• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Wiring Question

Tequila

I am in the process of replacing my engine wiring harness and noticed that there is a smaller plug on the harness that I am trying to figure out what it is (see circled picture, next to the headlight and signal plugs). This is on the side with the voltage regulator.

The old wiring also has this plug, however it is wired back into the engine harness (see second picture). Does anyone know what it is for? Is it for the Lucas lights? How come it is plugged back into the old harness and not in the new one? I don't see where it plugs back to the harness, if should... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a wiring diagram book, but not sure where I placed it.

Attachments

• wiring plug new.jpg
    wiring plug new.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 55
  • wiring plug old.jpeg
    wiring plug old.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 51

Ruppstang

In the first picture there should be a plug for head light, park light, marker light, horn and fog light.
In the second picture I have not seen that extra plug before but suspect that if the wires are grey that some one replaced the fog light wiring.
Marty

franklinair

Can you tell me the color code of these wires? (I have a list of all color codes, wire numbers, and circuits, but I can't seem to be able to attach it to this thread.)

Neil

PS: If anyone would like a copy, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. Its 7 or 8 pages, covers Mustangs '65 thru '73 plus Falcons & Comets.
This is not a wiring diagram. It is a list of wire numbers, color code, and the circuit application.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tequila

In the first picture there should be a plug for head light, park light, marker light, horn and fog light.
In the second picture I have not seen that extra plug before but suspect that if the wires are grey that some one replaced the fog light wiring.
Marty

Thanks Marty. The plug on the old harness and the new harness are exactly same (smaller of the 3 plugs). My car didn't have the fog lights on it when I bought it so I am also thinking previous owner messed around with the fog light wiring. What's interesting is that it looks so original (no splices or cuts). But then again, if they taped it, then it's hard to tell if original or not.

I will look up the colors tonight and try to trace where the wires are going. Years of dirt!!

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Can you tell me the color code of these wires? (I have a list of all color codes, wire numbers, and circuits, but I can't seem to be able to attach it to this thread.)

Neil

PS: If anyone would like a copy, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. Its 7 or 8 pages, covers Mustangs '65 thru '73 plus Falcons & Comets.

Thanks Neil. Appreciate it.

Ruppstang

Thanks Marty. The plug on the old harness and the new harness are exactly same (smaller of the 3 plugs). My car didn't have the fog lights on it when I bought it so I am also thinking previous owner messed around with the fog light wiring. What's interesting is that it looks so original (no splices or cuts). But then again, if they taped it, then it's hard to tell if original or not.

I will look up the colors tonight and try to trace where the wires are going. Years of dirt!!

Not all 68 front harnesses have the fog light wires, that is why I think someone may have replaced it then discovered that the fog light wiring was not there and added it. I'll bet those wires are grey.
Marty