CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/05/2011, 12:25 PM   #1
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
HELP. Need A/C control switch

Found out why the A/C won't work: the A/C Control Switch (p. 19-3 in the Shop Manual Schematics), mounted on the center A/C Register housing is kaput. The terminals have broken off, rendering the switch non-functional. Its vacuum operated, sending 12V to the evaporator 'ice sensor', and then the power goes to the compressor clutch.
I'm sure its particular to the '67 & '68 factory A/C cars, hence not listed in any of the Mustang parts supplier catalogs.
Anyone got one laying around?

Neil

I added a couple photos, looking into the dash through the instrument cluster opening. You can see one of the green wires where it attaches to the switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green GTCS 016.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	13946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green GTCS 017.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	13947  

Last edited by franklinair; 09/05/2011 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Added photos
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2011, 02:10 PM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Neil, I'll check the local Mustang parts yard in the next few days, if Scott doesn't come up with something sooner.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2011, 01:12 AM   #3
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Easily repairable if a replacement can't be found and if, like me, you like doing these odd jobs.

Did the wire break at the connector or the connector come off the switch?

If #1. crimp a new connector to the line, done. Unless its too short, then splice a extension in. You can then solder the spade connector instead of crimp. Or pull the swith and wire and repair.

#2. Pull the swith, pry open the case (two little tabs), solder up a new connection or press fit a new one on. If the tab is gone can probably find a similar one at an electric shop and crimp/press it on.

Those switches gum up, easy to repair. if you have to pull it to fix, pry up the two or three tabs holding the top on, clean and lube, recrimp.

Here's what the exploded view looks like...

dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2011, 05:27 AM   #4
Ruppstang

My Garage
Dalorzo you are right they are easy to fix unless some of the parts are burned or missing. Neil I think I have one if you need it. PM me if so. Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2011, 12:38 PM   #5
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
A fellow Mustanger on the East coast has the switch that I need, and is sending it to me. In the meantime I'm sanitizing & refurbishing everything in & under the dash. And then I'll re-paint the metal portion of the dash back to its original Nugget Gold.
A work in progress...

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions