• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Roof Insulation in Mustang

Mustanglvr

What was used for insulation between the metal roof and vinyl headliner on a 68 Mustang? Any asbestos?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Ha ha, so I take it was a dumb question? Sorry, my headliner is off and there is this brown insulation like residue. I was wondering if it was safe to remove. I don`t need anymore lung problems.:icon_dead

Stacey Enderle

insulation

Mustanglvr said:
Ha ha, so I take it was a dumb question? Sorry, my headliner is off and there is this brown insulation like residue. I was wondering if it was safe to remove. I don`t need anymore lung problems.:icon_dead

Hi Rhonda,

This may be a silly suggestion as to what it might be, shredded newspaper or paper of some sort. Same stuff used in insulating homes. If not I wonder if it's a clothlike shredded insulation. My car's got that too, but it's not brown, but more of a gray. I wonder if yours might have some rust particles in it that give it that brown to it.

Stacey

Russ

Every 1968 Mustang I have seen has fiberglass insulation glued to the roof. It is generally 3/4" thick and is cut in panels that allow the headliner bows to fit in place. No asbestos, but I would wear a dust mask. Hope this help,

Russ

Stacey Enderle

roof insulation

Russ said:
Every 1968 Mustang I have seen has fiberglass insulation glued to the roof. It is generally 3/4" thick and is cut in panels that allow the headliner bows to fit in place. No asbestos, but I would wear a dust mask. Hope this help,

Russ

Now that makes sense. Did they originally put insulation under the hood as well?

Stacey

joedls

Midnight Special said:
...No Rhonda, I think that was only used on steam engine boilers...
;-)

If this were true, I'd have to find another business. That said, I've never heard of asbestos on auto roof insulation.

J_Speegle

Midnight Special said:
...No Rhonda, I think that was only used on steam engine boilers...
;-)

And in the sound deadener that was sprayed in the wheel wells of your car

rvrtrash

Stacey Enderle said:
Now that makes sense. Did they originally put insulation under the hood as well?

Stacey

Not in a Mustang. Some of the bigger Fords (like my XL Convertible) have it but I've never seen any Mustangs, Falcons, etc. with it.

Steve

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

J_Speegle said:
And in the sound deadener that was sprayed in the wheel wells of your car

So Jeff, you are saying there was asbestos in the wheel wells?

J_Speegle

Mustanglvr said:
So Jeff, you are saying there was asbestos in the wheel wells?

Believe that there was asbestos added to the mixture to improve insulation qualities. If you notice if exposed to heavy sun light for a long time it will often turn a white color from the original blackish color. No big surprise given the period when the acr were assemblied

"Originally Posted by Stacey Enderle
Stacey"

Not on 68 Mustangs. In 69 Ford started installing them on some models like the Grande.