• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted Narrow Grill Molding

franklinair

I'm in a quandary trying to get a decent pair of the narrow grill moldings. I ordered & received a set from CJ Pony. They were misshaped and didn't fit. The mfr's name was unfamiliar, so I researched Scott Drake for the same parts as Drake has a decent reputation for quality. I ordered their product from Summit, and they came with the same mfr name as the previous pair and they were even worse. I called Scott Drake's customer service and they told me there is only one repro supplier for this part. And that they've sold 'thousands' of these with no complaints.
C7ZZ-8242-AR, C7ZZ-8243-AR Scott Drake P/N's.
Hmmm. Two for two faulty pairs, from different retailers makes this hard to believe. Here's a photo of the right trim piece. It obviously doesn't match the contour of the body. If I try to bend it to fit it will kink in the bend radius.
The old pieces are very dull & dented.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 34

Ruppstang

In my mind the reproduction narrow grill moldings are one of the worst reproduction parts made. It is a difficult part to make, even the latter Ford one were not good.

I have had some luck clamping them with a soft wood block to my bench then carefully bending it. You really have nothing to loose in trying to re form them. I'll look and see if I have any good ones.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I got it installed OK. Gingerly fitting & clamping did the trick. REALLY poor repo quality. And apparently only one company supplies all vendors (even Scott Drake).
Sorry both photos rotated 90 degrees. :-(

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Stephen has graciously allowed me to go over his Gulfstream Aqua CS while I'm waiting to get my own car to restore (idle hands were driving me crazy).:wink:

Neil

Attachments

• 053 (3).jpg
    053 (3).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Doug2.JPG
    Doug2.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0162.jpg