CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 06/05/2017, 08:43 AM   #1
Steven209

Power Steering

Hello All,

Looking at installing power steering. I have been tossing the idea of rack and pinion and or power assist? Any thoughts or any other viable options
Steven209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2017, 09:21 AM   #2
Mosesatm

If the car has an automatic transmission I recommend the Borgeson system.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2017, 09:26 AM   #3
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I'm a curmudgeon. I prefer the original type P/S system. (I think Rob has one he would sell.)

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2017, 10:21 AM   #4
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
I agree Neil. I'm one of those guys who prefer the car to be what it was, right down to the non-power drum brakes if that's what it was born with.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2017, 10:58 AM   #5
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I am a tasteful (maybe not) modifier!! I think the benefits of a rack and pinion are more for bar talk than actual performance. The outlier would be a serious road racer.

That said I have installed a few Borgeson conversions and love them for their simplicity of the system. They do not need a ram and control valve and the associated hoses that are required to support them. Two hoses that run from the pump to the steering box that are static and do not need to move like the lower Ford system hoses must do.

The Bergeson system recommends a GM pump which could be a non-starter for you. But I have ran one system with a Ford pump and it was ok. Arlie is spot on if you have a manual tranny. The clutch Z bar will need to be modified.

I have a rebuilt Ford steering box and can access a pump and brackets if you want them.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2017, 08:41 AM   #6
Steven209

its an automatic. I actually bought Renee's mustang from her and the wife wants power steering. Thank you guys for the info
Old 06/07/2017, 08:56 AM   #7
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Steve,
That car deserves to more stock than modified. I think I would go with the original Ford system on her, unless you really like to corner hard! I do have access to an original pump, brackets, and a 1967 PS steering box that is freshly rebuilt. I rebuild them.

Rob
Old 06/12/2017, 08:50 AM   #8
Steven209

Hello Rob

Can you send me a the price for your power steering kit? 209-652-5322
Old 06/12/2017, 09:18 AM   #9
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I will need to round up the parts. Steering box is very heavy and will cost a bit to ship. I have some of the large parts, but you may need some small items to complete. I do not have the control valve, but may be able to come up with a rebuildable one. Where are you located?

Rob
Old 06/14/2017, 02:48 PM   #10
Steven209

located in Modesto, Ca
Old 06/19/2017, 09:28 AM   #11
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Steven,
At the same time I posted this the local president of the Mustang club I founded (Kitsap Mustang) is doing the same conversion. Sorry to say that I am going to help him out with the parts. also I am sorry to get you hopes up on my parts.

Here is a link to the Borgeson system. I have installed a bunch of these systems on old fords and have been pleased with the results. I would submit that this system is far more affordable than piecing a stock system together with new parts from a supplier.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b.../model/mustang

We need to see if you have the proper crankshaft pulley with a separate shive for the power steering belt. This system is superior to the stock system in tightness and road feel in my opinion. And it has less hoses to leak and sometimes fail completely. Downside is the GM style pump. I have heard of people using a stock ford power steering pump, but they do no generate as much pressure as the GM pump that is required to operate a steering box of the Borgeson style. But it could be tired. Borgeson sells a kit without the pump if you wish to try this. And if does not you can buy the pump separately.

If you go stock I still have some of the brackets and such available for your conversion. I will not have a steering box.

Rob
Old 06/19/2017, 09:52 AM   #12
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Rob;
Will an original/stock 3 groove pulley (A/C, Alt, P/S) work with the Borgenson kit?

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 03:06 PM   #13
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I am pretty sure. Is the A/C shive the most forward of the three? If so I am sure it will work. Steven may have a 2 shive pulley already. I think I have the pump and all the brackets. Wow, I just priced a steering box for the 1966 I am working on..... $550 buckalero's!!

Rob

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions