CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 10/31/2005, 10:29 AM   #1
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Winter Projects

I think we posted a similar thread last year but wanted to see what everyone had planned for winter projects on the cars.

Our list includes: Remove and replace our power steering pump (leaking), Remove and replace speedo (not working), change or check lubes, remove and replace window crank handles (with 1967 version), clean entire car top to bottom, touch up paint (interior, exterior, and underside). We are also looking for a 9' rear end with posi track. We currently run a 9 in with 325 gears but would like to upgrade to posi track.

Then store for the winter!!!

Paul
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2005, 11:47 AM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Re:Winter Projects

I'm rebuilding my air cond. compressor, and then spending the rest of the winter fixing really bad body work and rust repair on my '69 Fairlane conv. I know, I know, it's not a CS but welding in sheet metal is a cheap way to pass the time because no one makes most of the stuff so I have to make my own patch panels. A 4x8 piece of steel is pretty cheap really.
Steve :D
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2005, 01:05 PM   #3
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Winter is a good time to prep our cars for spingtime driving. I am picking up my car from the body shop on Friday. It's all painted and they are putting on the fenders, hood, doors and trunk this week. I have just put the heater box back together with a new heater core and air cond. evaporator. New blower motor too. I have a lot of work to do on these upcoming cold winter evenings putting my car back together. Hope to have it ready to drive in the Spring. Wish me luck!
Steve :)
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2005, 03:11 PM   #4
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

OK, let's see how much #$%# I get from this post ;D

I hope to finish the installation of my Holley 174 blower (having problems with pulleys because I want the blower and my AC) and a freshened up forged piston 302.

Then (here's where I expect the $%#^ from the people in other parts of the country), since I live in Southern CA, I expect to drive my GT/CS all winter.

;D ;D ;D ;D
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2005, 03:11 PM   #5
PFSlim
My Car Details

My Garage

Steve

Hope we can get together this next year with the GT/CS's. If I can offer up any words of advise for putting your car back together, please let me know.

Seems like we made about all the mistakes and learning experiences we could when putting ours back together. Without the help of Brian B., we would still be scratching our heads.

Paul
Old 10/31/2005, 03:13 PM   #6
Mosesatm

[quote author=joedls link=board=1;threadid=2321;start=0#msg16136 date=1130796696]
OK, let's see how much #$%# I get from this post ;D

I hope to finish the installation of my Holley 174 blower (having problems with pulleys because I want the blower and my AC) and a freshened up forged piston 302.

Then (here's where I expect the $%#^ from the people in other parts of the country), since I live in Southern CA, I expect to drive my GT/CS all winter.

;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Ditto from Texas! Not the blower part, just the driving part.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Perkchiro
My Car Details

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=2321;start=0#msg16137 date=1130796716]
Steve

Hope we can get together this next year with the GT/CS's. If I can offer up any words of advise for putting your car back together, please let me know.

Seems like we made about all the mistakes and learning experiences we could when putting ours back together. Without the help of Brian B., we would still be scratching our heads.

Paul
[/quote]

Thanks Paul: I'm sure I'll be picking your and Brian's brain from time to time. Things are going fairly smoothly so far, but I'm far from finished. Although I've installed the engine, I haven't got the wiring finished, so no start up yet. I'm hoping that the engine starts and there's no hitches. Would hate to pull that engine out with freshly painted fenders! I appreciate all of the wisdom offered through this website. You all are a great bunch of GT/CS and HCS lovers!
Steve
Old 10/31/2005, 03:46 PM   #8
DSO51
My Car Details

Living the High Life

First things first.... Rebuilding the front end on my '68 HCS. It's been getting a little sloppy over the last couple of years. I could probably get away with just replacing a few bushings but why not take the opportunity to improve the handling and the safety.

2nd..... Just purchased a 1967 HCS. My plan is to strip it down and start from scratch. I've never done a complete restoration but each partial has gotten more and more detailed. So... this time I have decided to go the extra step and see what comes of it.

Any advice would always be appreciated.

Craig (DSO51)
DSO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2005, 03:51 PM   #9
Perkchiro
My Car Details

Craig: Looks like you're starting with the same intent I had, a full ground up resto. PFSlim (Paul) on this website did the same thing. See his beautiful GT/CS in the gallery. Good luck and post questions here. Many of us here can help you along the way.
Steve
Old 10/31/2005, 04:08 PM   #10
DSO51
My Car Details

Living the High Life

My intent is to have it look completely "bone stock" and do all the little performance upgrades that make it a pleasure to drive. Get a few more horsies out of the 289. Improve the ride and handling. Change the 3 speed out for a 4 speed and so on.

Oh, I know that I will have way more into this car than it will be worth. It won't be the first time. However, some people drink, some do drugs, some gamble their money away. Me.... I find no greater satisfaction than putting another classic pony on the road or working hand in hand with one of my 2 boys imparting the ethics of hard work and being able to see results of your labor at the end of the day.

What price would "Joe Everybody" put on a simple "thumbs up" as you drive buy?

So... as I climb off my soap box - thanks for the input.

Craig
DSO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2005, 04:20 PM   #11
Mosesatm

Bill, (Nfrntau) is in the middle of a ground up restoration too. Most of the structural metal work is done and the body work is probably half finished. It's nice to see so many ambitious souls on this site!
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2005, 06:23 PM   #12
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage

Take the battery out, put the car cover on, get my butt back in the house by the fire and hibernate till spring. Been snowing the past 2 days here. ;D ;D man I love living where you get the oportunity to enjoy all 4 seasons to their fullest. Life is good!!!!

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2005, 08:34 PM   #13
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage

We get to enjoy the four seasons down here too. Of course down here fall and spring last about 2 weeks each. lol
Winter goals for me is to keep chugging along.
I'm finally to the part where each new thing I do to the car makes it look better. As Arlile mentioned the next couple items are to finish the metal and bodywork.
I'm happy to report my restoration is right on schedule. Of coarse my schedule was between two and five years. ;D
I'm 13 months since I removed the first bolt in dissassembly.
Craig, if you don't have one get a digital camera and take LOTS of photos. You will find out that you will still wish you had a photo you missed. Any help I can lend is just a question away.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2005, 07:32 AM   #14
PFSlim
My Car Details

My Garage

Craig

I agree. Take many digital photo's and post on the gallery page at this site. We love to see the progress. We are willing to offer up free advise. Our gallery is now on page 5 (Paul & Brian Stevenson). As you can see, we did not start with much.

Cory - Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!

Weather here in Kansas City is high upper 60's - lower 70's, slight frost in the morning - low mid 30's. Still GT/CS weather (for now). You guys in CA and TX - Drive them!!!!! ;D ;D

Paul

Old 11/01/2005, 10:16 AM   #15
jk89cat
My Car Details

eBay: jk89cat

Send a message via MSN to jk89cat

my big project is to get the metal welded on the 1/4s of my galaxie so i can get it painted and assembled . so i can also finally get my stang home and get it going . so many projects , so little time.
jk89cat is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions