CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/29/2006, 09:38 PM   #1
Larry T

Exclamation Hello All --- I have lots of questions

Hello, I am new to the California Special Mustang and i have lots of questions. First is a Manual transmission really that rare? As i am looking at getting a car but all the ones that i have seen are all automatics. Second i have read most of the posts but most cars have the GT/CS decal on the side scoops but in another thread it was stated that only certain cars can have the GT option. What makes up a GT options? Also what was the horse power rating of the different engines that were available? I do not know much about the 1968 mustangs so what options were standard and options? And if the 289 was not the Hi-Po version available in the car, has anyone done the Hi-Po changes to theirs? And are they the same as the Hertz Shelby? Also is this car http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160066411636
a fair price, it seems a little high considering that it is not the original color and it seems very lean on the options. Please let me know what you think. Thanks all in advance for answering my questions.
Larry T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2006, 02:40 AM   #2
davidathans
My Car Details

Best e.t. : 11.042, Fastest speed: 124.08, Best 60' : 1.615, 0 to 100 in 6.98

This is a car that i have seen in person, i was impressed. Refer to this forum url

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...-pictures.html

it was sold by the guy who owned it when i saw it to this guy.
davidathans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2006, 06:30 AM   #3
Mosesatm

I'll take a shot at a few of the questions.

First is a Manual transmission really that rare? As i am looking at getting a car but all the ones that i have seen are all automatics.
Manual transmission cars are fairly rare. Maybe Paul will have those numbers in his new book.

Second i have read most of the posts but most cars have the GT/CS decal on the side scoops but in another thread it was stated that only certain cars can have the GT option. What makes up a GT options?
All California Specials have the GT/CS emblems but very few of them are true GTs. 6-cylinder and 289 cars cannot be GTs but any other engine size could be. Here is a list of GT items.Original factory GT package:

Heavy Duty Suspension
Stiffer front and rear springs
Larger front and rear shock absorbers
Larger diameter front stabilizer
Dual exhausts with chrome "quad" outlets
GT "C" stripes - Not on a GT/CS
GT pop-open gas cap
GT fender badges - Not on a GT/CS
F70-14 wide oval WSW tires
Round Fog Lamps - Not on a GT/CS
J-code 4V premium fuel 302.
Chromed Styled Steel wheels with GT hub caps.
I think the only way to be sure that a car is a GT is to order a Marti report.

Also what was the horse power rating of the different engines that were available? Someone else have these?

I do not know much about the 1968 mustangs so what options were standard and options? This will take some time. Is there a particular item you're interested in?

And if the 289 was not the Hi-Po version available in the car, has anyone done the Hi-Po changes to theirs? And are they the same as the Hertz Shelby? The 289 Hi-Po was replaced in 1968 with the 302 4V (J-code). It is the same engine that is used in the '68 Shelby GT350.

Hope this helps

Arlie
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2006, 08:02 PM   #4
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm

Also what was the horse power rating of the different engines that were available? Someone else have these?

Arlie
200 six-----120hp
289 2v-----195hp
302 4v-----230hp
390 2v-----280hp
390 4v-----325hp
428 4v-----335hp (does anyone actually believe Ford told the truth?)

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2006, 12:34 AM   #5
mca

A sobering observation

As for the 428 - no most don't believe that, most believe it was more - but it was not - it was probably LESS. It is one of the fairy tales that people want to continue to promulgate and believe. Muscle Car Review magazine wanted to find out just exactly what was hype and what was not about various musclecars. A factory original stock 1967 Shelby GT-500 with a dual quad 428 P.I. pushed a whopping 210 or so horsepower at the rear wheels. So on a good day the 428 might push 335 hp at the crankshaft. The whole ploy of the 428 was - obviously - a marketing success, and the fantasy continues to this day. Another fallacy - that engines were lame after the horsepower "reductions" in 1972 - WRONG, they just started measuring it at the rear wheels of a fully optioned loaded car with all the accessories running. Sure, they detuned them a bit and strapped on smog equipment, but the actual changes were minimal.
mca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2006, 02:57 AM   #6
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by mca
As for the 428 - no most don't believe that, most believe it was more - but it was not - it was probably LESS. It is one of the fairy tales that people want to continue to promulgate and believe. Muscle Car Review magazine wanted to find out just exactly what was hype and what was not about various musclecars. A factory original stock 1967 Shelby GT-500 with a dual quad 428 P.I. pushed a whopping 210 or so horsepower at the rear wheels. So on a good day the 428 might push 335 hp at the crankshaft. The whole ploy of the 428 was - obviously - a marketing success, and the fantasy continues to this day. Another fallacy - that engines were lame after the horsepower "reductions" in 1972 - WRONG, they just started measuring it at the rear wheels of a fully optioned loaded car with all the accessories running. Sure, they detuned them a bit and strapped on smog equipment, but the actual changes were minimal.
Well all of that may be true, but I must say if so: I'll stick with the "mythical" horsepower ratings. After all, it is published...

