CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/28/2006, 04:06 PM   #1
6t8-390gt

Winter Projects

Last year I ask everyone what their winter project was, the threat went pretty well. So, what is your winter project?

As I announced a few months ago this past summer I bought a 1968.5 Cobra Jet coupe. I have started to dismantle the car and hope to have it completley dismantled and have it on the rotissorie. The car was heavily undercoated so my goal is to get the undercoating striped and collect some needed parts.

68 S code GT Fastback, 68 J code GT Conv., 68 1/2 R code GT Coupe

6t8-390gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2006, 05:02 PM   #2
somethingspecial

My Garage
To finish Something Special

is my winter project. For the last two years I have been working on the car under a tent. Now it's to ^&^%#& cold to work on it, there for, I have decided to clear some of my unused equipment out of my shop and make room for Something Special. I realized with the car almost together, I have all kinds of room now in another shop to move the equipment. This will give me space in my heated shop to complete the restoration. Well, I'd write more, but I better get to cleaning. Ha Ha. Mike

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Moving indoors...

...to repaint one of the new diecast cars Highland Green ;-) As Mike says - Too darn cold to work on the real ones.

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2006, 05:39 PM   #4
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special
...to repaint one of the new diecast cars Highland Green ;-) As Mike says - Too darn cold to work on the real ones.
Great color choice!

How cold is it out there in California? You have any snow yet? We have had no measerable accumulation here in Minnesota this winter so far. Were supposed to get some snow on Sunday though, Woo Hoo!!!

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2006, 07:18 PM   #5
miller511
My Car Details

My Garage
Rhonda,

I think what Mike is talking about is the fierce and cold winds we've had the few days and nights. Near hurricane force (really). There were gusts of 70MPH last night over the Altamont Pass...there's a reason there are thousands of windmills planted up there.. And (for here) it really has been cold. Don't get me wrong...It's by no means Minnesota cold. But we are wussies when it comes to weather...it's not our fault. The blood thins out ;-)

-Jeff

Jeff Miller-
1968 Tahoe Turquoise GT/CS
2007 Black GT/CS Coupe
miller511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2006, 08:20 PM   #6
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

Replacing the 302 with a 347 stroker, polishing the blower, replacing the C4 with an AOD, and replacing the 2.79 open differential with a 3.50 limited slip. Also adding subframe connectors and traction bars. Probably end up having to replace a couple of tires before winter is over .

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2007, 10:08 AM   #7
joedls
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls
Replacing the 302 with a 347 stroker, polishing the blower, replacing the C4 with an AOD, and replacing the 2.79 open differential with a 3.50 limited slip. Also adding subframe connectors and traction bars. Probably end up having to replace a couple of tires before winter is over .
I just spoke to my engine builder. He's putting the heads and induction on today. Should go on the dyno tomorrow or Monday. I can't wait to get it in the car. I'll post pics of the engine as soon as I get some.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
Old 01/23/2007, 09:29 AM   #8
joedls
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls
I just spoke to my engine builder. He's putting the heads and induction on today. Should go on the dyno tomorrow or Monday. I can't wait to get it in the car. I'll post pics of the engine as soon as I get some.
The engine never got on the dyno last week because of issues that needed to be resolved with the crank spacer for the blower pulley. But I just spoke to the builder this morning and he ran a couple of warm-up pulls then ran out of gas. He said he hasn't really leaned on it yet, but it made 520 HP. He's going to get some gas and finish dyno tuning it today. When he's done he'll fax me the dyno sheet and I'll post it here. I can hardly wait.

Joe

Old 12/29/2006, 08:43 AM   #9
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller511
Rhonda,

I think what Mike is talking about is the fierce and cold winds we've had the few days and nights. Near hurricane force (really). There were gusts of 70MPH last night over the Altamont Pass...there's a reason there are thousands of windmills planted up there.. And (for here) it really has been cold. Don't get me wrong...It's by no means Minnesota cold. But we are wussies when it comes to weather...it's not our fault. The blood thins out ;-)

-Jeff
I understand. I guess I heard California and all the way up the coast was getting some nasty weather. We`ve had it perty good here, must be old El Nino.
My car is staying in the garage for the winter, I just wish I could find a battery that would hold a charge so I can start it every few weeks. I`ve had nothing but bad luck with batteries. I may have to break down and buy a new one, lol.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Old 12/29/2006, 10:39 PM   #10
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Rhonda: You might consider a trickle charger or a "Battery Tender" to keep the charge up on your battery during the Winter. These work real well and might extend the life of your batteries. Just a thought.

Steve in Missouri
1968 Candyapple Red J Code California Special
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2006, 04:27 AM   #11
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

My Garage
Great idea Steve, Thanks. I had just bought the battery I have now, second hand and it started the car fine for about 3 days in a row and then went out 2 weeks later and it was dead. Could`nt understand it cuz we`ve had really nice weather here, average 35 to 45 degrees during the day and 20 at night. The guy gave me a 30 day warranty, so I`ll just take it back. I should have been able to go out and start it cold after sitting 3 months and 15 below temps. Done it many times before.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Old 12/30/2006, 05:53 AM   #12
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I've been working 6 day weeks since last March so I'm still working on welding up extensive rust holes on a '69 Fairlane convertible. Just couldn't seem to find enough time with all the day to day stuff that always needs done to get to it much. Guess I've been lazy.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2006, 06:02 AM   #13
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash
I've been working 6 day weeks since last March so I'm still working on welding up extensive rust holes on a '69 Fairlane convertible. Just couldn't seem to find enough time with all the day to day stuff that always needs done to get to it much. Guess I've been lazy.

Steve
Steve, someone that works 6 days a week is NOT lazy! No matter what the job. Give yourself some credit. Just remember to take a little time for yourself when you can. Let loose and have a Happy New Year!!!

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Old 01/12/2007, 01:50 PM   #14
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Not much of a winter project year for us this year. We are building a Factory 5 with our brother-in-law here in KC. That is our winter project. The Stang is in good shape and ready for storage.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2007, 03:18 PM   #15
joedls
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSlim
Not much of a winter project year for us this year. We are building a Factory 5 with our brother-in-law here in KC. That is our winter project. The Stang is in good shape and ready for storage.

Paul
I gotta hand it to the man that thinks a Factory 5 car is not much of a winter project.

Joe

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions