• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Engine Tag Question

BroadwayBlue

I found a few threads discussing Engine Tags but I have a specific question.

I was looking over the numbers on my 289 Automatic CS and I was trying to decode my Engine Tag (see attached).

The tag has the following information.
289 E 68 16
L20 K 236-J

I have decoded this to mean the following using Bob Mannel's book "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8's" and a few other online sources

289 = Engine Displacement
E = Assembly Plant (Windsor Ontario)
68 = Model Year
16 = Change Version (I think 16 was the highest for the 289)

L20 = Date of Manufacture, in this case November 20th (they didn't use "I" to avoid confusion with the number 1)
K = Engine Prefix Code
236-J = Engine Code

Now for my question... The date of November 20, 1967 (L20) seems early to me. I'm assuming it is 1967 since the 68 model year would have started in August of 1967 and the 1969 models would have started production in August of 1968.

I checked the VIN number on the top of the engine and it matched the car's VIN (see other attachment).
So to me this means the engine is original and my assumption is the tag most likely is as well ... maybe not a good assumption on my part.

One other thing that caught my eye is the intake manifold casting, according to Bob Mannel's book and another website mine has the casting number for a 65-67 289 4V or 302 2V model. The Intake Manifold casting on my car is C60E 9425-B. The book states this is for a 289 4V and HiPo. Mannel's book has C60E 9425-A for the 65-67 289 2V and 302 2V. The casting for 68-69 should have C8AE 9425-B
I guess it's possible the intake manifold was replaced at some point or they could have put a different one on at the factory.

My question was more about the engine tag manufacture date. Does November 67 sound too early?
The car's manufacture date is 3/21/68 and was serialized 3/7/68.

Also - my 302 4V Engine Tag seems to have a manufacture date of April. I'm having trouble seeing that one due to where it is mounted. That car was built on April 30th.

Curious to get thoughts on any of the above. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00506 crop.JPG
    DSC00506 crop.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00509 crop.jpg
    DSC00509 crop.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00513 crop.JPG
    DSC00513 crop.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00548.JPG
    DSC00548.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

case12

I did some research on engine tags and it is on a thread somewhere here. But, one thing I did learn was that Windsor engines were sitting around the Windsor factory for some time (partly due to the UAW strike). Don't know my history that well, or if 302 falls into that category. Only a thought. Casey

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

I did some research on engine tags and it is on a thread somewhere here. But, one thing I did learn was that Windsor engines were sitting around the Windsor factory for some time (partly due to the UAW strike). Don't know my history that well, or if 302 falls into that category. Only a thought. Casey

Hi Casey,

Is this the thread you mean?
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451&highlight=engine+tag

I started with that one.
I thought about the strike as a factor too so that's interesting and could explain the 4 month lag time.

The location of the tag seems to vary. My 302 is on the passenger side behind the oil disptick and my 289 is on the drivers side on top.

I have to do some more research on that just out of curiousity.

GTCSMustang

BroadwayBlue,

Does the assembly date that is stamped on the block match the engine tag?

Scott

GTCSMustang

My point being, that if the assembly date that is stamped on the engine supports the engine tag information, and since the VIN is stamped on the block, then it must be original to the car. But if the assembluy date stamped on the engine is after the tag date...you have a problem with the tag.

Scott

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

My point being, that if the assembly date that is stamped on the engine supports the engine tag information, and since the VIN is stamped on the block, then it must be original to the car. But if the assembluy date stamped on the engine is after the tag date...you have a problem with the tag.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Good point - I understand what you mean. I don't know the assembly date on the engine. I'll have to check that out. I'm not sure where the assembly date is stamped on the engine but I'm sure I can find that out. Unless someone knows off hand (hint hint...:rolleyes: )

GTCSMustang

The assembly date is stamped on the front driver side in the location shown below (just below the head, and where the head and block meet).

Scott

Attachments

• DSC00320.JPG
    DSC00320.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 45

GTCSMustang

Rich,

I'd say if the engine assemby date is 8LXX, you're in good shape. I believe you read it year, month, week or day, shift.

Scott

gtcs1

The assembly date is stamped on the front driver side in the location shown below (just below the head, and where the head and block meet).

Scott

Hey,

That's my engine in the picture. I thought I had copyright....

This one would be 3th Feb 68, 1st shift. My car has a build date of 4th april, 12 days ahead of the planned date. By the way, the VIN is also stamped in my engine block.

Hi Scott.

gtcs1

GTCSMustang

Good eye gtcs1. I was too lazy to go out to the garage and take another picture. How's the car? I miss it.

Scott

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Rich,

I'd say if the engine assemby date is 8LXX, you're in good shape. I believe you read it year, month, week or day, shift.

Scott

Hi Scott,
I assume you meant to say if it's 7LXX I'm in good shape right?

Well I checked it out tonight and sure enough it is 7L20?
I think the last code is a U. There is a chip right on that last letter of the code. (See attached picture)

From what I have read, that last character indicated who the worker was that assembled the engine. It was apparently used to know who assembled it if there were questions or problems later on.

So the 7L20U on mine indicates an engine assembly date of November 20, 1967. Which is a good thing for me since my Engine Tag also indicates an engine date of L20 (November 20th).

Add to that the fact my VIN is stamped on the engine I think I can safely assume the engine, at least the block in my car is original.
The fact that it sat around for 4 months is likely something we'll never know, could have been the strike factor. (Not sure of the months of the strike)

Now I'm perplexed about the intake manifold code (see new picture attached to the first post) but that's for another day I guess.

This was a learning experience, thanks for the help. Much like a treasure hunt but definitely with a good ending for me.
The Bob Mannel book had the information I needed just wasn't sure what it was that I needed, as always this site was a valuable resource.

Attachments

• DSC00547.JPG
    DSC00547.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 29