• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS Big Block on e-bay

classicsguy

There is a 1968 GT/CS Big Block 390 on e-bay. Although the owner does not say it in ad it looks to me that is a real California Special. The pictures are dark but it has all the components. I believe the owner does not know what he has since he does not say anything about being a C. Special. He says he wants to buy a 1965 Fastback that a friend of his is selling. Anyhow take a look at this one since its loaded w/options and keep me posted of your finds. The item is: 2408483888.

I've exchanged emails with him. He doesn't mention that he knows it's a California Special, but he does believe the car is very valuable--maybe more so than it really is in it's present state. I've asked for a picture of the rusty fender apron but haven't received it yet. I think it's a true GT because it has the wood-grain inserts and such. It' fairly close to me geographically, and I'm watchin the auction with much interest!

This car looks like a car someone was asking about a month or two ago. I'm pretty sure its the same one and it is not a true GT/CS. The owner was asking about options and was trying to find more info on the CS. The message is titled "need some GT/CS advise please" on page two of the discussion board. The car is not a true CS but it is a nice 390 GT. Anyway take a look there are some extra pics on the message board.

68sunlitgold

csbp,
I don't think it is the same car in the post, that car is red and this one is maroon. It looks Ok as a CS but it does have the back panel painted the wrong color and it looks like the Marchal lights are mounted on the grille panel not the grille directly. Again about the only way to be 100% sure is do a Marti Auto Works report.
Doug

68sunlitgold

Hey guys you are right!! I looked at the plates and they are the same on both 182 POE from WA. Good eye everyone.
Doug

ALL 68 GTs had 8 Grand Tachs.....this car has a 6 Grand Tach.. Wrong
Guy Ramsey - President of the 1968gt390Mustang World Registry :p

sportyworty

This car is a real GT car although it came with a standard interior. Possibly when it was converted to deluxe interior the tachs were changed. I would assume since the president of the 390GT club says all GT cars had 8000 tachs instead of 6000 this is the case. However my GT/CS 390 4 speed also has a 6000 tach it came with HD suspension. I am waiting for my elite report from Marti. I have the deluxe report on the car of conversation as I almost purchased it from the guy he bought it from.

sportyworty

Doug
Thanks again with the help with the Marchal lights. Hans is travelling to Italy for a week and on his return will send photos of the lenses he has available for the 656's hopefully he has some 653's as you suggested. Well I am disapointed to find out my GT/CS has the wrong tach being 6000 RPM. It does have the proper original hangers for dual exhaust, Non Power Disc brakes and no power steering and Marti says it was ordered with the heavy duty suspendion. I hope it is a true GT however it did not state it on the standard report. The car above did say GT but not GT/CS
Worty

68sunlitgold

worty,
let me correct myself.....after further review, I could not find what tachs where in what in 68 but I did find that in '67 the 6K tach was in everything except the 289HP and 390, so I guess if you transfer that to '68 I would say that the 8K was in 390's and 428 but I am not sure about the 302 (except the GT's as mentioned below). Sorry for the confusion.
Doug

Bluestang

My 390 4-V c-6 GT/CS came with a standard dash (no tach) My car is in registry and Marti confimed. Has my panel been switched out . I thought I had read somewhere that in auto cars that a tach was an option? Any ideas? Thanks, Kimball

68sunlitgold

Bluestang,
I did not mean to say that if you got a 390 you had a tach, it was an option in both 67 & 68, price in 68 was $54.45 and there where only 8147 optioned this way in 68 (9827 in '67). So if your Marti report did not list tach as an option, you did not have one.
Doug

x-codegtcs

My best friend's father is an ORIGINAL owner of a 68 390 GT Fastback that came stock with a 6K tach out of the dealership. He has been restoring the car over the last number of years and upgraded to an 8k tach. I remember the day he bought it and a 140MPH speedometer for $500 - he was very excited.

Anyway, probably like anything Ford, they used what was in inventory to keep the line going. So I doubt the 8K tach is a cold, hard rule.

Also, looking back at the photos of the engine compartment, the chrome air filter lid is "incorrect" as it should look like the photo that showed the cruise control in the same thread.

Also, I have a 67 GTA Fastback without the tach, with a clock confirming the above that it was an option.

Lastly, I noticed a comment on the 2.79 gears for this car. I have an X-code GT/CS which has the 2.79 gears. This was the "standard" gear for x-codes. Perhaps this car was special order (and the GT/CS was dealer optioned ;D)

Bryce