CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/12/2016, 04:45 PM   #1
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Windshield woes

I'm not happy with the windshield on my green CS: miniscule pock marks that look like prior damage (sand, stones, etc.) that don't polish out. NPD advertises two Carlite windshields, one with a blue tint along the top , and one 'tinted'. The difference is several hundred $$$. Its been 25/30 years since I replaced a windshield. Which is the best way to go?
Also, who makes the best quality windshield seal?

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	20531  
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Ruppstang

My Garage
Neil you can buy the new black label Carlite with the top tint band at most any local glass shop for around $120. If you want a more correct white script Carlite label with a date code call PS Auto Glass in Janesville WI. Be prepared to pay around $275 plus shipping. Clear glass is hard to find and more expensive.
I like to use the Daniel Carpenter seals, you also will need a tube of 3M 8509 glazing and bedding. I assume that you know how pull them in using a cord.
Hope this helps Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2016, 05:33 PM   #3
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Hmm... that is odd. I had a decent stone chip (filled prior to polishing) and some very large scratches polished out (professionally). I was amazed at how well the glass came back.

Can't say on the NPD Carlite. But I have found the Carpenter seals to be OK. One thing to look at is sizing the seal to the glass, I found some repro glass is far thinner than OEM and the seals don't fit right. But local Australian glass so not a match to what you would find in the US.

As for install, I put some 3M in the seal gap where the window goes before applying. I also put a small bead of sealant down in the opening under each clip before installing them, about a 3/16" bead 1" long or so to seal the base of the clip, as that seems a common leak point. Install the glass/seal into the opening dry (except for the clips) then seal from the outside using a fine tip, squeezing a ton of selant into the gap. No goo on the inside that way.

Last edited by dalorzo_f; 04/13/2016 at 12:10 AM..
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2016, 09:47 PM   #4
mbsf1970

Dream car: '68 GTCS Pres Blue

Neil,
Hard to believe (at least it was to me) but I replaced the Original windshield in Doug last year.....I used the blue strip tinted Carlite windshield. I am well pleased with it. Best of luck with your choice,
Stephen
mbsf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2016, 10:13 PM   #5
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Thanks. Its been a few mango seasons since I replaced a windshield (1980+/-). Marty & Richard's info managed to update me as what is currently in use, so I'll get everything ordered.

Neil
Old 04/14/2016, 09:20 AM   #6
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Dad,
One thing nice about replacing the windshield is there is no need to be nice to the old gasket. I carefully cut mine out so as not to damage any of the little prongs for the wind shield trim.

My GNS had the worst windshield I have ever seen. It was "sandblasted" over the years and nearly impossible to see out of at night in the rain. I had a new carlight installed in 1989 when the car was painted and I put the new vinyl top on.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2016, 07:07 AM   #7
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I found the correct Carlite windshield @ Mustangs Unlimited in Atlanta. Going to pick up tomorrow (and save $200 shipping cost). They also have the Daniel Carpenter seal and 3M sealant.

Neil

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions