• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Gauge Cluster

robert campbell

All,
Just modified my instrument cluster to accept 5 inch and 2 and 1/16 inch diameter gauges. These are Autometer “Phantom” series. The back photo shows the plate that is available from Larry Bush of Northwest Mustang LLC for under 50 dollars that makes this possible. Larry is the main supplier of the new LED sequential lights to Mustang retailers that many of you are using. Of note he has an improved version of those LED’s that will hit the streets soon. Better definition between the on off sequence as they move through the cycle. There are turn key cluster units from JME for about $1200.00. And Haneline makes one with engine turn instead of woodgrain, brush aluminum, or camera case. It looks icky to me.

The cluster was an easy job for me and all you needed was a hacksaw blade and a small high-speed cutting tool. And some patience. Great winter project. I wanted a tach for my planned supercharger and the factory tachs are just to slow. My 67 Mustang tach works great, but I hit the 7k rev limiter way before the tach can catch up.

All said I have about $400 dollars in all of this. Need to finish the wiring, but that will be easy. You can get black face gauges from Autometer or any supplier that has 5 inch and 2 1/16 diameter gauges. You can step up to the 2 and 5/8 diameter smaller gauges if you want to modify further. The plate from Larry is set up for that. I have all the part numbers and the fuel gauge is supposed to mate with our stock sending units. My car has the convenience group option with the low fuel light. Hope it works well with the fuel gauge. More later.

I am looking at a modification to my ashtray door to house my volt meter and boost gauge. Boost for the supercharger this winter/next spring. I am an old sheetmetal guy who never smoked. Looks like a great place for two gauges that can change back to original in a heartbeat. More later on that.

“When atmosphere is not enough…….. Boost it”!!!!

Rob

DSCN3710.jpg

DSCN3711.jpg

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Thanks! Lots of work. I was beginning to think I stepped over the "modification edge" with the people on the site. Easy to put back stock.

I love to personalize my cars! And I wanted a tach....

Check out some of our backyard critters!

DSCN2611.jpg

DSCN2152.jpg

Rob

Last edited:

joedls

I did something similar on my 65 convertible. I had to solder a ground wire on each of the sockets for the turn signal bulbs, because the originals grounded to the housing and the new backing is now plastic. But once I soldered a ground wire it worked fine.

nates68

Robert, I Did This A While Back Also Same Gauges,got My Back Plate At Must Plus 35.00 Bucks. You Can Save Alot Of Money Doing It Your Self. They Look And Work So Good.

Nates68

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Joe/Nate,
You have both been there!! Grounds for the turn signals and the high beam bulb. Lots of cutting and fitting. Can't wait to see them lit and working!! Well worth the work!

Rob

joedls

Here's a couple of pics of how mine turned out.

Attachments

• cluster.JPG
    cluster.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 34
  • cluster in dash.JPG
    cluster in dash.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Joe,
First pic with the red tint gave me pause. But seeing it in the dash with the red pad and white dash!!!! Looks great!! Way cool car and you are a horsepower nut like me. I have a licese plate frame inspired by a NASCAR announcer on my 67 Fastback. "Here Chevy Chevy Chevy"!!!!

Not sure what the GT/CS will get after I tune the Paxton/Novi in. I have been looking at those new Edlebrock fuel injections. A Paxton feeding one of those would be cool and easier to tune with more driveability. Sure Rob just another 3 grand and you can have one of those.... Might have to do this in stages....

Rob

Last edited:

joedls

Joe,
First pic with the red tint gave me pause. But seeing it in the dash with the red pad and white dash!!!! Looks great!! Way cool car and you are a horsepower nut like me. I have a licese plate frame inspired by a NASCAR announcer on my 677 Fastback. "Here Chevy Chevy Chevy"!!!!

Not sure what the GT/CS will get after I tune the Paxton/Novi in. I have been looking at those new Edlebrock fuel injections. A Paxton feeding one of those would be cool and easier to tune with more driveability. Sure Rob just another 3 grand and you can have one of those.... Might have to do this in stages....

Rob

It gave me pause at first, too. I first tried it out on an old glove box door I had laying around. I put that on and drove around for about a week before I decided I liked it and did the gauge cluster. But since I had it out, I figured I'd go ahead and change all the gauges to save myself the added work (my justification anyway).

I've been thinking about an EFI system for my 68 as well. I haven't decided yet, though.

BTW, that convertible is no slouch. The engine dynoed at 419 HP & 437 lbs-ft of torque. I have a slip yoke in my garage that I'm going to make into a trophy sometime. The car actually twisted it. When you look inside it, it looks like a rifle barrel. I kept going through rear u-joints, so after about the 3rd one, I decided to replace the pinion yoke with a beefier one that would give more support to the u-joint. But that required cutting down the driveshaft. So off it goes to the driveline shop. I get a call from the driveline shop, telling me I should come look at this slip yoke. needless to say, it's been replaced with a billet piece that is much stronger. No more u-joint problems.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

All,
Check it out! Gauges are in and I love them!!! White car with white face gauges!! Bit of work, but well worth the effort. Soon I will show you some "ash tray" pods for two more gauges. I think they will look great and easy to turn back to stock if need be. One for volts and one for boost!

Rob

DSCN3813.jpg

DSCN3815.jpg