Moreover; a vintage Mustang be it 428 or well done small block is as every bit exhilerating (accellerating;-) as the best of them with class and nostalgia t'boot! I'm sure most of us are guilty of youthful postulating of "horsepower, cam sizes, high rises on & on... but when you hit the road - our late '60s technology is not all that far behind in performing pleasure compared to today's "computer compensated" supercars.

I've read published HP figures on the 428 from 335 to 400. Whatever figure I may bragg is in material. I do know that when I push the pedal on my 428 (Mach), all living hell breaks loose in a tire-squeeling smoke-gushing spectacle that could justify me saying it was 600HP! ;-)

...I do know what you're saying MCA... I just don't think it really matters.

P.S. As I remember; the post 1973 (carburated) cars were indeed noticable "dogs" compared to the older. Does anyone have 0-60 or 1/4 mile stats comparing say; 1969 302 4v Mustang to a Mustang II w/ same engine??

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2006, 10:12 AM   #7
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special

P.S. As I remember; the post 1973 (carburated) cars were indeed noticable "dogs" compared to the older. Does anyone have 0-60 or 1/4 mile stats comparing say; 1969 302 4v Mustang to a Mustang II w/ same engine??
This is the best I could find on short notice.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2006, 05:49 PM   #8
Larry T

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm
I'll take a shot at a few of the questions.

First is a Manual transmission really that rare? As i am looking at getting a car but all the ones that i have seen are all automatics.
Manual transmission cars are fairly rare. Maybe Paul will have those numbers in his new book.

Second i have read most of the posts but most cars have the GT/CS decal on the side scoops but in another thread it was stated that only certain cars can have the GT option. What makes up a GT options?
All California Specials have the GT/CS emblems but very few of them are true GTs. 6-cylinder and 289 cars cannot be GTs but any other engine size could be. Here is a list of GT items.Original factory GT package:

Heavy Duty Suspension
Stiffer front and rear springs
Larger front and rear shock absorbers
Larger diameter front stabilizer
Dual exhausts with chrome "quad" outlets
GT "C" stripes - Not on a GT/CS
GT pop-open gas cap
GT fender badges - Not on a GT/CS
F70-14 wide oval WSW tires
Round Fog Lamps - Not on a GT/CS
J-code 4V premium fuel 302.
Chromed Styled Steel wheels with GT hub caps.
I think the only way to be sure that a car is a GT is to order a Marti report.

I do not know much about the 1968 mustangs so what options were standard and options? This will take some time. Is there a particular item you're interested in?

And if the 289 was not the Hi-Po version available in the car, has anyone done the Hi-Po changes to theirs? And are they the same as the Hertz Shelby? The 289 Hi-Po was replaced in 1968 with the 302 4V (J-code). It is the same engine that is used in the '68 Shelby GT350.

Hope this helps

Arlie

Thanks so much Arlie, here is a few more does the fender badges on the front quarter panels under the strips that say "mustang" mean anything i see that some GT/CS have that emblem and some do not. Also what colors were the most popular ones for the GT/CS? And for those of you that own them what is the performance like in comparison to non CS mustangs? Also what option packages were available besides the GT? I know that i am asking alot of questions but i want to make sure when i get one that i get exactly what i am looking for.

Thanks to all for your help --- Larry T.
Larry T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2006, 07:20 PM   #9
Mosesatm

Thanks so much Arlie, here is a few more

Does the fender badges on the front quarter panels under the strips that say "mustang" mean anything i see that some GT/CS have that emblem and some do not. There should be no running horse emblem.

Also what colors were the most popular ones for the GT/CS? Paul Newitt will probably have that info in his new book.

What is the performance like in comparison to non CS mustangs? The GT/CS is a regular mustang as far as mechanicals go. The GT/CS package was cosmetics only.

Also what option packages were available besides the GT?

Here are the options I know of. There may be others.
Interior Decor Group - Includes Door lights in grilles, ceiling console, woodgrain dash, deluxe door panels, seat buttons, woodgrain steering wheel, pedal accents, clock, vinyl shifter

Disc Brakes

Air Conditioning
Radial Tires
Comfortweave Seats
Headrests
Deluxe Seat Belts
Wheel Lip Moldings
Heavy Duty Battery
Tinted Glass
Two-Tone Hood
Remote Mirror
Styled Steel Wheels
Lower Console
Cruise Control
Tilt Steering
Automatic Transmission
4-Speed Transmission
Posi Rear End
Vinyl Top
Am/FM Stereo with Door Speakers
8-Track Tape Deck with Door Speakers
Bench Front Seat
Tachometer
Wide Oval Tires
Convenience Group - 4 warning lights

I know that i am asking alot of questions but i want to make sure when i get one that i get exactly what i am looking for.

Thanks to all for your help --- Larry T.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions