• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Help a sister out please, car fire

dalorzo_f

Scott, here in Australia we actually have things called "expats". People who actually travel the world and end up living in a place where they were not born. Some are called "Americans"...

It is so nice for you to explain to the ferriners how things work in a place we only hear about on the wireless... :wink:

Two Boss 9's.

One stolen stripped of parts and dumped. Clean OEM metal, clean original paint, just missing parts. Salvage title in 1976. Dry storage since.

One rusted hulk pulled from the mud last week, missing the same parts. Owner has title.

Take both to the same restoration shop. Restore both to the same level, with the exact same parts/process. Document them fully.

Sell them. The salvage tile won't mean squat, and only an idiot would sell that one for less than the one with replaced metal.

Saying "a salvage title hurts value" is a simplistic one-size-fits-all answer. For a restored and driving/titled collectable (we're not talking a used Yugo here) it won't matter as long as the reason and restoration are disclosed.

The condition of the car and facts set the market value, not the wording on a piece of paper (to most intelligent buyers).

Last edited:

rvrtrash

I didn't mean to start a squabble, but I have to say dalorzo, that not everyone that disagrees with you is an idiot. Not every buyer is as "enlightened" as you, and personally, I use every tool I can to get the price of a car down when I'm buying one. Not original engine/tranny? That should be good for a bargaining chip. Salvage title? Sure, I know it could be something minor, but it could also mean the front end was ripped off by a freight train. If I had a chance to buy two identical cars for exactly the same price and one said "Salvage" or "Rebuilt", I'd go for the other without a second thought.

Donna, sorry your thread got hijacked by something I said. Please know that I was only trying to look out for your best interests.

Steve

cool68

I'm sorry

Really sorry to hear what has happen. I really like the way everyone has come together and shown support for Donna. I'm really glad I'm apart of this group it feels like family

Mosesatm

Donna,
I'll bet that among all of us we have enough spare parts to put your car back together!

robert campbell

Arlie is correct. Rob has a complete louver hood with all wiring and hood locks.
Looking at the picture, your hood may be savable with just some new louvers in the opening. The dash looks the worst and the main wiring harness must be addressed. It was definitely not an electrical caused fire, but gas as Tim indicated. It is centered around the carb.

I hope we can leave the salvaged vice repair vein on this thread. It is a moot point for Donna as she just wants her car repaired. Steve was just trying to make a point about the value of cars these days with the information available. Nothing more nothing less. And he volunteered to assist in the fix.

Donna, you will need a period correct carb at a minimum. The rest looks very fixable. The new ozone machines can rid a car of lots of smell. They can eliminate years of cigarette smoke!

Put fans in it like Steve suggested. Dry it out and leave in in tack. Rust in the floor pans will not be a problem. Just dry it out. Let the adjuster see it as is.

GT/CS.com will help you!!! Now if we can source that lime gold paint........ Just kidding.

Rob

franklinair

And I have the dash harness if needed (Original, in good condition), instrument bezel, dash pieces.

Neil

Mustanger

Donna,
I'm so sorry to hear of your tragedy ... it really must be hard to believe it's all happening to you ... I'm very glad to see that it looks like it's repairable, and that there's plenty of help being offered here to you ... I hope and pray that the insurance company will be cooperative and maybe you can get your Cal Special back on the road, maybe even better than before :thumb: ...

somethingspecial

air cleaner assy.

I think I have an air cleaner and S tube heat riser, it is off a J code 302, but should be the same for a 289.

Rob, She told me the car cooked for about 10 minutes until the FD arrived. My bet is the hood is toast. Mike

rvrtrash

If Mike doesn't have the air cleaner, I think I have one that would be correct, but it's missing the snorkel. I also have a pair of shock tower braces, if those were damaged.

Steve

Sarge

So sorry to hear of the loss Donna, I'm just glad no one was hurt. Once a list of what is needed is available, maybe we could post it somewhere on this board, and see if we can rummage through our parts bins and come up with as much as possible of what is needed?
I know I have several parts that I have either replaced or bought/sourced "just in case" over the years, as have probably a lot of folks here. If we all contributed what we could afford, it might make sourcing the rest of it easier.
Regards,
Robert

Mosesatm

Great idea Sarge!!!

Donna,
I have a heater case if you need it, probably lots of other stuff, too.

Sarge

Another random thought here. Maybe we could get one of our local GTCS stars out to help Donna take inventory of what is good and what is needed? Preferably someone with mechanical experience? Just throwing it out there, don't want to sign anyone up for something they aren't able to do.
Robert

robert campbell

Another random thought here. Maybe we could get one of our local GTCS stars out to help Donna take inventory of what is good and what is needed? Preferably someone with mechanical experience? Just throwing it out there, don't want to sign anyone up for something they aren't able to do.
Robert

Robert,
You are correct. An experienced Mustang restorer needs to view the damage.

rob

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

A couple of years ago the MCA made the decision to not allow any cars on the show field with out a fire extinguisher. There were some that were angered at this decision which is hard for me to understand. Fires are rare but that is little consolation when it is your car or the car next to you. For $20 you could save your car or some one else's. That is pretty cheep insurance. I would urge everyone to have one in their car. Even if it does not save the car it is better than just watching it burn.

Yes I had a fire extinguisher but in the situation I was in, if it got out of hand, then I had too much to risk. House, garage, pets, neighbors. I guess you had to be there.
When I go to some car shows with the ambulance it is required to have an extinguisher displayed at the left front of the car and I don't ever have a problem with that.
I was once told, "if you ever wonder if you should call 911...then you SHOULD". So I did.

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

I didn't mean to start a squabble, but I have to say dalorzo, that not everyone that disagrees with you is an idiot. Not every buyer is as "enlightened" as you, and personally, I use every tool I can to get the price of a car down when I'm buying one. Not original engine/tranny? That should be good for a bargaining chip. Salvage title? Sure, I know it could be something minor, but it could also mean the front end was ripped off by a freight train. If I had a chance to buy two identical cars for exactly the same price and one said "Salvage" or "Rebuilt", I'd go for the other without a second thought.

Donna, sorry your thread got hijacked by something I said. Please know that I was only trying to look out for your best interests.

Steve

Steve...it might be time for a road trip again...I can borrow a trailer. Let me know when the snow is gone!

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

If Mike doesn't have the air cleaner, I think I have one that would be correct, but it's missing the snorkel. I also have a pair of shock tower braces, if those were damaged.

Steve

Everything was pretty much fried.

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

Robert,
You are correct. An experienced Mustang restorer needs to view the damage.

rob

Yes, I have been thinking about that. I have a good friend nearby who can probably come help me with a list. He has built several Mustangs from the ground up and he knows my car too.

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

All of you have been so helpful and that is what I needed because this is just overwhelming. I'll have to inventory the parts I have stashed as well, it isn't much though. I get home from work right when it is getting dark and I work most weekends so it's hard to get out there and see exactly what I need. Hopefully this Saturday I can do it. The couple of times I did go out to the car, I cleaned out the trunk and opened the hood and just stared at it and shut it again....couldn't see very well cuz my eyes were brimming.