• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Console fixing

68sunlitgold

I thought I would share my efforts in fixing a console I intend to put in my coupe. It has parts from 3 different consoles that I cut and "welded" together with a hot iron. I think it will look OK once I paint it. The white stuff is bondo that someone prior to me used to try to fix the broken parts.

Doug

Attachments

• fixed_console_1.jpg
    fixed_console_1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 13

68gt390

Doug;
Just think of the money your saving yourself. I've seen console's in worse shape than that going for over $700.00. Looks like your on the right track. You'll have to post pics of the finished product. Once painted it should look just fine. When I redid mine in my GT Coupe I used a lot of "Super Glue".

Don ;)

PFSlim

Doug

I had to do a similar repair on my console base. I ordered it from ebay and it came cracked at the base. I mixed some fiberglass (the good stuff) and placed in behind. After it was painted and with the location of the base under the dash, you can not see it was cracked.

Nice job!!

Paul

OP
OP
68sunlitgold

68sunlitgold

Paul,
what type of paint did you use and where did you get it?

Doug

rvrtrash

Doug, I did some repairs to mine also and I got the paint from Year One. The stuff they have is color coded by year and is virtually a perfect match. Be sure to prep the plastic by washing it in super hot water to get all the old oils and stuff off first.
Steve

Mosesatm

Most automotive paint stores also sell vinyl prep. It removes all the oil-based dirt and grime and softens the plastic a little so the dye absorbs better. It is basically a mild form of wax and grease remover and works well. As good as it is for removing oil-based products it doesn't do a very good job on organics such as most food products and the grimy sweat dirt on steering wheels. To get rid of that dirt nothing works as well as Steve's suggestion of hot water, soap, and a scrub brush.

PFSlim

Doug

We got our paint from NPD. I am sure it all comes from the same place. NPD sells the regular paint and for paint for vinyl. We use the vinyl paint for console top and used the regular paint for the base. That is the same paint we used for all interior surfaces inside the car.

Paul

OP
OP
68sunlitgold

68sunlitgold

Ok, I thought I would share the pics of the console completed. I am happy with the results especially since I only paided $5 for the broken console. Now all I have to do is complete the interior since the "new" console will look out of place once installed.

Doug

Attachments

• fixed_console_4.jpg
    fixed_console_4.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 15

68gt390

Very nice job Doug. Looks brand new. Amazing how you get one item done and it takes you to the next project.

Don ;)

OP
OP
68sunlitgold

68sunlitgold

Don,
I know exactly what you mean about going from one project to the next. I just completed installing new rear window regulators and while I was doing that I installed new window stripping and repainted both rear panels. I have already started to completely disassemble my A/C parts (needed to buy a coupe replacement pieces from Classic Auto Air) so I can install that this winter. Next on the list however is the carpet and seats. I picked up a pair of '69 Mustang seats with headrest for $10 (although not original I wanted them for the safety aspect) I will get them recovered soon.
Boy I wish I had my CS with me, but I will make the most of it since I have the coupe.

Doug