• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 How do you compare?

Doug Allen

Interested in your feedback....I am looking for a nice driver for under $20k and am looking at two GT/CS cars. Even though I want to drive them still would like something that will preserve its value. I have to check out the facts if I decide to go further on either one but here is what I have.....

#1 On eBay now. Rust free solid body. Everything original except (1) color: originally a Candyapple red; new color Poppy Red. (2) Eleanor Wheels added. The engine is an original J Code 302. Engine rebuilt 30,000 miles ago so I am guessing I will spend a bit of money making sure it is mechanically sound.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars...arms=39:1|65:3|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

#2 On eBay a few weeks ago did not meet reserve. This one has again has a Rust free solid body but the good news/bad news is the original engine was trashed and he put a late model 302 in it that was totally rebuilt by Dallas Mustangs plus did everything else mechanical you could think of with the front end, back end, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...oryZ6236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Punch line if I can get each for about $17 to $18k am I better with a more original car where I have to put $3k in mechanicals or go with the rebuilt late model engine that is ready to roll.

Last edited:

DeadStang

Interested in your feedback....I am looking for a nice driver for under $20k and am looking at two GT/CS cars. Even though I want to drive them still would like something that will preserve its value. I have to check out the facts if I decide to go further on either one but here is what I have.....

#1 On eBay now. Rust free solid body. Everything original except (1) color: originally a Candyapple red; new color Poppy Red. (2) Eleanor Wheels added. The engine is an original J Code 302. Engine rebuilt 30,000 miles ago so I am guessing I will spend a bit of money making sure it is mechanically sound.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars...arms=39:1|65:3|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

#3 On eBay a few weeks ago did not meet reserve. This one has again has a Rust free solid body but the good news/bad news is the original engine was trashed and he put a late model 302 in it that was totally rebuilt by Dallas Mustangs plus did everything else mechanical you could think of with the front end, back end, etc.

Punch line if I can get each for about $17 to $18k am I better with a more original car where I have to put $3k in mechanicals or go with the rebuilt late model engine that is ready to roll.

Post the link to the second eBay CS, so it's easier to compare the two.

Midnight Special

Doug, whatever you decide to do will be fine, but I believe that the only way to insure it will be an investment would be to gather as many original, NOS and correct parts as possible over the long run. That way - when you do go to "cash in" you will be in the best possible shape. These cars are 40+ years old and many of today's pristine ones have been that route several times over.

I'm like you! 'Love to drive & get 'em out there... I don't always $pend extra for "correct" replacement parts because of wear & attrition. When the time comes for sale however, certain cars in my collection will receive that attention w/ complete history and disclosure to the buyer. Keeping excellent records will also optimize your investment!

I can see racking up your pleasure miles on the late-model engine. The market (over the X number of years) will determine whether or not to go with a date-coded engine when you sell... That's only anyone's guess right now.

Buy it, drive it, preserve it, but ultimately - restore it.

robert campbell

Doug,
Sorry I am too late. The black car sold. Of the two I would have purchased the black one. The poppy red one is very loaded and not a bad car either. Zero feedback on the seller, which makes me nervous for a scam. Poppy car needs some interior cosmetics. Looking at the pictures it also shows many paint imperfections. I bet in person it has many more. Engine compartment needs a full detail, but if it is truly a $30k mileage on the motor, that should be fine if it was maintained. The poppy car is claimed to be a show winner, but I would bet only at local small shows. It looks like a car seldom driven and not kept up the best. Basic service and that is all. The black car was very clean. He had one negative feedback, but it looked like a joke. My daily driven GT/CS looks cleaner under the hood than the red one, and it is dirty in my eye. But engine detail is cheap and you can do it yourself.

I think either car would be a great buy. Looks like the black one went for $17k. Right now would be a good time to buy. Toys will be for sale with the market this way. As to the thought of originality, I think in equal condition both cars are loaded. Black with red deluxe interior!!!! Way pretty!! The black car looked ready to go and if both cars sold for the same price, years later I doubt that the late model engine would degrade the black one any over the red one.

Rob

rvrtrash

Just an opinion, but I think if everything else was equal, the one with the original engine would be easier to sell and maybe command a slightly higher price. On some cars it's a huge difference, but not so much on ours yet. Still, it's nice to have the option.

Steve

OP
OP
D

Doug Allen

You are not too late....

...the black car did not sell. It did not meet reserve and I am currently talking to the seller.

I guess I am leaning toward the black one as it is ready to roll. Although the late model engine makes me hesitate it would be hard to duplicate for the price as long as the body is solid which he says it is.

BTW what are the typical color combinations for the decals on a black car???

robert campbell

Doug,
I would not fear the late model engine!! I am not up on stripe colors as much as some on the rest of the board. I would imagine that either red or white are the most common.

That is one nice looking car from the pics!!! Lots of new stuff and a very well optioned car! I love the red deluxe interior!!!

Rob

DeadStang

Before weighing in, I'd like to know more about the black car. What are the options? Since there is no Marti posted, is it a J code, C code, or an original 6-cylinder car? It has the deluxe interior but no console, what should it have? The radiator doesn't have the pinch clamp as it should for an A/C car, did it have A/C and are there cooling issues? Have you seen the Marti on this car?

Not to be negative (and no offense to the owner if he's here!), the poppy red is one of the uglier CSs I've seen, and the paint is probably not so good. Wheels are easily replaced, and it's not really that hard or that expensive to make a car mechanically sound--compared to the cost of a good quality paint job these days. The poppy red is a well-optioned car, with the PS and PDB (no PDB on the black?).

"insidethegrill" on eBay used to be or is associated with "lawnsofdallas," who burned some people over on VMF a few years back. I tend to try and stay away from the dealer-offered cars and prefer private sellers.

robert campbell

Stanger is correct. See if the owner will share the Marti report. He seems to say he has it. Auction says it is a "C" code car. To my knowledge, lower console is not part of the deluxe interior package. Upper console is. Still one pretty car. It is important that it is a real GT/CS, but options are easy to add. If originality to how it came down the lione is important, then be careful.

Poppy red car needs alot of cosmetics. I would almost want to see it in person if I was you to evaluate the paint. Pictures can hide alot of sin! Or see if someone on the site is near to it.

Rob

robert campbell

VIN will tell you the engine, where built, and does tell you coupe/fastback/convert. Engine size. Also, will tell you deluxe interior and whether it is bucket or bench. Not much more. Door tag will give you more, but not all options.

Auction says it is a "C" code 289.

Rob

franklinair

Uh-Uh, Rob. How does VIN depict deluxe interior, bucket or bench seats??
VIN will indicate year, assembly plant, body style, engine type, serial number of vehicle.

Neil

robert campbell

Neil,
Duh..... You are right. Only door plate code. 65A is standard. 65B is "de-lux". 65C is a bench for keepin my wife close!!! All are 01 in the VIN....

Rob

GTCS95616

It is hard figuring out what to buy. If you are buying a GT/CS as an investment, forget about driving it and buy something that is a numbers matching vehicle that you park in your garage. If you want to buy a driver that looks cool, buy what YOU think looks cool and drive the piss out of it!

OP
OP
D

Doug Allen

Thanks thanks thanks....

Appreciate all your comments.....since I want to drive it I am not going to let the late model engine slow me down. The black one really looks clean and ready to roll. I am very concerned if this guys has cheated anyone previously.

Are there any dependable services you can use to check out a car like this. I have a few friends out that way but they would just nod their head and say "cool".

My main concern is that there is not something hiding under the paint...

Thanks again,
Doug

RedGTvert

Are there any dependable services you can use to check out a car like this. I have a few friends out that way but they would just nod their head and say "cool".

My main concern is that there is not something hiding under the paint...

Thanks again,
Doug

Doug, I have used a company called Auto Appraise numerous times and have been extremely satisfied. You can contact Jason Phillips. He can be reached at 800-301-3886. He saved my butt twice with his reports, cars were not as advertised.

He can do appraisals as well, but I just used him for inspection reports and made up my own mind whether I wanted the car and what it was worth to me.

Web address is www.autoappraise.com

robert campbell

Wish I was close to this car! I would love to lok at it for you. Maybe someone on the site is close?

Rob