• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 New Memebr

1968Cally

Hello! New member here. Sort of. I must have been a member back in 2002-2005 as the GTCS I owned is on the registry here. I really regret selling that car (8R01C150125) and am now interested in getting another 1968 GTCS. I am trying to figure out what these cars are worth now. I found the price guide here on the site but it is about 15 years old.

In 2002, I bought a 1968 GTCS that was pretty much a stock trailer queen. I took a Silver in the Councours Trailered Class in the Mustang Grand Nationals in 2004. I would have gotten Gold if I had the correct air cleaner Assembly. I paid $19,500 for it. I sold it in 2005 for $42k after putting about $500 into it. The car was Red with a black vinyl top and Saddle interior. Upper and lower consoles, PS/PB, air conditioning, Marchan Fog Lights and a 289 2V with a C4 Automatic. It also had the Shelby 10 spoke wheels which I loved. I saw it advertised for sale a couple years later and the 10 spokes were gone and it had the chrome GT wheels. Now, I just found that Bonhams auctioned it in London in 2013 and it sold for $24,285 USD which included the premium! Here is the link which has some pictures.
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20926/lot/386/ The air cleaner is now correct.
Then, in 2015 it sold for 27,563 pounds in England which, given the exchange rate on the sale date would have equated to $42,752 (USD) Here is the link:
https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1968-ford-mustang-gtcs As you can see, it still seems to be a number one car.

So, having recently sold my 1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr. Hardtop, I am in the hunt for another GTCS. I am hoping to find one that is in number one or very nice number two condition. However, not sure what they are realistically worth. The Hagerty price guide indicates $$40,700 for a number one and $36,400 for a number two. Add 10% for a four speed, 6% for air, -10% for a six and -5% for an automatic.

I ran across a very nice one for sale. Probably a One minus as a few of the under carriage components show a little rust. A 390 4-speed. No PS, AC or console. The dealer is asking $59,900. Here is a link to the ad.
https://classiccars.com/listings/vi...-special)-for-sale-in-st-louis-missouri-63114

What would other members think of this price? Seems like other cars I have seen for sale in the number 2- or 3 category have been priced more in line with the Hagerty price guide. I realize this is a dealer which would probably ad $5k to the price. Not sure how much the 390 adds. Honestly, I would rather have a 289/C4 and have a console and PS. But could live with this one if I could get it at a fair price.

I plan on sending Silverstone Auctions an email letting them know that I was a prior owner and would be interested in getting the car back. They could (if they would) send my contact info to the current and he/she could get back to me if they were interested in selling. It would probably cost $4,000 to get it shipped here to Chicago. Maybe more.

I would really like to get other member’s opinions as to what GTCS cars are really worth based on equipment/condition. Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

Ruppstang

Hi Dave,
I have this car for sale http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12750
If you are looking for a top quality with no excuses this is it. I spared nothing on it when I restored it. My asking price is what I have in it not counting my time.
I however open to reasonable offers. I hate to part with it but we have two other HCS and I just do not need three.
Marty

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

Hi Dave,
I have this car for sale http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12750
If you are looking for a top quality with no excuses this is it. I spared nothing on it when I restored it. My asking price is what I have in it not counting my time.
I however open to reasonable offers. I hate to part with it but we have two other HCS and I just do not need three.
Marty
Marty,

Wow. I can't figure out how to send you an email or private message. Here is my email address il66pony@comcast.net. Please send me an email so I can reply with questions and comments.

Thanks.

Dave

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

So, I wound up buying a GTCS from a member here - joeymiami. It is being picked up by Passport Transport today. May be a week even ten days until it gets here. Can't wait!

Attachments

• Hemmings 10.jpg
    Hemmings 10.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Hemmings 1.jpg
    Hemmings 1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Hemmings 2.jpg
    Hemmings 2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Hemmings 6.jpg
    Hemmings 6.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Hemmings 11.jpg
    Hemmings 11.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Hemmings 20.jpg
    Hemmings 20.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 22

68gulfstream

Fantastic car, just about the nicest condition one I have seen in a while.

Passport was who I used as well, found the service to be very solid and timely.

Mosesatm

I'm normally not a gold fan, but that car may change my mind!:icon_ecst

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

I'm normally not a gold fan, but that car may change my mind!:icon_ecst
The Sunlit Gold color held it back a little for me initially as I loved my red one with saddle interior that I had. But it grew on me and I thought it looked good with the blacked out hood and black GTCS stripes. The seller said it pops pretty nice in the sunshine.

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

Fantastic car, just about the nicest condition one I have seen in a while.

Passport was who I used as well, found the service to be very solid and timely.
The diver called me shortly after pick-up in Homestead, Fla this morning. Asked me if I would be around Sunday to take delivery. I said, sure thing. That could change by a day or two if all of a sudden they tell him he has another pick-up sort of along the way. Evidently he has a load of cars to pick up in the Chicago area early next week to take them to Scottsdale. Just glad I got in before the Scottsdale rush.

robert campbell

Dave,
Could you post the VIN number? This is a very early car with recessed reflectors. The build date would also be helpful!

Rob

OP
OP
1968Cally

1968Cally

The VIN is 8R01J140036 Build date was 2/8/68 Marti Report Attached. So, not too early. It is already in the Registry here from the PO. My prior one is still out there from when I put it there.

Attachments

• Hemmings 30.jpg
    Hemmings 30.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 24