• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Correct dash pad or not

6cylHCS

Im in the prosses of restoring my HCS and ordered a dash pad from Laurl mountain mustang. It was made by Dashes Direct. The guy really screwed up and said it was in stock when it wasn't. He said there was two kinds of dashes on that used the ford tooling and one made by Highway. I paid for the Ford tooling one and now that ihave it Im not so sure its the right one. Are the dashes design smooth or more pronounced?

Mosesatm

The non-Ford tooling dashes are heavily grained. I think the Ford tooling dashes should not be smooth but should have a little grain to them. Almost like leather.

PFSlim

The pad is not smooth, but has texture. I have my car here at the office if I can take a pic for you or if you need something. Please let me know.

Paul

OP
OP

6cylHCS

So how can Dashes Direct call their dash pads Ford tooling if they dont look like the original.

Mosesatm

I ordered mine from Mustangs Unlimited. Here is the description of it from the MU web site.

PAD,DASH 67/68 AQUA
Aqua Dash Pad for 1967-1968 Mustang.

Has your dash cracked or turned dry and blackend with the years? This great reproduction dash pad fits as original for a rejuvenated look. Dash grain is more pronounced than original to reduce windshield reflection.

I went the cheap route but I expected the pad to be heavily grained. Is it possible you were shipped the wrong pad? I'll try to take a picture of grain on mine and post it. If yours looks like mine it sounds like you have a legitimate gripe with the supplier.

Mosesatm

Here is a picture of my new dash pad. As I hope you can see the grain is quite pronounced.

Last edited:

6t8-390gt

I do not think the Ford tooling is available for the 67-68 dash pad. Just Dashes uses original tooling for the 65, 66, and some later dash pads, but not the 67-68 pad.

I have a Just Dashes pad in my car and the pad seems stiffer and the grain more pronounced than the original dash. It is what is available...

Mosesatm

[quote author=6t8-390gt link=board=1;threadid=2317;start=0#msg16063 date=1130550887]
I do not think the Ford tooling is available for the 67-68 dash pad. Just Dashes uses original tooling for the 65, 66, and some later dash pads, but not the 67-68 pad.

I have a Just Dashes pad in my car and the pad seems stiffer and the grain more pronounced than the original dash. It is what is available...
[/quote]

I agree. It seems to have a higher plastic content while the original seems to have more rubber in it. The new ones are supposed to keep their shape better and not sag.

Mosesatm

Just checked a few Mustang supplier web sties and found that Dashes Direct has Ford tooling for every year except 67 and 68. They have 65-66, 69-70, 71-73.

They're all jealous of our cars! It's a conspiracy!!!

390cs68rcode

also, DD has in one of their ads that the Ford Tooling for 67/8 are coming sometime soon. I have bought one of the current DD dashes and they are NOT like the originals. The grain is deeper.

Mosesatm

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=2317;start=0#msg16069 date=1130588540]
also, DD has in one of their ads that the Ford Tooling for 67/8 are coming sometime soon. I have bought one of the current DD dashes and they are NOT like the originals. The grain is deeper.
[/quote]

Jason, my project for today is painting the dash and installing the dash pad. Any words of advice?

390cs68rcode

I have not painted a DD dash yet but when I bought mine it seemed very "slick". I would highly suggest using a bunch of vinyl prep before painting. they might even have some suggestions on how to prepare before painting. 3-4 thin coats should be good.

pictures when completed?

PFSlim

Arlie

Do you think that painting the dash pad will work?? To me, it seems like the dash pad would have to much flex, to much direct sun, to be painted?? I could be wrong. What color are you painting over and with what color??

Have you thought about buying a new one??

Paul

hcsstang

I was going to repaint mine also but a fellow mustanger talked me out of it. He said that they are hard to paint especially if Armol was used. I cleaned and cleaned using vinyl prep and I still got fish eyes maybe I used the wrong prep but any way I got a new one.

Mosesatm

.....painting the DASH and installing the dash pad. I need to paint the dash before I can install the dash pad over it. I'm not painting the dash pad.

PFSlim

Oh!! Well that makes since. Now I am with ya. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. :eek:

With regards to painting the dash, we painted ours. You can see by our gallery pics that our dash was in bad - bad - bad shape. We lightly sandblasted, then put on self etching primer, then several coats of interior paint. Ordered our paint from NPD. Was very satisfied with the results.

Paul

Mosesatm

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=2317;start=15#msg16119 date=1130779339]
Oh!! Well that makes since. Now I am with ya. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. :eek:

With regards to painting the dash, we painted ours. You can see by our gallery pics that our dash was in bad - bad - bad shape. We lightly sandblasted, then put on self etching primer, then several coats of interior paint. Ordered our paint from NPD. Was very satisfied with the results.

Paul
[/quote]

Paul, do you remember whether or not the paint was from Rainbow Industries? They seem to have the best shade of aqua but I don't like their nozzles. Another brand has great nozzles (almost like a paint gun) but their color is too light.

I've already painted the dash once but I made the mistake of painting in the morning, when it was cool. It seemed like the perfect time since the garage wouldn't be 130 degrees. The problem was that mornings in Houston are at the dew point so we're talking 100% humidity. The paint mixed with the water in the air and speckled the dash with water drops. Had to sand it all down and am now ready to reshoot it.

The advice I need is for the dash pad. I figured there would be only one way it could go on but when I dry fit it to the dash it became apparent that it's infinitely adjustable. I am planning on painting the dash, then installing the gauge cluster and the dash trim to make sure I get the pad in the right place. Is all that necessary or am I making this more complicated than it really is?

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2317;start=0#msg16118 date=1130778516]
.....painting the DASH and installing the dash pad. I need to paint the dash before I can install the dash pad over it. I'm not painting the dash pad.
[/quote]

i guess i missed the dash painting instead of the pad. have not had to paint just the dash yet. no tricks or anything to watch out for from what I can guess.

PFSlim

Arlie

I don't remember it being called Rainbow. It was a pretty plain can with not much on it. It is $6.75 per can. Our light blue matched great to everything we had. We ordered the paint and the dye.

With regard to installing the dash, the pad has to go on first. The pad is bolted in, then instrument cluster and other plastic dash pieces. The instrument panel and other plastic dash peices trap the pad into place. Leave the glove box door until last. I test fitted everything several times before actually installing for final fit. Make sure you put in your switches before the instrument cluster. Will be easier to gain access behind.

If I can help in any way, please let me know. It gives me withdraw symptoms to think about not putting that blasted dash back together again, and again!!

Paul

Mosesatm

Thanks Paul. It sounds like I'll need to keep the garage doors closed so I don't offend the neighbors with my polically incorrect verbiage!