CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 10/21/2016, 02:53 PM   #16
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
The Eagle has landed!! Headers are next. She fills up the engine compartment for sure! She is also very tall. Good thing I have a Boss 429 hood scoop and already a large hole under it!

Rob

robert campbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2016, 02:57 PM   #17
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Do the shock towers have reinforcement/doublers for the torque?

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2016, 07:10 PM   #18
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
This Mustang was an original 390 GTA car. So it has the shock towers welded and will receive sub-frame connectors. Who knows, maybe a roll cage is in its future...

Rob
Old 11/01/2016, 12:03 PM   #19
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
The pulley, alternator, and power steering pump spacing took some money and finesse. Stan Johnson at Ford Powertrain Applications is a wealth of information on what is out there on these new crate engines. Machinist is spinning new spacers for the PS pump this week. Pulleys are Ford Racing, brackets are CVF Racing, and a .909 crank spacer was sourced from Ford Racing also. These crate motors look the same on the front, but there are subtle differences.

Headers are still a week away. These headers are the first of their kind to fit a high port Ford "Z" head on a 9.5 deck into a vintage Mustang. Anyone attempting this conversion is welcome to ask me questions on what I ran into. Here is a link to Stan Johnson's website. He specializes in headers for Ford applications. They are top dollar quality and tuck up high under the car to provide max ground clearance. Check out his site!

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers2.htm

Old 11/01/2016, 01:22 PM   #20
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Is that a Chrysler power steering pump?

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2016, 11:05 PM   #21
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Nope..... Government Motors!!! Yuk.....

Rob
Old 11/02/2016, 09:53 AM   #22
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
On the subject of headers for vintage Mustangs, take a gander at Stan Johnsons new headers for a Coyote swap into a vintage Mustang! 1 3/4" into 1 7/8" 3" V-Band collectors for 65-73 Mustang/ 60-70 Falcon and 62-70 Fairlane with Rod and Custom Front suspension and others. They will be available 12/01/16 for those guys who have deep pockets and highly modified Fords!!

Old 11/02/2016, 10:32 AM   #23
Mosesatm

You're having way too much fun.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2016, 11:48 AM   #24
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Arlie,
YES I am!!! Hope to light her off next week!!! My condescending friend updated his nick name for me to "uber" block bob. But I still love him!!

Triple B
Old 11/02/2016, 02:05 PM   #25
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
More progress. Fuel and electrical done. Motor has been ran for 20 minutes at the factory. Been running the oil pump to ensure we be lubed!! Hope to start next week.

Old 11/06/2016, 04:59 PM   #26
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Radiator and fan installed.* Fun stuff with the lower radiator hose, but got through it.* Left side exit water pump on these crate motors.* Found a 1970 351/302 Windsor hose that worked.

This engine conversion provides me a simple engine.* No electric fans, no power adders, no sensors, no computers, and a single four barrel to tune after my days of 48 IDA Weber fun!* Simple and brutal, naturally aspirated for now!* Only comfort is power brakes and power steering.

Headers and power steering pump spacers next week.* That and a driveline will complete the package!* Other than spark plugs and wires.

Rob

Old 11/09/2016, 05:59 PM   #27
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Check out these beauties!* 1 and 5/8 to 1 3/4 diameter step headers from Ford Powertrain Applications for the Ford "Z" high port heads, Boss 351 based 460 CI. crate motor.* Max ground clearance and a prototype for my 1967 Mustang.* Where else can you find a supplier that is willing to build specific headers for the new configurations of these new motors for vintage Mustangs?* Highest quality and best fit!* Stan Johnson is a niche builder of vintage Ford headers.* Check out his site and get quality stuff for your specific build.* These headers are for my application, but they will fit many others.* Stan bleeds Ford blue and don't ask him for other brands.* He has his hands full keeping us Ford owners happy!* There are very few custom builders these days, and he has a full line of proven applications for many Ford engine swaps and applications.* This header should show up soon on his site for others to use.* I will post pictures of them installed soon.* I get nothing from promoting this good friend of mine other than the satisfaction of hooking up other Ford owners to the best in header design for their vintage Ford.

Rob

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers2.htm

Old 11/11/2016, 10:40 AM   #28
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Check out the ground clearance and the fit.* AWESOME fit of another set of Ford Powertrain Applications headers.* Mega ground ground clearance, will fit Borgeson or Stock ford power steering, and will fit a 4peed with hydraulic clutch linkage or and automatic.* Huge area for the starter.* Quality is awesome.

Old 11/11/2016, 02:44 PM   #29
clubpro

Cool

Wow Rob that is sweet. I look forward to seeing more progress as it happens.

Cheers,

Ron

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do." - Henry Ford
clubpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2016, 04:31 PM   #30
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Triple B's garage erupts in noise! The beast lives!!! This thing is way nasty and I can't wait to put it through some paces!!!

Turn up the speakers!!

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYu0...ature=youtu.be

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions