• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS Highland Green 289/302

azbeneman

Very cool car. Unique color combo.

Cool Manchu - did you buy this car 4 or 5years ago outside of Chico CA? I tried to buy a car very much like this back in the day. I would bet money this is that same car.

Azbeneman

Ruppstang

Sheryl,
I had a idea this morning. Did you say the lights stay on? If so the is a system check circuit that should light all of the lights when your key is in start position. Check the starter solenoid there should be a small red wire #316 on with the starter cable, the side closest to the firewall. If it goes to the other side that is the problem. That side is hot all of the time. If you do not know post a picture of the solenoid.
Do not give up we will figure it out. If all else fails drive it out here to Nebraska and we will have some fun with it.
Marty

Mosesatm

Yes, this is the Paradise car.
Here are some photos from the original ad.

Attachments

• C150889-1.jpg
    C150889-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 31
  • C150889-7.jpg
    C150889-7.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 28
  • C150889-6.jpg
    C150889-6.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 28
  • C150889-5.jpg
    C150889-5.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 34
  • C150889-4.jpg
    C150889-4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 36
  • C150889-3.jpg
    C150889-3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 25
  • C150889-2.jpg
    C150889-2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Batgirl89

Very cool car. Unique color combo.

Cool Manchu - did you buy this car 4 or 5years ago outside of Chico CA? I tried to buy a car very much like this back in the day. I would bet money this is that same car.

Azbeneman
We want to hear your story!

Batgirl89

Sheryl,
I had a idea this morning. Did you say the lights stay on? If so the is a system check circuit that should light all of the lights when your key is in start position. Check the starter solenoid there should be a small red wire #316 on with the starter cable, the side closest to the firewall. If it goes to the other side that is the problem. That side is hot all of the time. If you do not know post a picture of the solenoid.
Do not give up we will figure it out. If all else fails drive it out here to Nebraska and we will have some fun with it.
Marty

Thank you for thinking about this!! It would be fun to come to Nebraska and work on my cars! I wish we lived closer to all you guys, but the help I get here I so appreciate, I would be lost if I was on my own!

The red wire is on hot side, starter cable is only thing on other side. so would this be the correct red wire 316? I couldn't find any identifiers on it. So I should move it to the other side? I wont blow anything up?

Attachments

• Resized_20180128_093439.jpg
    Resized_20180128_093439.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Resized_20180128_093647.jpg
    Resized_20180128_093647.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 21
  • Resized_20180128_093859.jpg
    Resized_20180128_093859.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 30

Batgirl89

Sheryl,
Marty
Marty, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
PARK light working now, its very temperamental. I took the sensor off, sanded all contact points, put it back together, it worked every 4th time. I loosened the sensor up and was moving it around and found a spot that it works every time with now (so far)

At start the PARK light is solid, then starts to blink, then turns off when I put the parking brake handle in. Im so excited!!:icon_ecst

So, BELTS and PARK working

Ok Marty, Neil, and Rob, just gotta get the door ones working. It is blinking and wont shut off. I shoved my little TRex arm in there this am and sanded the contacts. Marty I still have to check to see if they are making contact with the door shut. (I have to leave for the rest of the day today tho)
Thank you everyone!!!

Attachments

• Resized_20180128_121958.jpg
    Resized_20180128_121958.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180128_122117.jpg
    20180128_122117.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 22

Ruppstang

GREAT! It appears in you picture the solenoid is wired correctly. I think you will find that the door sensor may just need adjustment. I will also check my sources for a low fuel sender.

robert campbell

Sheryl,
My guess is West Coast Classic Cougar will rebuild one for you if you send it to them. Give them a call.

I may be able to get my hands on my old one. It went with the car when I sold the car. I replaced it with a racing fuel sending unit with 1/2 diameter tubing for increased fuel flow. So the new owner will not need it.

Rob

Batgirl89

Arlie, Thank you.
Good Stuff.
Ken spoke with the original owner, John, who still lives in Santa Clara (His glasses are still in the console cubby! no patches tho) John bought it with his money that he received from the Air Force upon returning from Vietnam. He needed a car to commute from Santa Clara to Edwards Air Force base down south. (My paperwork from the car shows that John was 21 yr old)

John said it was the show room model and that he knew it was the car he wanted the second he saw it. He truly loved the car and it pained him to part with it 26 years after he bought it...but it had 109k miles on it and needed to be rebuilt, so he let it go.But he claims that it had the dual exhaust when he bought it. He did say he changed the roof to black as it was easier to keep clean. He also said while he could have afforded a Shelby...he didn't want a Shelby, he wanted this car. John sold the car in 1994.

Sounds like it went to Paradise and was put in barn/garage. When Ken bought the car, the pink slip was still in John's name. The motor was in the trunk. (Ken put this car back on the road)

The car has 110800 now.

Last edited:

Batgirl89

GREAT! It appears in you picture the solenoid is wired correctly. I think you will find that the door sensor may just need adjustment. I will also check my sources for a low fuel sender.

The 2nd group of pictures is where I moved the red wire from left side (first group of pics) to right side. (correct now right?)

Last edited:

Batgirl89

Sheryl,
My guess is West Coast Classic Cougar will rebuild one for you if you send it to them. Give them a call.

I may be able to get my hands on my old one. It went with the car when I sold the car. I replaced it with a racing fuel sending unit with 1/2 diameter tubing for increased fuel flow. So the new owner will not need it.

Rob

Rob, I will call WCCC and let you know. Thank you!!

Ruppstang

The 2nd group of pictures is where I moved the red wire from left side (first group of pics) to right side. (correct now right?)

I did not see the first posted pictures. Yes it is right now. No wonder the lights never went off.

azbeneman

We want to hear your story!

Sheryl,

Yes, this was the car. The story I heard was the same. I spoke to the owner several times. At the time, they were firm on the price and to me it really wasn't worth it to travel up to check the car out (especially with the block in the trunk). I am CA born and raised, and had no idea where Paradise was until I came across this car:cheesy:

It is great that this car is back on the road. Drive it and enjoy it. If you want to restore it someday, then go for it.

Craig

Batgirl89

Sheryl,

Rob
Rob, WCCC does not rebuild them. Can I ? Replace filter, brass float,& sensor. Wouldn't that be it?
Sheryl

robert campbell

Do not thinks so. The low fuel level "trigger" is something more than that. Also, check the harness that goes to your current sending unit.. It has a two wire connection and is unique to a convenience group car.

Rob

Batgirl89

Do not thinks so. The low fuel level "trigger" is something more than that. Also, check the harness that goes to your current sending unit.. It has a two wire connection and is unique to a convenience group car.

Rob

I found an old thread on a cougar site. John's classic cougar rebuilds them, Ive sent him an email, waiting to hear back. WCCC sells a stainless repo model $71. but they are out of stock. When I called today, they said the units were leaking, they wont have any in stock until the manufacturing company fixes the flaw.

I did check the wiring harness, it was changed out to a single wire/connector one when tank was changed. the female/male plug in the trunk had tape on the male side. WCCC had a used harness in stock and I ordered it on saturday. (will be here on wed)

Thank you for your help on this!

Last edited:

CougarCJ