CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 06/13/2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Underhood Restoration

Here's another question for those more experienced in restoration. Is there a good resource book for restoration of the underhood area? I want to re-run wiring and use original decals in their proper positions. Any help would be appreciated.
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2005, 12:41 AM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Re:Underhood Restoration

What I do is take a lot of pictures before I start taking things apart. That way I can reference them when I get ready to start putting it back together. Words of wisdom---if using a conventional camera, get the pictures developed before you start disassembling and if using digital, store them on a CD in addition to your hard drive. Guess how I found out about these things.
>:(

Steve
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2005, 06:47 AM   #3
Perkchiro
My Car Details

That's a great idea. The problem is, the engine bay has been apparently changed somewhat with a poor detailing effort and decals removed. Wiring has been cut and reattached in a few locations too. Plastic wire looms have deteriorated. You get the picture. I've viewed the pictures of engine bays on this website. Many of you have done great jobs detailing underhood and I just wondered if there was a printed resource to help me with the details. Thanks for your response, much appreciated!

Steve
Old 06/14/2005, 06:49 AM   #4
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage

Steve is right. Take as many photo's as you can. However, our car was so bad that we still did not have a clue where everything went. We did three things:

1. We had a pretty bad donor car but it provided us with at least some leads.

2. There are several books for restoration. I have one at home that is borrowed from a buddy that shows motor compartments, stickers, etc. We came across this after we finished ours. Also, don't forget about Paul's book. It is the best resource for our cars.

3. The biggest help is right here on the site. Look at the gallery photo's. If you get stuck, ask someone here to post a picture for you. Everyone here is more than willing to share information and photo's.

Lastly, Nixa isn't that far from Kansas City. Come and visit us and maybe we can help you by looking at our car!!!

Paul
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2005, 08:16 AM   #5
bbeatty

Perkchiro,

You're in luck! ;D

There's a Mustang Club National show in Kansas City June 24, 25 and 26. http://vintagemustangofkc.com/2005%2...nal%20Show.htm
There will be a couple of hundred beautifully restored Mustangs on display for your enjoyment. Bring your camera and plan on spending a few hours documenting everything you want. If I can get my overheating problems figured out, there may even be a GT/CS around somewhere! If you need plans for the rest of the family while your looking at Mustangs just let me know!
bbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2005, 08:17 AM   #6
Perkchiro
My Car Details

Thanks for the info Paul. I'm up in Kansas City periodically and would love to see your car. If you would like, email me your phone and address and I'll call you when I'm back in your area. Thanks a lot. My email is : Perkchiro@hotmail.com
Old 06/14/2005, 08:34 AM   #7
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage

[quote author=bbeatty link=board=1;threadid=1798;start=0#msg11559 date=1118762217]
Perkchiro,

You're in luck! ;D

There's a Mustang Club National show in Kansas City June 24, 25 and 26. http://vintagemustangofkc.com/2005%2...nal%20Show.htm
There will be a couple of hundred beautifully restored Mustangs on display for your enjoyment. Bring your camera and plan on spending a few hours documenting everything you want. If I can get my overheating problems figured out, there may even be a GT/CS around somewhere! If you need plans for the rest of the family while your looking at Mustangs just let me know!
[/quote]

Brian B. - We have somewhat taken this off our schedule since we have to go to the All Ford Show at KCIR. If you are going to show and you want us to come, please let me know. I have already given Sat away but could do Sunday.

Paul
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions