• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tuning

ViCatz

I wrote this article for average mechanical skills usual tools.
Not compliucated I hope this article debunks some mythology about DuraSpark, 4300s as well as the importance of a functioning vacuum advance.
http://members.shaw.ca/ViCatz/tuning.htm
Covers Power Tuning, Vacuum guage readings, accelerator pump settings for Autolite carbs and much much more.

mechanicalguy48

Excellent article Vicatz. Shows you have a good grasp of all the carb basics and your points on vacuum advance is exactly right. A lot of pro's get that wrong.
Steve
Former Ford Development Engineer

gtcs1

Wow!. What an excellent writing on tuning. I'll keep it in print for future usage. Will be handy, since this is an area one may not deal with often, then it comes very handy with the proper steps.

May I ask for a favor. Are you able to put it in a PDF format, so I can keep it in my computer C drive. I would just like to ensure access to it in a few years.

Thanks again Vicatz

OP
OP
V

ViCatz

Hi Guys
Thanks for the comments.

The article was written in the hopes that guys with great FoMoCo products from 60s and even 70s would benefit.
I'm happy to hear that at least two guys found it beneficial.
Especially regarding vacuum adv or lack there-of and choke and carb settings.
These are easy settings to make and I hope the article makes easy sence of it for the novice or pro.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Hi Guys
Thanks for the comments.
I am not computer savvy enough to pdf this but if someone else could maybe they would post a link?
As is right now you can select "file" from drop down menus (MS OS) and select "save as"
OR you can select "Control and A" which means select all and then control C which is COPY and then paste it to a word or other document. ( control V)
The article was written in the hopes that guys with great FoMoCo products from 60s and even 70s would benefit.
I'm happy to hear that at least two guys found it beneficial.
Especially regarding vacuum adv or lack there-of and choke and carb settings.
These are easy settings to make and I hope the article makes easy sence of it for the novice or pro.

I converted it. It's 900K so it's too large to post here. Anyone that has Adobe can right click on the web-page and print (save) it to Adobe. Or, if it's OK with ViCatz I can e-mail it to anyone who wants it.