CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/15/2006, 12:28 PM   #1
PNewitt

GT/CS Dash Plaque--I need your input.

I need your input on something I'm designing for the Registry.

With the book, I would like to include a few goodies, one being some sort of dash plaque.

Here are the possibilities:

1. Classic dash plaque. It has on it: "1968 Ford Mustang GT/CS -- Member- GT/CS Registry" wit hartwork of the car, a plam tree, etc.

2. A little dash emblem that just happens to fit where the little red and chrome horse goes--on the RH dash , next to the word "MUSTANG". it would say: "GT/CS" , or "GT/CS Registry"

3. Door Sill plates that would say: "1968 Ford Mustang GT/CS", with the stripe logo, and "California Special" script logo, too.

4. An under-hood plate that could fit in that fender notch, where it meets that LH side inner fender. It's between two fender bolts. It would say: "Member--"GT/CS Registry". I have to be careful to not make these look like VIN plates., nor should they be used to "authenticate fakes", etc... I don't wish to mislead folks, either.

Actually, 1,3, and 4 could be the same, and used in any of the places i mentioned. I'm also looking into using an existing plastic (or metal) original emblem frame backing, like they used for a Fairlane, or '66 T-5, etc., that is off the shelf, to put the plaque into. But--where would you put something like that? Not on the fender. The plaque colors will be most likely black and (California) Gold, just like the decal.

What are your thoughts about this? Would you like it to also say: "1968-2008" 40th Anniversary of the Mustang GT/CS"?? (I'd like to say: "Designed for Ford by Shelby Automotive", but that would cause a real ruckus if I did THAT..).

Thanks for your input. BTW--I'm doing the decals very soon, too. Similar in the old design, but with the number changed, etc. It will be like original, in gold and black.

Paul N.
Old 09/15/2006, 12:50 PM   #2
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Paul

I like all of those ideas. I don't do anything with my dash plaques that I receive from shows except sit them in my trophy case. However, it would be very nice to put something on the car.

Door sill plates really take a beating if you drive the car. I am expecting to change mine out next year after two years of use. I don't like having ones beat up that I can not open my doors.

I think by putting one on the inner fender but you know what everyone is going to say "we got that idea from the Shelby's are we are trying to be like one".

Long story short, I look forward to anything you put out!!!

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2006, 12:55 PM   #3
PNewitt

Hmmm...well, we could use the original advertising slogan in '68..
"Inspired by the Shelby GT".

Truth in advertising...

thanks!

Paul N.
Old 09/15/2006, 01:19 PM   #4
sam

all sounds like good stuff to me. What about something off the original dealer handout brochure "California made it happen" etc

SAM

it\'s great to own a 68\' ......live free or die
Sam
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2006, 02:54 PM   #5
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

I would like something that includes the new GT/CS owners as well. Thus, anything that has the 68 on it, or is specifically designed to go in a special place of a 68 would be difficult for the new owners.

So, with that as my reasoning, I like the idea of "Member XXXX GT/CS Registry" that fits under the hood in the notch. This could then be used most anywhere by 68/07/08 GT/CS owners. (I would use mine in the fender notch). I suggest silver or gold with black lettering - it looks classy vs all the other magnet type show plaques. I have made up gold ones for car shows before (using the company Shelby uses) and they look really good.

One of the original brochures I have says "Inspiration by Shelby GT". This would be nice to have on the plaque to show the true Shelby connection (as advertised in 68 and as inferred in 07).

Casey

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2006, 07:37 PM   #6
PNewitt

I like Casey's idea. The fender notch is a good place to put a plaque, and it can be attached with a magnet (temporarily), or with that 3M body part tape, or even rivets, for those willing to drill two holes.

The gold color, or maybe highly polished brass, is both classy, and it distinguishes it from an aluminum VIN tag. A gold looking plate will look like it belongs there in the fender notch--but unique enough to not fool anyone into thinking it's a VIN tag. It could be attached to the dash, just like any other dash plaque, or even up on an upper console, just behind of the lamp switches if one wanted to do that.

As for the year designation--it wouldn't be any problem to make one for the '68, (and even the HCS) and one for the '07/'08 GT/CSs. The graphic styles of the stripe are different anyway. I'd have to check to see if "it's OK" to use the Shelby name on it. Shelby is getting anxious about anything with it's name on it ($$) these days. "Inspired by the Shelby GT" is one verbage I could use, but I do like "California Made it Happen" (or for the HCS "The West Made it Happen" ). What is ironic is now that the Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT uses a lot of the GT/CS parts, sooo.....you could say: "Inspiration FOR the Shelby GT" (LOL!)

I like the GT/CS Registry Member number idea. I could use the last five digits of the car's VIN as the number, and have it custom engraved by myself.

Paul.
Old 09/15/2006, 09:27 PM   #7
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
I`d like something that says "An Original 1968 California Special" One of 1100 Registered Survivors". That was just something I came up with out of the blue. I`ll keep thinking about it.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2006, 10:00 PM   #8
CalPaul

I'd be interested in something in the engine bay. I'm not big on changing anything in the interior.

CalPaul
CalPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2006, 01:10 AM   #9
CJ 56
My Car Details

HI Paul, Chris from New Zealand, Some thing under the bonnet that fits the cut out on that LH guard. Registry Number is important, But a if you can get the word Shelby in there somewhere it would be perfect.I was designing my own for an up comming show.

68 GT/CS, 67 GTA convertible
CJ 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2006, 01:29 AM   #10
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNewitt
Hmmm...well, we could use the original advertising slogan in '68..
"Inspired by the Shelby GT".

Truth in advertising...

thanks!

Paul N.
How about something that combines the above and one other suggestion in the thread...

"Inspired by Shelby, California made it happen"

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2006, 06:44 AM   #11
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

Using the words in the context of a sentence is ok. "Inspiration by Shelby GT" is Shelby used in a sentence, and in historical context. Just like your using the sentence in a book or magazine. Also the phrase is in the public domain since 1968 - and the phrase did not come from Shelby.

Arguably parts from the 07 were reused from/for the Shelby in 07, so it is also inspired by Shelby.

I would make the same plaque for the 07 and 68 to be inclusive and appealing to a broader audience - it also emphasizes that Ford recognizes the value of the GT/CS in 68 to make another one in 07.

"California Made it Happen" was nice in 1968, but not true for 07. Also, just like when I did the license plate frames, the votes went away from that phrase because not everyone outside California thought that would go over well in other states where many of the cars now reside.

Casey

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2006, 02:19 PM   #12
CJ

Another Car Show Winner for 2009

Paul; Having the plaque displayed in the fender notch would look like it belongs there with the last several digits of the VIN and whatever verbiage identifies the GT/CS.

CJ

CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2006, 06:45 PM   #13
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Paul: I'd vote also for the inner fender plaque. I don't really want to change the interior of my car but I would also like a window decal to show registry membership. Just my thoughts along with all the rest here. Thanks!

Steve in Missouri
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2006, 12:36 AM   #14
PNewitt

I think that this fender-notch plaque idea is catching on. I like how we shuffle ideas like this around. Good ideas, and responses! Thanks!

I'm thinking about the plaque having "8R01" printed on each one, then the engine code and the six digit number engraved on the plaque.

I am considering selling these ONLY to those who have sent me a copy of their Marti Report, and/or a copy of the original invoice with the VIN on it.

This way, it would be an exclusive item, for those who have proven their authenticity.

What would you think of that? I already have quite a few Marti reports. The basic report is not all that expensive--and well worth it.

I'm still thinking about having one or two for both year groups. I would prefer to keep them separate. The '68 version would say "Inspired by the Shelby GT", and the '07-'08 version would say: "Inspired by the 1968 GT/California Special".

I would also like to make this plaque as long as the notch in the fender.

thanks again, Paul N.
Old 09/17/2006, 02:20 AM   #15
CJ 56
My Car Details

Hi Paul
This is starting to develop well, sent my Marti with the video tape etc, hope you have it.
Chris NZ

68 GT/CS, 67 GTA convertible
CJ 56 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions