CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/11/2014, 12:37 AM   #1
mbsf1970

Dream car: '68 GTCS Pres Blue

Day 6-7 ... Doug severely tested!!

Been without internet so couldn't post recent trip details.

Yesterday (day 6- sat) saw me and Eric take "Doug" into San Francisco for a few hours.....we went to the piers and circled for 40 minutes for parking before giving up.
We drove down the famous Lombard street!! Yikes!! The going down was easy but the approach to get to the top of the street was sketchy!! To go down Lombard st. You must first climb the other side.....40 degrees slope and bumper to bumper cars inching forward. Lot of squealing tires as car try to roll forward from a standstill to move up street. Doug didn't squeal but came awfully close to scaring me in the overheating dep't.
We left sf on Golden Gate bridge and didn't get any photos since it was fogged in and there was too much traffic to access view point anyway.

Today, day 7 saw us drive along highway 1 (pacific Coast highway) for a couple of hours before cutting inland to hit interstate to make some miles.
The trip back inland was CRAZY!! A 40 mile stretch took 2 1/4 hours to drive since it was not much more than a paved goat trail. Brakes could be smelled as the fastest turn could be taken at 20 mph and the climbs made Doug gasp for a lower gear than 1st!
Don't get me wrong, I loved driving it for the challenge but Doug found it hard on the brakes since there was no way to take it any easier than I did!

After this insanity, we hit the interstate and piled on 300 miles before ending up in Medford Or. at 11 p.m.

Tomorrow should be an easy day with only about 300-400 miles total to do. Then a quick ferry ride to get over to Vancouver a Island where I hope to meet up with Steve Cracknell.

Stephen

Stephen
mbsf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

What highway number was the goat trail??

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2014, 08:33 AM   #3
mbsf1970

Dream car: '68 GTCS Pres Blue

Mountain View Rd just north of Point Arena Ca.
Comes out at Boonville
Check it out on google maps to see how windy it is.
Stephen
mbsf1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2014, 11:12 AM   #4
somethingspecial

My Garage
Been on that road many times. Cooked a set of brakes on my 1 ton Ford on that road. It is also open range there and almost ended up with a herd of sheep in my Trans Am convertible one night. Thank god I had good brakes on that car. LOL Back in the early 70s, saw a Yellow 69' Corvette loose control coming out of a gas station in Booneville and slam into a parked pick up truck. Hit so hard it ripped the rearend out of the truck, the Corvette didn't make it either. No one hurt.

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions