• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Console Base - Two Types

Russ

Many of you probably know there are two types of Mustang console bases, but this was a new one on me. As I was restoring the console for my GT/CS, I found that Ford apparently made two distinctive console bases. One appears to have been used in Mustangs without factory A/C, while the other fits factory A/C cars. The A/C type base is much shorter and appears to have been cut off to accommodate A/C unit, while the non-A/C console base goes much further forward toward the firewall. I tried to fit the non-A/C console into my car and it just would not fit properly. The attached photos show both types and a comparison of the two. Russ

Attachments

• Lee-Tate IV 009.jpg
    Lee-Tate IV 009.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Lee-Tate IV 007.jpg
    Lee-Tate IV 007.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Lee-Tate IV 008.jpg
    Lee-Tate IV 008.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 52

TraveledGTCS

Russ, I been told the 67 & 68 consoles are different - the 68s have padding while the 67 does not; so it looks like there is an additional difference - with or w/o AC.

If these are 68s, would you be interested in selling the non-a/c one since you stated it would not fit. And what would be the price?

I plan on upgrading mine with a center console and overhead if I can find them.

You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks,

Bill

rvrtrash

I believe they just trimmed the console if it had AC. I checked my Master Parts List and it only shows one part number for '68 (C8ZZ-65045A36).

Steve

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Steve, I believe you are right about the trimming. It is good to know that if you don't have A/C that you get the proper console base. Russ

Ruppstang

You guys are right there was only one base that was cut to fit the application. There is one more different applicataion that is the convertible base and that one was cut too. The one thing to remember is the old carpenters rule measure twice and cut once!
Marty