CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 03/04/2018, 07:55 PM   #1
gtcs1

68 GTCS no 2 of the assy line

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...517833049.html

1968 GT/CS - Highland Green - C Code 289
1973 Mustang Convertible - Bright Green Gold Metallic - H Code 351-2V
gtcs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2018, 09:38 PM   #2
Ruppstang

My Garage
I would love to see some proof to the second off the assembly line claim. A Marti report would be a good start.

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2018, 09:58 PM   #3
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Wow, that is rust I have never seen before in a Mustang! It has recessed reflectors which make it an early build. Wonder how it would be verified as the number two GT/CS? Especially when so many completed Mustangs were pulled off the line and converted into GT/CS cars?

Would love to hear that story.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2018, 12:42 AM   #4
Mosesatm

Rob,
This is Janice’s GNS.

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2018, 11:51 AM   #5
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I have talked to the current owner and it is the mate to my GNS and was built two days after mine. I talked with Mike Jewel about someone inspecting it, but it never happened. this car had the same "anniversary gold" paint on it that my car did. When I talked with Janice she went on and on about how her uncle had trouble matching the paint. As you can see it is red now.

In Paul's first book, after his interview with Lee Gray, he had a time line that indicated that some anniversary gold GNS Mustangs may have been converted into GT/CS cars on the line to jump start sales in the NW.

This car deserves a look see by an astute GT/CS guy to look at the car to see if it is a converted GNS to GT/CS that has been rumored about.

My GNS had all the original GT/CS fiberglass except for the left side scoop. the correct rear wiring harness and such. This has been a mystery for many years. If an experience GT/CS guy can look at this car, it may prove to be a rare buy. And solve a mystery partially.

The number two reference may have came from my conversation with the owner. I told him this car might be one of these assembly line Mustangs pulled from the line and converted early. I told him my car was built 2 days earlier. That is where he came up with the number two thought.

Attached is a picture of the car when Janice had it in its original color.

Rob

Last edited by robert campbell; 03/05/2018 at 12:14 PM..
Old 03/05/2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Mosesatm

The vinyl top sure did a number on the roof.

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2018, 12:06 PM   #7
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
With the rooftop rust it would be a candidate for a GT/CS convertible conversion.
In years past, I did a couple '68 coupe-to-convertible mods. ('68's are candidates because of the torque boxes on both sides, unlike previous years.)

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2018, 03:12 PM   #8
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Actually the vinyl top was remove quite a few years ago. Monterey is very close to the ocean and even in a carport the salt air gets after cars with a gusto. I have looked at vintage motorcycles that were in San Francisco. They were horribly rusty.

Not sure what the total condition of this car is. To me the rust in it is very uncommon.

Rob
Old 03/05/2018, 05:35 PM   #9
mbsf1970

Dream car: '68 GTCS Pres Blue

I know that when you sell something you highlight the good and gloss over or downplay the negative but this one mad me chuckle. To suggest that the interior was in great shape and that the hard part was done is a bit much. I would respectfully suggest that the perforation in the roof due to rust "just might" be the hard part
Stephen
mbsf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2018, 09:39 PM   #10
Ruppstang

My Garage
I have what the new owner needs and it is even in Steven's favorite color!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2080-04-09 20.02.43.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	22134  

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2018, 09:57 PM   #11
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
And a vinyl top roof!! AWESOME Marti!!

Rob
Old 03/06/2018, 12:32 AM   #12
mbsf1970

Dream car: '68 GTCS Pres Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
You never know when you might need a spare roof!! Its just cash in a holding pattern!
Stephen
mbsf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2018, 08:24 PM   #13
Batgirl89

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
my favorite color too! yes, thats a savings account sitting right there!

"Interior, hardest part already done" but it has to be torn out to repair all that rust.

John and I bought a '65 mustang convert from San Francisco. It was originally purchased from Cecil Whitebone Ford Van Ness Ave. It had spent its whole life there in SF. We thought that was so special and cool, until we got it home and really started to work on the car. It was rusting from the inside out, literally. It looked ok from the outside, but once we really started digging around OMG!
Batgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2018, 09:44 AM   #14
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl89 View Post
John and I bought a '65 mustang convert from San Francisco. It was originally purchased from Cecil Whitebone Ford Van Ness Ave. It had spent its whole life there in SF. We thought that was so special and cool, until we got it home and really started to work on the car. It was rusting from the inside out, literally. It looked ok from the outside, but once we really started digging around OMG!
My GT/CS came from that dealer. It lived in Sacramento for 43 or so years before coming to BC. No rust at all thank goodness. I've been wanting to find plate frames from Cecil Whitebone Ford, but I don't think they exist.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2018, 11:19 AM   #15
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
The owner of this Mustang is going to take some close ups of the GT/CS parts on his car. Close ups of the hood locks, hood lock receptacles, the fog lights and their stanchions, the fuse block, the rear wiring harness, the side scoops the underside of the trunk lid, and the backside of the taillights.

Not sure if there is anyone in the Bay area that would be willing to look at this car closely. It may be a very rare car and answers some of the questions about how it and my old car came to be.

If you are interested, and have the first GT/CS book, on page 30 of this book their is a timeline that specifically identifies these cars may have been built.

Also this old thread that Arlie started has some interesting discussion on the early GT/CS history.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...ght=early+cars

Rob

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > Classified Ads