CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 01/01/2018, 02:59 PM   #151
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl89 View Post
Scott, thank you for the link to that thread.

Ok, so here is my question, that guy had a Canadian non emission 68 GT 390. It sounds like its set up like my Canadian non emission 68 GT 390 ('67 GT air cleaner, bakelite spacer, no pcv tube) So maybe the Canadian cars didnt come w/the pcv tube?
The plug in the front of my manifold has blue paint on it. (looks original)
Anyone know anything about the Canadian cars? Marty?? Arlie? Neil? Rob?
my other question is what does the tube do?
Sheryl,
The fitting on your spacer plate is for the PCV valve hose. Your newer carb has a fitting on it for the PCV hose, but your original Holley does not so you will need to use the fitting on your spacer plate. The two fittings with all the vacuum connections behind your carb look factory, but I cannot see the furthest one back very well due to the PCV Valve hose. Dan's and Eric's engines use the further one back as the rear connection for the PCV valve "tube" on their cars. I am curious as the whether your back fitting has a connection point for this tube? It would be plugged by a brass nut with a reverse flare to seal it.

I agree that your car looks original right down the mouse nest (just kidding). The plug in the front looks like a factory style nut, but this tube could have been removed long in the past and the fittings removed or plugged. But I am not up on what the difference is on Canadian cars.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2018, 03:07 PM   #152
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Happy New Year from Triple B's Muscle Car Clinic!! Cruz in bound at a local mall for New Years! Turn your speakers up!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93EqIeSu8fs
Old 01/02/2018, 09:39 AM   #153
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
- regarding the PCV tube. Years ago a friend explained to me that the tube
helped balanced the vacuum pulse between the intake runners. Which supposedly makes a smoother idle. It is only found on the 4V intakes with large runners.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 08:20 PM   #154
68gulfstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl89 View Post
+1 I have to research fast, the part you found me would be perfect, if I need to get it. Thank you for finding it for me
Here is some info according to the S Code Registry website:

"Please note that 1968 Mustangs with a 390 4V engine and a Canadian DSO received the 1967 air cleaner assembly with the screened openings."

http://www.scoderegistry.com/history...e-air-cleaners
68gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2018, 10:38 PM   #155
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Eric,
Awesome research!!! Sheryl will love you for that!! I just got the thread repair kit today to fix her carb! Hope to get it ironed out in the next day or two!!

Rob
Old 01/03/2018, 12:59 AM   #156
Batgirl89

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarCJ View Post
- regarding the PCV tube. Years ago a friend explained to me that the tube
helped balanced the vacuum pulse between the intake runners. Which supposedly makes a smoother idle. It is only found on the 4V intakes with large runners.
Scott, Thank you for the info!
my carb may need that!
Sheryl
Batgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2018, 01:02 AM   #157
Batgirl89

My Garage
Eric, thank you! youre such a great addition to the forum. (and Rob is right!, he knows me too well)

Rob, I loved the New Years Utube video, and the one that came after, Erics wet test on Dans car! nice
Old 01/03/2018, 09:59 AM   #158
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I need to capture it, but the Mustangs Restoration Manual shows a 1968 390 without the tube we are speaking of. They show it more for a 1967 GT-390 which also puts you in the early 68 bracket of hold over parts. What are the build dates for these three Big Block Stangs?

Rob
Old 01/04/2018, 12:55 PM   #159
calspcl

April 15th for mine

1968 390-4speed GT/CS "Acapulco blue is beautiful"
2001 F-350 diesel dually flatbed hauler
1970 bronco
calspcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 01:11 PM   #160
68gulfstream

6/20/68 for ours, pretty late car.
68gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 02:36 PM   #161
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
My guess is the Canadian thing or left over parts. Or the restoration guide is in error.

Rob

Wet testing Sheryl's carb after the stripped needle and seat fixed. Hope it goes well. It ran very nice the first time. Just a bit of a flat spot off idle.
Old 01/04/2018, 03:18 PM   #162
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
I need to capture it, but the Mustangs Restoration Manual shows a 1968 390 without the tube we are speaking of. They show it more for a 1967 GT-390 which also puts you in the early 68 bracket of hold over parts. What are the build dates for these three Big Block Stangs?

Rob
Your restoration manual just says "1968 390"? The 1968 X code 390-2V does not have the transfer tube, so that statement would be correct.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2018, 09:12 PM   #163
Batgirl89

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post

Rob
May 16 for Gem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20180104_145902(1).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	21940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20180104_145358.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	21941  
Old 01/05/2018, 03:40 PM   #164
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
All,
I finally wrestled Sheryl’s carb for Gem her 1968 Big Block 390 automatic GT/CS to the ground. Had to get a thread repair kit for the needle and seat hole in the float bowl. Got that done and if anyone has a stripped float bowl, I can fix it.

Well, I performed a few tricks to get it better, but to no avail. It idled like crap and had a large flat spot of idle. Just like before even after the secondary idle discharge port enlargement from .022 to .028 in diameter per the Ford TSB bulletin. I could close down the idle screw on the driver side and kill the engine. The passenger side had no effect. I could tell that the driver side was compensating for the passenger side. Ok engine vacuum, but not steady and a noticeable miss on the right back of the engine. Crap!!

Back off for the 3rd time. Off with the front metering block. Cleaning and blowing out all passages yet again. All seemed clear and was about ready to remove the soft plugs and disassemble the emulsion tubes from the metering block which I have never had to do before.

Started to inspect the transfer slots and the idle discharge port in the throttle plate assembly. Got out the magnifying glass and low and behold. This 1968 era Holley has a second set of idle mixture screws and someone had completely closed down the passenger idle discharge pot. I have sent this to the Holley tech line and they have never seen this before. Of course it is a tiny screw and stuck from sitting all these years. Out with the blow torch and the Kroil and with some patience I got it unstuck and screwed it out to the same depth as the driver side.

Below are some pictures of this secondary port on these old Holley’s. I would like Dan and Eric to see if they can take a picture of their throttle plate to see if they are there also on their carbs. I bet they are and I learned yet another idiosyncrasy of these carbs.

Sheryl’s carb runs like butter now!! Check out the link and hear it run!!

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbgc6q5XZ-Q

Old 01/05/2018, 07:06 PM   #165
Batgirl89

My Garage
OMG Rob, carb from hell !!! We greatly appreciate your hard work and perseverance! wow Thank you for hanging in there and kicking the carbs butt, you are a Master Carb guy now for sure Love the utube video and so excited that it runs so well! woo hoo!

Thank You, Thank you

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions