• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Window rollers anyone?

nfrntau

I've met my newest "beats the heck out of me, I'm stumped" crossroads in my restoration. I removed the rollers from the quarter window frames to get the frames re-chromed. Superior chrome here in Houston did a great job. Now as I'm putting the windows and frames back together I need to figure out how to re-install the rollers.
The picture from left to right.
The new rivet with the roller on it. This would then be inserted into the frame and then flared and cupped back to the frame. That's the part I can't figure out how to do. The window is raised and lowered from these rollers so it needs to be done right.
The middle is the new rivet and the right side is the original rivet I drilled out of the frame.
Any help would sure be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF5330.JPG
    DSCF5330.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 29
  • rollwer.jpg
    rollwer.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 25

Mosesatm

Bill, how about squeezing the whole assembly in a vice? You could cut the round head off a machine screw to use as a flare on the rivet, line everything up, and tighten the vice. Not sure if the vice would generate enough force but it might be worth a shot.

rvrtrash

I've always flared rivets in a press. I'd recommend taking the whole thing to a machine shop and have them do it.

Steve