• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68 CS - make me an offer

hossboss

I've just pulled (operative word) a 68 California Special (J Code, I believe) out of the barn. It doesn't run, but after years of sitting, it fired up briefly when I hot-wired it with some fresh fuel splashed into the carb. It sounded solid and raspy, but in dire need of restoration. I don't really know much about it, but from what I can tell over the last few weeks that I've been researching it, people like you all may put a hefty value on it. Make me an offer. I'm going to get some photos posted as soon as I can figure out how to do it. P.S. I confirmed the #s match the original paint and equipment, according to Marti's Auto works. I have the Marti report. Anybody interested?

Modify:

Here is the information on the Marti Auto Works Standard Report:

8 1968
R Built at San Jose
01 Mustang Hardtop
J 302-4V
55, 420th Ford vehicle scheduled for production at San Jose
65 A Mustang Hardtop
F Gulfstream Aqua Paint, Ford #3065-A
2K Aqua Standard Bucket Seats
04D Scheduled for Build: April 4, 1968
71 Los Angeles Ordering District
5 3.00 standard axle ratio
W C-4 Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic
DEALER#: 71H448

Options:
California Special
C-4 Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic
7.35 X 14-4 Ply Rated Tires
White Sidewall Tires
Console
Power Steering
AM Radio
Tinted Glass

Actually produced on March 27, 1968 - eight days ahead of schedule.

Signed by:
Kevin Marti

68sunlitgold

hossboss,
You state it is in need of restoration, but is there any rust, how is the interior, what are the options, ie power steering, brakes, consoles, deluxe interior.
Does it have the "GT" option, the Marti report should state this? What are the colors, int/ext?
Doug

rjw

What area of the country are you located?

OP
OP
H

hossboss

I tried to post a picture, but all my pictures are bigger than 100 KB so it wouldn't work. I guess I'll have to send to interested individuals seperately.

I'm in California, where else ;D

bbeatty

Hey, that’s the same scheduled build date and actual build date as mine! ;D

CaseyE

If this mustang is still for sale I am interested in looking at it.....Where in california is it?
A picture would be nice also.

Calspecialdreamer

Where did this guy go?!?!?! He taunts us with a CS (like Pavlov's dogs) then won't answer emails or forums? Sounds like a Chevy man to me!

OP
OP
H

hossboss

[quote author=CalGTCSdreamer link=board=3;threadid=1049;start=0#msg6211 date=1097674718]
Where did this guy go?!?!?! He taunts us with a CS (like Pavlov's dogs) then won't answer emails or forums? Sounds like a Chevy man to me!

[/quote]

If I had time to reply to you all, I would have time to fix up the 68 CS. Although I'd love to respond to you all, I just don't really have the time, sorry. I still have the car and I'm willing to find it a new home. I'm going to post my phone number (707) 839-3395, please only call if you are serious about buying. First $4400.00 takes it. It's an authentic "J" code (have Marti report) in decent shape with much potential. The only modifications are plexiglass covers over the headlights. The hood and bumpers are damaged from rolling into stuff while moving around, but it's never been in an accident. Some minor rust in one door and at two locations on pannels (probably an easy fix for somebody who knows something about body work). I thought about putting on e-bay, but that seems two complicated. The car is located in northern California. It has original black license plates, emblems, etc, but they could use some reconditioning. The Lucas fog lights are attached, but one lense is cracked. The brakes, trans, and engine do not run/work. I splashed gas into the carb and hot wired it and it started for a moment and sounded like it might make an enthusiast you know what right there in their trousers. If I don't sell it by the end of the year, I'm going to roll it into the back of the barn and leave it there for my grandkids to worry about in 20 or more years from now.

Calspecialdreamer

HossBoss
Is there any way you could forward the pics to Doug and let him post them? Or could you email them to us individually? I am willing to make an offer if I could see some pictures. Thanks........

OP
OP
H

hossboss

The car will likely be sold soon to one of the lucky few who have actually expressed serious interest. It looks like it will sell below the "poor" value when in my opinion it is in pretty good condition. Considering these and other factors, I must conclude that the demand is not great and the valuation of these cars as an end product is less than all the hype might indicate. ??? This is your last chance (for this car that is).

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Congrats on the sale. Hopefully you were OK with the selling price.

Granted, the valuation stated in the price guide isn't going to fit every situation, but I don't think it's hype. You said yourself that you didn't have time to respond to people's inquiries or post photos. It takes a lot of time and effort to sell a collectors car for it's true value. If you don't have the time you're not going to get the price.