• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 California Special Script Fasteners

Russ

I'm getting ready to mount the California Special script to the rear fenders and found that I don't have the correct fasteners that hold the script in place. I had to purchase repro script and no fasteners were included. Does anyone have a source for the original "push nut" type fasteners?? Thanks, Russ

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Steve, I tried my NAPA and found fasteners in the Balkamp products, but the smallest fasteners were too large for the pins on the script! Russ

franklinair

I know of fasteners we use on aircraft that I'm sure would work. How 'original' accurate do you want/need to be? If someone can show me a sample, I'll see how close I can come.

Neil

rvrtrash

Steve, I tried my NAPA and found fasteners in the Balkamp products, but the smallest fasteners were too large for the pins on the script! Russ

Sorry Russ. I just purchased Balkamp/NAPA # 665-1949 for the emblems on my '73 Mach, tested them on a broken CS emblem I had and thought it would work. I just looked at my car and the holes in the quarter panel are to small for this part. Here's what I did with mine when I restored it a number of years ago. Probably not correct but the only thing I could come up with at the time. I bought these at Home Depot IIRC.

Steve

Attachments

• clips.jpg
    clips.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 63

somethingspecial

Sorry Russ. I just purchased Balkamp/NAPA # 665-1949 for the emblems on my '73 Mach, tested them on a broken CS emblem I had and thought it would work. I just looked at my car and the holes in the quarter panel are to small for this part. Here's what I did with mine when I restored it a number of years ago. Probably not correct but the only thing I could come up with at the time. I bought these at Home Depot IIRC.

Steve

Steve, the photo shows you chose the correct fasteners for the script. You can get them at most hardware stores. I found mine at the local Ace Hardware store here in Grass Valley. They are rather small so take the script with you so you get the correct size. If you notice the hood grills are held in place with the same clips. I have purchased new script and it came with the push in barrel locks which are incorrect. The flat push on lock nuts are correct. Mike

rvrtrash

They say it's better to be lucky than good. Thanks Mike. :grin:

Steve

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Thanks Mike, I'll go over to Ace Hardware today! I appreciate all the help. Russ

Ace had 3/32" push pin fasteners at $.30 each. They are exactly what I needed. Thanks again, Russ

Last edited: