "1 of 9". Hey Bob...is nine the right number?

Scott

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions