• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Clueless

apprentice

??? I recently purchased a CS and was told I should have power steering & power brakes installed... what's your take on this?

I've been trying to read your posts - but I'm totally new to this! Any help is greatly appreciated!

speedy02

What motor is in your car also auto or 3 speed, 4 speed???

OP
OP
A

apprentice

[quote author=apprentice link=board=1;threadid=958;start=0#msg5328 date=1086711333]
??? I recently purchased a CS and was told I should have power steering & power brakes installed... what's your take on this?

I've been trying to read your posts - but I'm totally new to this! Any help is greatly appreciated!
[/quote]

I'll have to find out and get back to you... here's the scenario - I purchased as a gift for my husband's 40th b-day - it's in my mom's home-town and I don't know all the details... I'll have to call the guy I bought it from and ask him... what other questions should I ask him?

I don't have to have it "ready" for a couple of years - so I'm handling the restoration from across the country.

speedy02

Get the Vin number and data plate info and decode it. So that way you know what you have even do a Marti Report and it will tell you everything about the car down to option the car had and how many they made in that color that trim, with that motor and trans combo.

rvrtrash

If it doesn't have power brakes, they're probably drum brakes. Converting to disc brakes is a bit of $ but probably worth it for safety and then you can add the power booster. Power steering is nice but not necessary and the units in these cars are famous for leaking. I've heard you can use the control valve out of a 78 Granada and it has o-rings on the fittings to solve that so if you do go to power steering, look into it. Finally, your husband is lucky to have a wife so thoughtful to buy him a CS. :) P.S. If you have any conversion work done, get all your original parts back and save them in a box somewhere.
Steve

darb

I had manual drum brakes on my car when I first purchased it, and I must admit - slowing down was a pain. If someone in front slammed on their new brakes, good luck stopping in time before you rear end them.

I did a conversion with stock 1968 front discs, and even went so far as to get a stock distribution valve to avoid any aftermarket pieces. What a difference! I REALLY recommend the discs, but as far as being power - thats personal preference. I stop fine with manuel, and its really not much of a hassle or pain.

I also have power steering...and it's a nice thing to have. Many have mentioned its prone to leaking, but I rebuilt my control valve and replaced and tightened all the hoses and haven't noticed a leak since. Although, I did drive the vehicle for awhile without the power steering pump...and well it was a challenge - one your husband may or may not be up for.

Brad

-=MUSTANG=-

Brad,

Your car was tough to steer without the power steering pump because the gearing in the box is different between power and manual. If the car was built with manual steering it will have a quicker ratio to make up for the lack of assist. This is one of the reasons steering wheels were so big back in the day, power steering was an engineers dream, a larger diameter steering wheel increases the amount of leverage you are able to apply to the steering mechanism.

I agree with putting on the front disc brakes, however I think once apprentice prices out a complete power steering system he will feel it is a luxury he can do without

rjw

I have drum brakes but I plan to one day install disc brakes. Clearly, this is an upgrade that I desire. Has anyone installed one of the aftermarket systems?
Richard

OP
OP
A

apprentice

O.K. found out - it's automatic transmission - V8 - but it used to have a V6. I got the Vin # and ordered a Marti - but don't know what a data plate is.

It's got a little rust on it - but other than that - I think it looks pretty good - I would say it falls in the "good condition" category.

For retaining value- should I try to restore to "original" or "muscle"? I would assume by reading the threads I've seen so far - original is better? Does that also apply to paint color?

hookedtrout

Well to start with they never produced them with a V6 so I would guess if it was a 6 at one time it was an inline 6. This being true the car has ventured from being original so the choices are pretty much up to you.

GT/CS cars typically will hold a lot more value if they are kept original and if a person really didn't know what the future held for their GT/CS it makes it hard to determine what should be done. I have had my GT/CS through my teenage years and during this time it was very important to me to have a car that looked hot. Factory wheels with the back end sitting lower than the front was not in style so installed air shocks and aluminum mags and wide tires. This was hot in my day. Today it's large diameter wheels and low profile tires. Now that I'm in my 40's and still have the car I'm really glad I didn't make any major changes that couldn't be reversed, I can put the original wheels back on which I still have and the car is back to original. Should I ever sell the car this will make the car more desireable to those with the money to spend on a classic. As far as paint, original is always better for originality and resale but the choice is yours. If you plan on keeping the car and the original color makes you ill I would certainly paint it a color that appeals to you. Color can be changed back, the difficulty in changing colors would depend on the color change. If you took a green car and changed it to red you would have to repaint the interior as well and that isn't as easy to change or change back.

Lots of choices and they all ultimately reside with you and what makes you happy, as you have probably read here before we simply recommend not changing anything that can't be changed back and save any original parts that you take off so you have them in the future so when you reach some ripe old age that you decide you want it back to original and being cool isn't as cool as it used to be you can dig out the parts and start the fun process of taking her back.

Hook